TX TX - Julie Moseley, 9, Mary Trlica, 17, Lisa Wilson, 14, Fort Worth, 23 Dec 1974 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the "transmission fluid barrels" theory is pretty popular, but LE must have different ideas (unless they've changed their minds in the last 22 years). In 2001, they had sent out all those letters (around 150) to Coroners' offices in a 5 state area. I know I've already posted about that, but I'm thinking that they wouldn't have bothered doing that, if they were certain the girls' bodies were in a local landfill or incinerator. It'd be pointless. Someone with more knowledge of police procedure, feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
I understand the "transmission fluid barrels" theory is pretty popular, but LE must have different ideas (unless they've changed their minds in the last 22 years). In 2001, they had sent out all those letters (around 150) to Coroners' offices in a 5 state area. I know I've already posted about that, but I'm thinking that they wouldn't have bothered doing that, if they were certain the girls' bodies were in a local landfill or incinerator. It'd be pointless. Someone with more knowledge of police procedure, feel free to correct me.
Im not certain the letters weren't part of a - lets be seen to be doing something when theres little else to work with- move by LE.
Also if LE said they believed the barrels/ landfill/ incinerator theories to be correct there would be a massive uproar as that would kind of point people in the direction of certain people being guilty, and they would need to be mindful of the implications of that.

My thoughts are the original investigation dismissed these girls too easily as runaways and so vital evidence was missed/ not even looked for. Therefore any cold case going back now is also going to be missing that evidence, and so might well have those suspects, but have major blanks about where those suspects were and what they were doing in dec74, and those blanks are likely the reason LE can't locate or determine what happened to the girls/ remains.

I think that police departments are very constrained by budgetary concerns. Sending out letters to coroners' offices doesn't cost very much. You're talking under $100 in postage and supplies, and any low-wage office assistant can stuff envelopes.

Conducting a search in the field with trained personnel, on the other hand, would cost thousands of dollars, especially if they need to use ground penetrating radar, dig with heavy equipment, etc. They're not going to conduct that kind of a search without a credible tip. They simply can't afford to do so.

If TT was involved, it is unlikely that the girls were moved very far outside of the Texas. It's possible he might have found time to make it across state lines to Oklahoma, Arkansas, or Louisiana. Many killers have moved bodies across county lines or across state lines in order to delay identification. He could have even driven the bodies into Oklahoma and dumped them on Chickasaw land. If he did something like that, it must have been on the day they disappeared, before the police report was even filed. After that, people would have been watching him more carefully and would have noticed any extended absences from the area.

On the off chance that someone other than TT was the killer—someone like Melvin, for instance—then additional possibilities open up.

I wish we knew everything that the police knew. Even though I think that the car was staged, maybe it wasn't. Maybe a predator offered to give the girls a lift to their car and then got control of them and took off. Some predators have done things like monkey with the passenger doors so they can't be opened from inside the vehicle. Once the victims are in the vehicle, it's game, set, match.

Last edited:
I would think LE would have gone over that Minot house with a fine tooth comb. Be hard to kill 3 people there without a trace or drop of blood but who knows. I'm leaning more towards the transmission shop and CA calling big brother to come with a truck and get the bodies. The girls put in 55 gallon drums theory sounds good to me too. You could go down a 100 rabbit holes.

Yes, I don't think the transmission shop can be ruled out at all. IIRC, it was not actually too far from the Mall ? Maybe the girls stopped off there and the situation went downhill quickly...or they were initially taken there from elsewhere (e.g Minot or the Mall).

Not sure if I would have CA as my top suspect though, although it's possible he may have had his own motives for wanting RA gone .

Im not certain the letters weren't part of a - lets be seen to be doing something when theres little else to work with- move by LE.
Also if LE said they believed the barrels/ landfill/ incinerator theories to be correct there would be a massive uproar as that would kind of point people in the direction of certain people being guilty, and they would need to be mindful of the implications of that.

My thoughts are the original investigation dismissed these girls too easily as runaways and so vital evidence was missed/ not even looked for. Therefore any cold case going back now is also going to be missing that evidence, and so might well have those suspects, but have major blanks about where those suspects were and what they were doing in dec74, and those blanks are likely the reason LE can't locate or determine what happened to the girls/ remains.
That "massive uproar" from certain folks would be kinda stupid. I'd think that would only confirm LE's suspicions. It would be smarter to remain indifferent and downplay the situation. After all, "LE doesn't have anything, or they'd have made an arrest by now"...

Last edited:
Yes, I don't think the transmission shop can be ruled out at all. IIRC, it was not actually too far from the Mall ? Maybe the girls stopped off there and the situation went downhill quickly...or they were initially taken there from elsewhere (e.g Minot or the Mall).

