TX TX - Joshua Davis, 18 months, New Braunfels, 4 Feb 2011 - # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.She said the steps were covered with ice, therefore slippery. From experience going down steps can be quite a task for a small child, and add to that the steps may have been slippery.

Good point. I'd forgotten about the ice. That does make me adjust the chance he made his own way out somewhat. Even if he made it down the steps without being hurt badly, it would probably be so slippery and scary he'd start hollering. Kids that age tend to be fearless right up until something goes wrong, and then they shut down and look for an adult. So just how difficult the stairs would have been does seem pretty important.

2. Everyone knows the family friend left, could be because he said goodbye, or it could be that they heard the door. If that is the case, perhaps they should or could have heard the door when the baby went out...I'd like to know if the door was one that would sort of close automatically or if you had to push it closed (the glass door).

The friend probably announced he was leaving -- it's hard to say whether if he'd just snuck out, anyone would have noticed.

3. The beanie incident makes me think of how people tell a story and they are telling you parts of what happened. They inadvertently tell you things that are important even though they may be attempting to deceive you. (Again, not saying that's the case here at all)

That does happen, and it could have happened here, whether with the beanie remark or something else said, so analyzing the family's statements has its potential usefulness. I just think there's a danger in going too far -- anything can start to seem suspicious if you stare at it long enough, like repeating a word until it sounds like gibberish or staring at an object until it appears to waver or change shape. A kind of mental illusion which everybody is prone to, myself most definitely included. However, since we have nothing else to go on, we can only rely on our personal interpretation. So I can't say I think you're wrong, just that my reaction is different.

4. I agree about the sports thing. My husband got so into the superbowl that he missed my daughter knocking my laptop off the table (grrr)

Oh sheesh, that's not too observant, no. All I can say is I think we might have some kind of primitive caveman brain switch which tells us that we must put all our attention on the game because the man with the ball might, at any time, be eaten by a tiger.

6. I just find the wording of some things and the nature of this unsettling, but I can't really pretend to know the dynamics of that family or the dynamics of the relationship between Sabrina and Joshua Sr.

I think that's one of the big question marks -- we just don't know what the family is like. They could hate each other and be constantly fighting; they could be incredibly loving and supportive. It's frustrating when all we can do is analyze possibly incomplete and out of context statements found in the media. But that's why discussions like this are interesting and useful to me, I suppose. More people thinking and talking about the mysteries can help clarify a lot that one person alone might miss.

One more point on wandering off -- the condition of the steps might have prevented it, but if he did manage, in my view he could have gotten himself shockingly far.

Just the other day I took my five year old daughter to an indoor playground type place called Kidzvillage. There was a toddler there who must have been about Joshua's age -- one of those kids so tiny it seems funny that they're walking so well. But that little dude was seriously booking around -- so fast that his parents would literally just bend down to pick something up, and he'd be so far across the room you could barely see him through the other kids. My daughter adores babies and toddlers, so she was following him around a bit, and I could tell that even she found it hard to keep up with how quickly he'd zoom off in some new direction. I think it's easy to forget just how mobile and unpredictable they can be at that age.

Thanks! I am confused about the children. Does she have more children?

I think the confusion stems from the fact that some articles said this pregnancy was their 3rd child. But from what I gather, this was her second pregnancy. The older boy is her boyfriends from another relationship.

My daughter was in New Branfels today. She does real estate and lives not far from NB anyway, and she is telling me that she saw a Missing Poster for Joshua at T&A or TA, a big truck stop there on the north side of town, and the poster had Joshua listed as being 3 years old.

We have been talking about this case so she knew I had said Joshua was 18 mos. old, but she'd also heard that from my granddaughter's other grandmother.

I have a hard time believing that posters with incorrect information are being put up, and I'm really hoping that one of our dear posters here that's in New Braunfels will run by that truck stop to verify this if you have a chance or inclination.

I asked my daughter repeatedly if she was sure about the age on the poster, and she swears it says 3 years old.

My daughter was in New Branfels today. She does real estate and lives not far from NB anyway, and she is telling me that she saw a Missing Poster for Joshua at T&A or TA, a big truck stop there on the north side of town, and the poster had Joshua listed as being 3 years old.

We have been talking about this case so she knew I had said Joshua was 18 mos. old, but she'd also heard that from my granddaughter's other grandmother.

