GUILTY TX - Kari Baker, 31, found dead in her Hewitt home, 7 April 2006

Justice in Waco,
Yes, I read that entire article and even took notes as there were so many contradictions in it from what the police reports and the 20/20 show. That article, for those interested is at: http://www.texasmonthly.com/preview/2008-03-01/feature You have to register, but it is free and the read is well worth it if you are looking for details on the case. It is worth it just to see how arrogant this man is and how he thinks he is smarter than the average Joe as he contradicts himself a bunch. The term, Ideation of Grandeur comes to mind!

I have notes from when I watch the 20/20 tape too. So many things don't add up and odd things like the position of the decorative pillows to the livor mortis setting in to her arms both above her head as if dragged to her supposedly being naked and he dressed her yet she still had her jewelery on. Who gets in the bath with jewelery on and if they take it off, who puts it back on before morning. Who thinks let me be found naked but with all my jewelery on. What gives with Matt always talking about the baths. He makes a point that she was in the bath, I think he says she almost fell asleep in the bath and then he talks of giving the girls the baths --- such details are usually for a reason, IMHO. (BTW that is rhetorical question as I know you can't answer case related questions) I could write pages and pages here of all the things odd and all the contradictions!
So, here is my questions of the day! LOL
If you were going to kill yourself (ladies especially) would you strip down naked but leave your rings, necklace and ear-rings on......especially if you had supposedly been in the bath and were sick and gotten out late in the eve?
Would you send your hubby to get movies and gas at 11:15 if you had been feeling ill all night? Or was someone trying to establish an alibi?
How many teachers do you know who don't know the proper use of the words to and too? How many do you know who would type I am not I'm ?
Just a sampling of the rattles that go on in my mind about this case!

I'm just itching to discuss.....but, alas..... Not much longer, though. I very much appreciate your tenacity and your attention to detail.

I'm still not positive about what all the camera IN the courtroom will be allowed to show as far as daily updates. I'm going to talk to someone tomorrow about some things and hopefully I'll remember to ask that one.

I was contacted by a reporter for the WacoTrib.com, our local newspaper, and she said she is going to be live-blogging the whole trial, started Monday afternoon. If this is like what another reporter for the Trib has done a couple of times, it's in the court's office next door to the courtroom updating what's going on. Let me find a link to one of the previous ones:
http://www.wacotrib.com/blogs/conte...9/04/24/live_blog_april_24_hearing_for_1.html

Don't know if that will work for you. We'll see once I hit send. This reporter could hear what's going on in the courtroom, I believe. Don't know if the reporter this time will be able to or not. Would be nice. But trials and evidence and witnesses and jurors make for much stricter rules. When I know, I'll let ya'll know.

I'm still not positive about what all the camera IN the courtroom will be allowed to show as far as daily updates. I'm going to talk to someone tomorrow about some things and hopefully I'll remember to ask that one.

I was contacted by a reporter for the WacoTrib.com, our local newspaper, and she said she is going to be live-blogging the whole trial, started Monday afternoon. If this is like what another reporter for the Trib has done a couple of times, it's in the court's office next door to the courtroom updating what's going on. Let me find a link to one of the previous ones:
http://www.wacotrib.com/blogs/conte...9/04/24/live_blog_april_24_hearing_for_1.html

Don't know if that will work for you. We'll see once I hit send. This reporter could hear what's going on in the courtroom, I believe. Don't know if the reporter this time will be able to or not. Would be nice. But trials and evidence and witnesses and jurors make for much stricter rules. When I know, I'll let ya'll know.

Thanks Justice in Waco --- I can't wait to hear what you find out. I can lend you a pen to write a note on your hand about the cameras!
0======> (use your imagination, that is a pen! LOL) :couch:

So, here is my questions of the day! LOL
If you were going to kill yourself (ladies especially) would you strip down naked but leave your rings, necklace and ear-rings on......especially if you had supposedly been in the bath and were sick and gotten out late in the eve?
Would you send your hubby to get movies and gas at 11:15 if you had been feeling ill all night? Or was someone trying to establish an alibi?
How many teachers do you know who don't know the proper use of the words to and too? How many do you know who would type I am not I'm ?
Just a sampling of the rattles that go on in my mind about this case!

I've never left jewelry on for a bath, sick or not. Not even my wedding ring. If I've been sick for the day, I wouldn't have had jewelry on at all. But... I don't like to wear jewelry.

If I'd been sick, I wouldn't have sent my dh out for movies (I thought he picked up wine coolers- or am I mixing this up with another case?) but would consider sending him to the store for soda or pepto or something like that.

The proper usage of 'to' and 'too' seem to be words that a teacher would be well acquainted with, IMO. (Two, to and too are words we were taught by 2nd grade, IIRC.)

Keep rattling, it's easier to remember things when someone is recalling the details. You bring up interesting points.

It sounds like a guy's idea of an alibi...the last minute renting of a movie at 11:30 p.m. (When A Man Loves A Woman, the same movie that he took her to on their first date....that sounds just too "sappy" to me), picking up wine coolers?? If I had been sick earlier in the evening that would be the furthest thing on my mind. I agree, Pepto Bismol would be the only thing I would want. As far as the jewelry - no way would I ever put it on after a bath.

This guy totally gives me the creeps!!!

I've never left jewelry on for a bath, sick or not. Not even my wedding ring. If I've been sick for the day, I wouldn't have had jewelry on at all. But... I don't like to wear jewelry.

If I'd been sick, I wouldn't have sent my dh out for movies (I thought he picked up wine coolers- or am I mixing this up with another case?) but would consider sending him to the store for soda or pepto or something like that.

The proper usage of 'to' and 'too' seem to be words that a teacher would be well acquainted with, IMO. (Two, to and too are words we were taught by 2nd grade, IIRC.)

Keep rattling, it's easier to remember things when someone is recalling the details. You bring up interesting points.

Well there is Matt's awful bad luck with computers - (she said with sarcasm dripping!)
When investigators asked to examine the actual computer that was on Matt's desk, they discovered that it wasn't his. Sometime in mid-June, when the search for evidence got underway, someone had replaced Matt's desktop computer with his secretary's, and Matt's had vanished.

Matt said he had no clue why someone would want to take that computer and that there was nothing on the computer that he didn't want anyone to see. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008...79955_page4.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Same article: "We talked about everything that I was supposed to get and I left," he said. "We had a conversation. I leaned down and kissed her on the forehead before I left."

But when asked two months later if she was talking or said goodbye to him, Matt told Moriarty, "She had rolled back over and gone back to sleep. So
when I left, she was asleep."

And remember how Matt said he first found out that Kari killed herself? "The police officer brings me the note. And that was the first thought at that point in time, she took her own life."

Yet, he had clearly read the note when he called the 911 operator. "I think my wife just committed suicide. …And her lips are blue, hands are cold, and there’s a note that says 'I’m sorry,' basically," he told the operator.

So -- if you kissed the forehead goodbye (then selectively didn't two months later!) lips being sensitive you would know if you kissed warm or cool, right?!
Then you forget what you told the operator in your best Oscar performance attempt............ oh and then there is her lips are blue and hand are cold (now from the looks of the photos I have seen of Kari I would guess her to have been around a size 14 give or take, JMO and observation)
so, now read this tidbit:
The Body After Death

After the heart stops beating, the body immediately starts turning cold. This phase is known as algor mortis, or the death chill. Each hour, the body temperature falls about 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit (0.83 degrees Celsius) until it reaches room temperature. At the same time, without circulation to keep it moving through the body, blood starts to pool and settle. Rigor mortis, or a stiffening of the body, sets in about two to six hours after death.
http://health.howstuffworks.com/dying4.htm

Now Matt left around 11:15 and returned at midnight - well gosh that man must have super powers - he could feel less than 1.5 degree change in body temp???????? Oh, and I can find a source if asked, but if you are not real thin and tiny with each pound you hold your body temp longer.

Then his attorney blames EMS for the bruise on her nose:
Asked about the abrasion on her nose, Gray said, "The first thing the emergency people did when they got there was put one of these artificial CPR deals over her mouth."
Does this look like it causes a bruise? (btw - from my hospital days I have never seen anyone get a bruise from one)
http://www.dreamstime.com/ambu-bag-thumb8428556.jpg
Oh and another goodie from the attorney in this article:
He said that if Kari had been suffocated with a pillow or a similar object, there would be some evidence. "Some of that fiber is sucked into your lungs or nasal cavity or whatever. In the autopsy, they did not find any types of fiber," Gray said.
Note the word choice.......some similar object...........note the bruise......think of objects not similar!

Then there is the search for Computer records provided by the Waco Center for Youth reveal that, in early March 2006, the Defendant began to seek internet sites dealing with drug overdose and specifically with prescription drugs. On March 9, 2006, the Defendant did a computer search regarding “overdose by sleeping pill.” Also on March 9,2006, the Defendant did a computer search for the prescription drug Ambien. As Affiant will describe later, it was determined that Kari Baker had Ambien in her system at the time of her death. On March 20, 21 and 23, 2006, the Defendant visited numerous internet sites that which sold prescription medication. On March 26, 2006, at 1:12 p.m., the Defendant visited an internet site known as “prescriptiondrugplanet.” Two (2) minutes later, at 1:14 p.m., a site known as “pharmbilling” was connected to the Defendant’s computer. Your Affiant believes that “pharmbilling” is a service, which handles payment for prescription medication ordered from an internet site. In addition, on March 23,2006, at 1:28 p.m., the Defendant’s computer at the Waco Center for Youth was connected to an internet site registered as “SecureRxCart.” Your Affiant believes that this is another indication of a purchase by the Defendant of prescription medication ordered from an internet site.
From the arrest affidavit http://dontevengetstarted.blogspot.com/2007/12/arrest-affadavit.html

And those are just off the top of my head! If you want me to keep remembering, I can pull out my notes!

It sounds like a guy's idea of an alibi...the last minute renting of a movie at 11:30 p.m. (When A Man Loves A Woman, the same movie that he took her to on their first date....that sounds just too "sappy" to me), picking up wine coolers?? If I had been sick earlier in the evening that would be the furthest thing on my mind. I agree, Pepto Bismol would be the only thing I would want. As far as the jewelry - no way would I ever put it on after a bath.

This guy totally gives me the creeps!!!

Exactly! Oh and the movie...... I will rant about similarities about that another day! I must do the dishes before I can play on WS anymore. Be back soon! :angel:

Thanks for the link to the 48 Hours pages. I'm gonna have to read and refresh my memory.

I remember the bruise issue bothered me when we watched the episode and the computer issue was hinky, IMO. I remember having a strong dislike for 'him' when I watched the episode. Sometimes the shows leave me 'not so sure', but he was one of the few that didn't sit well with me and it stuck.

Thanks for the link to the 48 Hours pages. I'm gonna have to read and refresh my memory.

I remember the bruise issue bothered me when we watched the episode and the computer issue was hinky, IMO. I remember having a strong dislike for 'him' when I watched the episode. Sometimes the shows leave me 'not so sure', but he was one of the few that didn't sit well with me and it stuck.

Your welcome Boyz and thanks for joining the discussion. I was getting lonely here!
Now this link is old - back when it looked as if Kari's parents had no other choice than pursue a civil case (but of course that changed! So that case will have to wait and I imagine be refiled soon!) but this article shows how low Matt went in writing a letter begging for "donations" and he even had Kari's two small girls sign the letter. To me, that boarders on child abuse if not certainly neglect for their emotional well being. You do not involve children in the affairs (both in the courtroom and elsewhere). In addition this article tells about him giving KARI's cell phone to his girlfriend he cheated on her with just days after her death.
Quote from article: Baker has denied he killed his wife and has denied he was having an affair with a woman from his church in Lorena, to whom he gave his wife’s cell phone days after her death.
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/05/10/05102008wacMattBakerupdate.html
(Of course we know that she is the star witness for the prosecution and the articles I have read implied her testimony was instrumental at the Grand Jury.)

I read somewhere and it might have been a comment by a blogger so this is my memory only (until I find a link) but they talked for hours each day after the girls went to school. Seems I read that it averaged like 4 hours a day and was like 1700 - 1800 minutes on HER phone. This days after her death.
I will try to find a link for that.

I was fired up in my last post because I think the defendant or defense team or family are posting on the last Waco Trib article and I hate when people play games with such serious issues. http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2010/01/06/01062010wacbaker.html#comments
When I get really ticked I get sarcastic and fervent! Hope you all got that!

News_Junkie, I didn't know about the 'donation' letters. Kinda makes me throw up up in my mouth. I love that you pay attention to details- I get hung up on details and then I get frustrated and might frustrate you along the way. (Just warning you ahead of time. :blushing:) Thanks a lot for any links you can bring over. Also, I don't mind sarcasm. Sometimes I get a little sarcastic and don't know if it relays well.

JusticeInWaco, I'm not sure if 'the rule' applies to you but people with connections to cases usually check in with Tricia (owner of WS) to inform her of who they are or how they are 'connected' with a case. Someone in moderation would probably be able to answer your question about IP addresses and if/when they are checked.

News_Junkie, I didn't know about the 'donation' letters. Kinda makes me throw up up in my mouth. I love that you pay attention to details- I get hung up on details and then I get frustrated and might frustrate you along the way. (Just warning you ahead of time. :blushing:) Thanks a lot for any links you can bring over. Also, I don't mind sarcasm. Sometimes I get a little sarcastic and don't know if it relays well.

JusticeInWaco, I'm not sure if 'the rule' applies to you but people with connections to cases usually check in with Tricia (owner of WS) to inform her of who they are or how they are 'connected' with a case. Someone in moderation would probably be able to answer your question about IP addresses and if/when they are checked.

BoyzMum,
I only get frustrated at justice not being served! While I try to stay ahead of the blizzard here, have you read this interview with Matt?

One part (there are several!) that really creeps me out is this:
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2007/12/08/12082007wactommytranscript.html
Baker: Yes, Kensi is our first-born. We find out we’re pregnant around Christmastime. So Kensi’s our first and oldest. Kassidy was born in November ‘97.

Q: What was wrong with her?

Baker: Her first birthday, we had her party and she threw up that day. That was her first sign of even being sick up to that point. These are my wife’s journals she wrote to Kassidy. At her first birthday, she got sick that week. We went to the doctor I believe Monday and then finally Friday she was getting lethargic, wasn’t eating, wasn’t drinking. On that Friday we put her in the hospital, Hillcrest, for impending dehydration. That was what they put her in for. My mom was in the hospital with her and actually Jim Dulin was there when Kassidy had a seizure in my mom’s arms. And they did a spinal tap on her and they pulled out to see if she had meningitis, that was their first thought, I think. There was no fluid in her spinal tap and they knew something was wrong. They went to an MRI and found out she had a brain tumor. We went to Cook’s hospital in Fort Worth, had surgery a few days later. She almost died that night in pediatric ICU at Cook. They removed the tumor. As she came out of the surgical room, we got a chance to see her, to touch her. She held her hand up to us. We went to supper and came back and that was the start of a tremendous ordeal for us all night long. Her lungs and heart, the cavity for that was filling with fluid, so it was making the heart and lungs not work properly, so they were in that cycle of trying to get ahead of what was going on in her body. So she almost passed away a few times that night, and they kept saving her. She ends up 45 days in pediatric ICU. We transition from there for 45 more days in the transitional care unit because she had a trachea. So 45 days in transitional care, still at Cook, then we got to bring her home. We brought her home in February. She started chemotherapy at that time. We had nursing care that came in and helped us eight hours a day, so that was a tremendous help. We were doing chemotherapy during that time. We were home that weekend. It would have been March 22. That was the night the Academy Awards was on. I remember staying up that night to watch that. It was the Italian director that won for best director. I don’t remember what picture, but he stood on chairs and cheered. It was a Holocaust movie. I remember staying up to watch that. We had gone in to see Kassidy. She had had diarrhea that night, so my wife and I cleaned her up. My wife and I went to bed. I went up to check on them again. Both were doing fine at about 12 o’clock. Something didn’t let me go to sleep and at 12:09 I knew I needed to check again. I went in and checked on Kassidy and she wasn’t breathing. And so I immediately yelled for my wife to get up. I took her out of her bed and started CPR. We had the bag that fitted on top of the trachea so you could pump the oxygen in. I started CPR while my wife called 9-1-1. She passed away in our house that night.

Me again - Twice he says I stayed up to watch awards. Then he says he and Kari went to bed. Then he says he went up to check on "them" again. "Both" were doing fine. Only Kassidy was sick so is both, the kids or Kari and Kassidy? Makes me wonder - did he check to make sure Kari was asleep????? Then he says at 12:09 he "knew" he had to check again and low and behold, Kassidy was not breathing. Odd that the tragedies in this home both happen around midnight and this whole exchange is awkward at best. Is it me or do others wonder if two murders occurred in that home? Is it me or does he sound more like a fish out of water and more interested in the awards than the child?

Back if I ever catch up with the snow! If I do, I will share more from that interview that contradicts other interviews and even his self in the same interview. I would love to know what others see in this interview. What questions does he divert and not answer. Does anyone find his speech pattern odd, or is that me? :waitasec: :waitasec:

I can probably attach the letter after the trial. He had the whole family sign the letter, INCLUDING the two little girls.

Thanks. I'll try to contact Tricia.

I can probably attach the letter after the trial. He had the whole family sign the letter, INCLUDING the two little girls.

Thanks. I'll try to contact Tricia.

Not used to this particular forum. What is the best way to get a private message to Tricia or another modertor that could answer my questions? I think I found Tricia's profile but all I could see was a place to leave a public visitor message. I'd rather email or private message.

Thanks!

Not used to this particular forum. What is the best way to get a private message to Tricia or another modertor that could answer my questions? I think I found Tricia's profile but all I could see was a place to leave a public visitor message. I'd rather email or private message.

Thanks!

You get pm privileges after a period of time - I think around 50 posts give or take a few. Would you like me to ask her to email you?

Different homes. They moved around a lot. I'm sure you can guess why. More answers in a couple weeks. ;) Sorry.

:banghead::banghead: Duh - silly me........... yeah, he had like what 6 different churches in 5 years......almost as many churches as........:angel:

Okay, tomorrow is Friday........do you know what that means???? No, not that balloon boy's dad is going to go for another Oscar on Larry King....... something better.........

We have a status hearing in the case! I hope we get new information and NO delays...... I am ready for next Tuesday and the start of Justice.

Thanks!

At the bottom of the page you will see a set of boxes and one of the boxes says "new to site" with an option to 'contact us' or 'view forum leaders', on the 'forum leaders' page, you will see a list of names and the different threads that each moderator moderates. Tricia's name is also there and there is an option to email her.

Sorry for the lengthy description- I'm not good at giving directions. :blushing:

Okay, tomorrow is Friday........do you know what that means???? No, not that balloon boy's dad is going to go for another Oscar on Larry King....... something better.........

We have a status hearing in the case! I hope we get new information and NO delays...... I am ready for next Tuesday and the start of Justice.

Where did you get the info on a status hearing today? I haven't seen it or had it mentioned to me at all.

I did talk to the DA's office yesterday. I didn't call Susan because I know she's probably overwhelmed with activity this week. SO I called another contact person given to me. She said:
Monday afternoon is Motions in Limine (pre-trial matters). Open to the public. Tuesday is jury selection. They have called in a much higher number of potentials, around 70. That is also open to the public BUT this is one of the smaller courtrooms in the building and squeezing 70 potentials and lawyers and court staff will be a huge challenge. I'll be there anyway. If it thins out, I'll go in. If not, I'll still be at the courthouse with eyes and ears open. She said they expect jury selection to last all day but there's a slight possibility that they might end before 5 and the Judge will have descretion on whether to go ahead and start opening statements. That's probably very unlikely, though. Wednesday is the anticipated start for opening statements and the State starting to call witnesses. She said they usually try to call witnesses in order of events. If I am actually called to testify, it'd be early like Wed or Thurs. She is going to try to find out if they actually need my testimony and if not, release me from the "can't go into the courtroom" crew. Crossing fingers!! I believe the earliest the defense can take the stand is January 19. Don't know how long they will go. My guess is not long. I think their defense is basically thinknig the State doesn't have anything. The "punishment witnesses" are on alert for January 20 and on. That phase will be very, very interesting.

I gotta run now. More later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back