Not sure if I would have CA as my top suspect though, although it's possible he may have had his own motives for wanting RA gone .
It could happen at the transmission shop, but I think there are issues with that. It would be unlikely that one person (TT) or two people, one with cancer (TT and CA) alone could run the shop. Other mechanics, a cashier or receptionist, customers, the tow truck operator? Any number of other people could be around the shop at any given time.
It is possible business may have been slow as Christmas approached.

That "massive uproar" from certain folks would be kinda stupid. I'd think that would only confirm LE's suspicions. It would be smarter to remain indifferent and downplay the situation. After all, "LE doesn't have anything, or they'd have made an arrest by now"...
Oh I more meant from outsiders jumping to the assumption that LE saying those scenarios were involved meant certain people had to be involved. When you think of what gets said on social media without any indication either way from LE I can only imagine what would come of them saying they believed the girls were in barrels etc.

Although I agree that TT could've killed the girls (accidental, jealous rage....), I  don't believe it happened at the shop. Why would his own alibi place him at the scene of the crime?? (We have the same issue with DA) Besides, his "work alibi" looks like Swiss cheese.

On the off chance that someone other than TT was the killer—someone like Melvin, for instance—then additional possibilities open up.

The 2001 press conference really makes it sound like the walls are closing in. With all the talk about DNA and new witnesses it's possible someone could have been spooked into making a move. Now someone can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the account by Bill Hutchins come out right after that? I don't think he was just an attention seeker either because I can't see any history he has of doing such things. Is it possible he was covering for someone? If we were to learn that he was would we also learn that this person was driving a pick up truck at that time, is close in age and similar in looks to the security guard that Hutchins accused of being with the girls?

The 2001 press conference really makes it sound like the walls are closing in. With all the talk about DNA and new witnesses it's possible someone could have been spooked into making a move. Now someone can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the account by Bill Hutchins come out right after that? I don't think he was just an attention seeker either because I can't see any history he has of doing such things. Is it possible he was covering for someone? If we were to learn that he was would we also learn that this person was driving a pick up truck at that time, is close in age and similar in looks to the security guard that Hutchins accused of being with the girls?
In 2001, it had been nearly 27 years since the crime occurred.

That was 22 years ago, so it has now been nearly 49 years.

If the walls are closing in, they're taking their time.

In 2001, it had been nearly 27 years since the crime occurred.

That was 22 years ago, so it has now been nearly 49 years.

If the walls are closing in, they're taking their time.

We know this now but I can see how in 2001 LE could have led someone to think differently.

 Rachel, Renee, and Julie disappeared sometime in the afternoon, on the 23rd.
1. We have reason to believe they stopped at Army Navy Store (en route to the Mall).
2. We also have reason to believe they  did make it to the Mall (at least once).
3. The Olds they left home in was found parked/locked at the Mall that evening.
4. TT places himself at work for full work day (which is doubtful), till he comes home to get ready for bowling (which DA says didn't happen). He then catches a ride with (?) who drops him off at bowling alley, where he bowls 6:30pm-8:30pm.
5. DA places herself at the house all day--sleeping in late, seeing the girls at approximately 12:30 pm - per MP report (which may not be strictly accurate), then picking up TT from bowling at 8:30pm, and ( ? )till about 11:00pm.
6. ST also places herself at the house, seeing the girls around 12:30 pm, picking up Shawn (who wasn't supposed to be there, and wasn't there, according to DA).
I may have left out a few things, but this was  my attempt at a timeline/comparison of alibis for these three individuals.
If the house at Minot is a crime scene, ST becomes a POI. If we eliminate the house at Minot, and the transmission shop as crime scenes, what other plausible options are there?

 Rachel, Renee, and Julie disappeared sometime in the afternoon, on the 23rd.
1. We have reason to believe they stopped at Army Navy Store (en route to the Mall).
2. We also have reason to believe they  did make it to the Mall (at least once).
3. The Olds they left home in was found parked/locked at the Mall that evening.
4. TT places himself at work for full work day (which is doubtful), till he comes home to get ready for bowling (which DA says didn't happen). He then catches a ride with (?) who drops him off at bowling alley, where he bowls 6:30pm-8:30pm.
5. DA places herself at the house all day--sleeping in late, seeing the girls at approximately 12:30 pm - per MP report (which may not be strictly accurate), then picking up TT from bowling at 8:30pm, and ( ? )till about 11:00pm.
6. ST also places herself at the house, seeing the girls around 12:30 pm, picking up Shawn (who wasn't supposed to be there, and wasn't there, according to DA).
I may have left out a few things, but this was  my attempt at a timeline/comparison of alibis for these three individuals.
If the house at Minot is a crime scene, ST becomes a POI. If we eliminate the house at Minot, and the transmission shop as crime scenes, what other plausible options are there?
It seems like DA kept saying that last time she saw Rachel was sometime around 10 AM. MPR is the only source that says 12:30 PM and assuming that is the most accurate then Grandma, TM and two other girls also are off the later-told timeline.