I have a hard time believing that posters with incorrect information are being put up, and I'm really hoping that one of our dear posters here that's in New Braunfels will run by that truck stop to verify this if you have a chance or inclination.

I asked my daughter repeatedly if she was sure about the age on the poster, and she swears it says 3 years old.

Wow. I see on the Facebook page for Joshua that different people are chipping in and printing their own posters, so maybe someone has made a mistake...

I don't really want to start a parenting debate, but 18 months is pretty young to yell at over messing with your hat. JUST my opinion. Doesn't sound like a normal level of tolerance. Again JMO

I had the impression he wasn't really yelling at Little Joshua, it was more like "hey, don't mess with my beanie" in a jovial, joking sort of way. But again that was just my impression.

The article in this link has a photo of Sabrina and "the missing child's older brother, [D], 6."

Is [D] also Sabrina's child?

Thanks! I am confused about the children. Does she have more children?

I'm not sure. There were pictures of a young girl (about 3 or 4?) in one of the latest San Antonio news articles. She was not as dark skinned as Joshua. It could be that she had a child prior to Josh Sr. and her relationship (he did too - the 6 y/o J).

I had the impression he wasn't really yelling at Little Joshua, it was more like "hey, don't mess with my beanie" in a jovial, joking sort of way. But again that was just my impression.

That was my initial impression too. But when I saw his short clip where he said he misses the baby's playing w/his ' dirty ' toys and making dirty messes in room[ PARAPHRASING ALERT] it made me wonder.

My toddlers made messes for sure, but they are not really 'dirty' messes unless one is talking about diaper issues. So that was a red flag imo. Plenty of parents have the misguided impression that 18 month old children should be using the toilet faithfully. And many kids have died because of 'messing their pants.'

The article in this link has a photo of Sabrina and "the missing child's older brother, D, 6."

Is D also Sabrina's child?

We don't know.

Some articles have said she is pregnant with her second son, others have said her third pregnancy/son.

The little girl was seen in a photo, the first weekend either Sat or Sunday, playing on a scooter in their yard.

Just a guess on my part, but I'm thinking she is a relatives child.

There is also a photo on a friend or relative's FB (avatar) of baby Josh standing near a new born (1 to 2 months old in appearance). Wondering if this was the other baby in the house that day, who Josh was interested in.

My impression as well. Joshua tries to grab dad's beanie. Dad says "stop." Joshua smiles.

That was my initial impression too. But when I saw his short clip where he said he misses the baby's playing w/his ' dirty ' toys and making dirty messes in room[ PARAPHRASING ALERT] it made me wonder.

My toddlers made messes for sure, but they are not really 'dirty' messes unless one is talking about diaper issues. So that was a red flag imo. Plenty of parents have the misguided impression that 18 month old children should be using the toilet faithfully. And many kids have died because of 'messing their pants.'

My boy made messes, dirty messes. I think it depends on the kids, though too. Some don't like getting dirty, and others can't seem to stay clean. lol

Well, I think that is highly unusual, and not common at all.
I worked with a woman once who had two or three daughters, and all of them had the same middle name as she did. I asked her once why she did this and she said she was young and thought it was cute. Go figure.
I just can't see one woman giving her own child the exact name as the ex's child. Women are notoriously jealous and want their own kids to be unique. I could have named my son a Jr. with his dad's middle name... but he already had one son with his middle name, so I gave him his grandpa's middle name. Didn't want to be a copycat. Found out several years later that he makes the third grandson with his grandpa's middle name. Had I known that, I would have stuck another name on him.
I guess I'm just picky.

I agree it's highly unusual -- I was just pointing out it happens. An old neighbor of mine named her two boys David and Davie. I also worked with two brothers named James Dean - after their father. It's ridiculous, but it happens.

Not that it matters, though, cuz it looks as though big brothers names starts with a D

My impression is that he's experiencing the terrible pain of realizing that even the less convenient or difficult aspects of someone you love are things you would give anything to have back once they are gone. Different people just use different words. I don't think "dirty" is such an unusual term for the messes toddlers can make. Some people say "dirty" instead of "messy" or "untidy" without meaning anything different from those terms. The way a person thinks and talks in the middle of a crisis isn't necessarily linear, rational or understandable to someone from the outside, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23