Identified! TX - Kilgore, 'Lavender Doe' WhtFem 483UFTX, 17-25, in woods, burned, Oct'06 Dana L Dodd

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by jodierenee, Mar 23, 2007.

1. leilarose68

leilarose68 Well-Known Member

She would have been automatically ruled out because they both have DNA in NAMUS, at least that's what an officer working on Lavender's case told someone.

Oops, I just saw AmonAmarther's response. Referring to the same thing :)

2. FireOwl9

FireOwl9 Someday everything will make perfect sense...

Any new updates on Lavender Doe?

3. taramarie

taramarie Well-Known Member

Not that I’ve seen since they said her case was a “medium” on the toughness scale. They’re so swamped with their case load right now, I figure we should give them some space and let them give us updates when they’re ready. Hopefully they’ll let us know ASAP whenever they have some interesting news because it’s tough being patient! I wish there was more we could do to help.

4. AmonAmarther

AmonAmarther Nadia

I'm sorry if this is slightly off-topic.
    The DDP posted "November has also seen real progress on some of our cases. We hope to share some exciting news as soon as we are allowed to. Legal confirmation of identity takes time, particularly when agencies have to be concerned about the ensuing homicide investigations. So thanks for your patience and support, and stay tuned!!"

I think it means that they've solved some cases, doesn't it? I really hope Lavender Doe is on that list!

Al Ka, GreyClay, whatsnext and 8 others like this.
  5. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Well, we've been told Sheep Flats Jane Doe is solved but being kept confidential because of the homicide investigation, so "investigations" would seem to imply there are others. So hopeful! :D

madamx, Al Ka, j_in_c and 7 others like this.
  6. Mrs. Badcrumble

Mrs. Badcrumble The North remembers

EXCLUSIVE: New DNA Technology could help close local cold case

7. Springrain

Springrain Buckskin Girl was Marcia King

8. carbuff

Rah! Rah! Rah!

madamx and rats like this.
  9. Nancy Drew RN

Nancy Drew RN Well-Known Member

Hasn't Lavender's killer already confessed to her murder? I suppose that doesn't preclude an ongoing investigation, though.

madamx and Samaritan like this.
  10. carbuff

I was speaking generally about DDP's research--you're right, probably doesn't apply here unless they think there might be other people or other crimes involved.

madamx and rats like this.
  11. leilarose68

leilarose68 Well-Known Member

There was a discussion about isotopes earlier on, and I don't think this small passage was posted:

19th century Canterbury couple could help solve US body mystery

"Isotope analysis announced in 2017 suggested Annie Doe most likely came from the northeast corner of the US, but Fitzpatrick said that finding was ambiguous, with similar results likely from other places in the world."

It will be fascinating to see if there are areas that are isotopically (is that a word?) similar to the results Annie got in NZ or England.

12. Keane

Keane Active Member

13. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

From DNA Doe Project's Facebook page:

The DNA Doe Project has made an identification in the case of Lavender Doe. The young woman was discovered on October 29, 2006 in Kilgore, TX. Since July 2018, the DNA Doe Project has been working closely with the Gregg County Sheriff's Office, TX (GCSO) on this case. At the request of the GCSO no further details will be released at this time due to the open nature of her case and pending trial.

We thank Lt. Eddie Hope, Ret. Lt. Kirk Haddix and the rest of the GCSO for their tireless efforts to identify her, and entrusting us with assisting in her case. We also wish to thank the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children(NCMEC) and the National Missing & Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) for their assistance and support during the course of this project.

We also acknowledge Fulgent Genetics for the lab work, and Justin Loe of Full Genomes Corporation, Inc., and our bioinformatics expert Dr. Greg Magoon of Aerodyne Research, Inc. Our gratitude, too, to a number of DNA matches for their generous cooperation. Special thanks to Carl Koppelman for his facial approximation. Also, to all those of you who graciously sent in donations for the testing costs, we could not have done it without you.

Above all, thank you to our wonderful team of dedicated DDP volunteers.

Our condolences go out to Lavender Doe's family.

14. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Her name will not be released until the trial of her killer is completed.

15. LRMOM

LRMOM Member

Another family has received closure. Love DNA Doe Project. ❤️

16. FireOwl9

FireOwl9 Someday everything will make perfect sense...

Once again congratulations to our lovely DDP members and a big shoutout to CarlK for the massive effort and the hours they've put in into giving back our Does their names :)

May she rest in peace in heaven.

Seems like 2019 will be the year where a lot of our currently unidentified victims will finally be reunited with their families and laid to rest.

17. MarziPanda

MarziPanda Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any idea when the trial might conclude? I know that's sometimes like asking 'how long is a piece of string', but even a ballpark figure?

18. TmmEye

TmmEye WhyDoYouAsk?

I’d guess sometime in February.

carbuff likes this.
  19. Samaritan

Samaritan Follower of the Way

Such wonderful news!!! Very happy she has been identified and her family knows. Now, praying for justice to be done on her behalf.

YaYa_521, j_in_c and madamx like this.
  20. Nancy Drew RN

Nancy Drew RN Well-Known Member

Burnette's next court date ("status hearing") is 2/6/19, but it's already been moved a couple of times. Not clear when the trial will even start, let alone when it will conclude. It's possible that he could take a plea deal, but I don't know enough about the state's case to know if that's likely or would be in his interest to accept. If they really do have his DNA, that might increase the odds that he pleads guilty. I would imagine the death penalty would be on the table without a plea deal.

carbuff and AmonAmarther like this.
  21. wary

wary Well-Known Member

Is Burnette going to have any defense at all? (I know he confessed, but there’s a vast number of cases where a lawyer then moves in and claims that the confession was fantasizing, was made under duress, etc.)

So, if he does have any sort of a defense, how could her name possibly not be released? The defense is going to argue SODDI. The prosecution is going to have to show that they investigated the case. How can it possibly be preferable to convict someone of the murder of a nameless person? And then, after the sentence, say: “oh, by the way, she was ...”

What am I missing?

Samaritan and apricotdeez like this.