Maybe their business was doing so poorly cause there was no one to offer service to customers?

I'd tend to think that there is likely nothing to it, and coworkers/employees statements were simply not made public. Cause if not, then it doesn't make any sense.

If any of those five people: CA, FA, TT, ST & DA:
1) had nothing to do with the disappearance,
2) had no knowledge about the disappearance,
3) wasn't completely terrified or blackmailed by one or more among those mentioned,
4) didn't suspect the other people mentioned as possibly knowing something or having anything to do with it
then there would be nothing, absolutely nothing that would stop at least one of them from coming forward with theory that it has to be checked as fast and as thoroughly as possible IF by any chance Rachel hasn't called workshop on that day or haven't showed up.

Isn't that pretty logical and distinct possibility that wife could do that?
No matter what caused their disappearance, no matter if they were kidnapped or runaways.
Cause the facts were that girls weren't there and if there was anyone at the workshop who could pick up that call or whitness Rachel stopping by they should be questioned about it immediately.
It's not one of those handsight is 20/20 things, it's pretty generic, basic, not even especially sharp thinking. It should cross their minds in the matter of first day or two.
Even considering that ST and DA could not have much knowledge about how the workshop works, it's still a thing to wonder and share that wonder out loud. But somehow it hasn't been done?
It either:
a) was checked and coworkers supported TT,
b) was checked but either nobody else or nobody at all was at the workshop on that day,
c) wasn't checked cause all of the 5 were either involved, scared or stunningly stupid (but how many stupid people could be there - two more families and some lousy cops joined the search and somehow nobody wondered about it?).

someone can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the account by Bill Hutchins come out right after that? I don't think he was just an attention seeker either because I can't see any history he has of doing such things. Is it possible he was covering for someone? If we were to learn that he was would we also learn that this person was driving a pick up truck at that time, is close in age and similar in looks to the security guard that Hutchins accused of being with the girls?
He probably did.
And who else allegedly saw girls forced into a (yellow?) pickup truck? That elderly woman who spoke about it with clerks but was never found after being basically instructed through press to call A's, not cops. Surely till 2001 he had plenty of occasions to learn about that report but...

Just for the record, yet without the actual record (the only mention about specific location of the alleged sighting comes from wikipedia page and source doesn't exist anymore so I don't know):

Arrows points at the entrance to the Murphy's.
Buddies groccery store was where the circle is.

1678841265936.png

Was it common practice for cops in FW to have secretaries?

They probably walked through Sears and then into Murphy's. To a teenager Murphy's was the most popular store in the Mall and Spencer's gifts would be 2nd. Almost every kid would go downstairs at Murphy's and look at the Pet section. They had a $499.00 dollar fish (Oscar) and you could buy baby alligators for $12.99.

While on the subject of Bill Hutchins I thought I would share a link to this clipping.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Aug 15 1974
Pg 48

This guy's story also sounds ridiculous, com-freaking-leatly ridiculous.

How did he managed to whitness those three girls in the pickup truck at the 11:30 PM completely oblivious to the fact that three young girls are missing?
Did he just showed up for work/started his shift then? Possibly...
There was no usual drill with guards, exchanging the most important info about what happened during the day? Maybe...
If they were dealing with gangs and burglars before, dangerous enough to put weapons on people it doesn't sound like a reasonable policy... maybe they just weren't reasonable.

So he and his security crew managed to miss:
- the news about disappearance,
- car parked at the employees parking lot (maybe that one was easy to miss, maybe),
- cops showing up to the scene,
- multiple family members searching and asking, likely also calling,
- two armed guys hiding near Sears entrance whole night (so the exact store that they were supposed to guard).

Really? Wow. Okay.
Later he learned about the disappearance, but did only as little as calling police station once and leaving a message to some unspecified person - and despite of not being called back or talken to about it, he still kept such a vivid memory of that late night sighting for over 25 years. That sounds unusual.

And in the article he sounds so creepy!

Maybe it's my sexism speaking but I can't imagine teenage girls being more into stealing than teenage boys... unless teenage boys were hanging out somewhere else and mall was more of a "girly" place to hang out. I can imagine them being way easier to catch.
What the hell does that mean:
"And most who get caught could easily have paid for what they stole" he said. "Some teen-age girls when apprehended have a roll of bills on them that someties total $80"

80$ in 1974 is more than 500$ in today's money.
Seriously?
Some teenage girls were just walking around Seminary South in 1974 HAVING LIKE FIVE OR SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS IN TODAYS MONEY ON THEM?!

And I thought I couldn't possibly get more suspicious about this guy.
So focused on hunting for rich, spoiled teenage girls with pockets full of money.

Is this just me or the other two security chiefs (Dyson and Tyree) mentioned in the article are really reasonably speaking and sounding normally while he doesn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam