TX TX - Lauren Elizabeth Thompson, 32, Panola County, 10 Jan 2019 *called 911, car found in a ditch*

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by GuyfromCanada, Jan 11, 2019.

1. John David Wiles

John David Wiles Active Member

Yes I'm quite familiar with the area. We've had a lot of rain lately.

sallye818, melodyl, Angelo and 5 others like this.

2. BobbieBu

BobbieBu Active Member

Praying for her. I'm a panola county resident and live in Carthage. It's been pretty quiet lately about her. Checking often to hear any updated news on her.

3. johnbelt

johnbelt Well-Known Member

Do you know her?

ReaderRabbit, melodyl and jellybean96 like this.
  4. Luckyzmom

Luckyzmom Well-Known Member

Many thanks to all of you people that live in the area!! Most helpful. Prayers for Lauren and her family.

sallye818, melodyl, Barlow and 4 others like this.
  5. Laura H

Laura H New Member

Isn't that a few hours drive from where Brandon Lawson went missing? Any possible connection?

6. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

This article from 2018 has some updated info on Brandon and theories as to why he went missing all of which are plausible but in my opinion likely unrelated to Lauren as it's been five years and hundreds of miles from where he went missing. Five years gone: The disappearance of Brandon Lawson

melodyl, bluenoser, adot0902 and 8 others like this.
  7. NanZDrew

NanZDrew Well-Known Member

Don't think this is related. On some of the news comments, individuals have mentioned others, like Flint, that happened but they were not in Panola County, and were at least 40 miles away. I could name others, but I think they were unrelated. One of the disappearances from 1980 was a domestic situation; however, anyone in a stranded car is at risk (like Mrs. Flint, Mrs. McIntosh, and Ms. Thompson) are always at risk when their vehicle breaks down on a rode or they have a wreck. All of these people were in desolate areas so if an evil person comes by, there is little chance of a witness or cameras. It makes it really dangerous.

I just checked, and as of 5:00 pm, there is no news and no leads. The Sheriff's Department has no said whether they do or do not suspect foul play.

There will be a candlelight prayer vigil for her at the Footprints in the Sand Memorial in Carthage on Thursday night.

sallye818, YaYa_521, Razz and 6 others like this.
  8. John David Wiles

There was a retired school teacher from southeast Texas a few years ago who took an unusual road trip to see a friend up here in East Texas. She somehow wound up in Logansport Louisiana about 30 miles from me. Last seen at Goldens truck stop playing video poker. They said she won around $1,000. Was seen leaving and never seen again. Her car was found not far from there totally burned out. No sign of her. I'll try to find the story and provide a link. But it too in another of those bizzare missing persons stories that didn't get a lot of media coverage.

Jeanette Cousins Watson – The Charley Project

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  9. NanZDrew

Really, read some of the cold cases on the Texas Rangers website. It is terrifying how many women go missing walking from their home to somewhere else nearby. Very possibly someone at that truck stop may have known she had money and followed her in her car running her off the road, and took her somewhere else. Remember Lillian Desiree Descoteau who lived in Dallas and her body was found nude and murdered on an access road off of I-20 in Hallsville about 5 years ago? Never heard anything else about that case.

I just hope that somehow Lauren was picked up by a good person who took her home, and she doesn't know people are looking for her. All the other scenarios are too terrible to think about. Lots of people are praying for her safe return and believing for a miracle.

10. NanZDrew

11. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Five days and they still haven't found her, how far could she have traveled? The worrisome part is that she thought she was being followed. What doesn't make sense is that if she thought someone was following her, why turn off on a desolate road? I think Lauren is from that area and would be familiar with the gas/oil roads and that they lead to nowhere, so to speak?

They said she sounded confused. Do we know where she was coming from that night? Where had she been and what was she doing that night?

Editing my post after finding the time of the call. It was still daylight when she called 911. My question stands, where was Lauren prior to 2:30 pm on Thursday? Odd that we haven't heard those details in the media.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    mlhenn, bluenoser, sallye818 and 11 others like this.
  12. John David Wiles

Sadly the media in Panola County Texas is as slow as molasses in January. We just found out Elvis died last year!

13. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Usually someone on Facebook mentions details, silent there too.

14. Jethro4WS

Jethro4WS Well-Known Member

Lauren lived for quite a while while married in the Crosby and Southeast suburbs of Houston (Pasadena, Deer Park). So he would have to travel a good distance. Since they aren't legally divorced I wonder what the custody arrangement was and whether there was a recent swap scheduled in the time frame, anyone know?

Did she end up in Carthage due to the boyfriend she had moved on to?

15. NanZDrew

I think they are legally divorced, but the decree is not finalized. Usually, unless the terms of the divorce are decided upon ahead of time, the divorce is granted at the final hearing, but the decree is written based on the judges ruling and the parties may fight that out and a judge finalizes the decree. Since he hasn't been named as a POI, we can't mention very much about him, but probably he wasn't involved. There was a divorce with a child involved, and he did not show up, so you can draw your own conclusions.

As far as her ending up in Carthage, she is a native of the area. Some of the releases mentioned that she had lived in Palestine which is maybe 60 miles from Carthage. I think she has lived here for several years although I don't know exactly when. Often women go back to their "home" area when a relationship falls apart.

16. NanZDrew

She wrecked very near to the FM (Farm to Market Road). It is a paved road. There are lots of houses and barns. She was only 2 miles away from Highway 59 which is a major highway. There were lots of farmhouses and even old deserted barns. There are woods, and the Sabine River is also about 2 miles from there and is way out of its banks; however, I am hoping she might have stopped at one of the houses and called a friend to pick her up since her car was out of commission.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  17. Jethro4WS

18. Jethro4WS

Another story with quotes from friends
    Panola Co. woman missing since last Thursday

Authorities say she seemed confused and disoriented. Once officers arrived to her general area, they found her car stuck in a ditch off of Farm to Market 1794. ​

Both friends say she has a history of mental illness and that she's made calls. Before to the police, scared that someone was after her. ​

However, in this situation, they believe, she didn't plan her escape.​

"She didn't say anything about going anywhere, she didn't come up with a plan of no kind," Elizabeth said.​

Aqua, kimpage, sallye818 and 11 others like this.
  19. johnbelt

johnbelt Well-Known Member

This makes worried she was thinking of self harm and she is in a deserted barn around there.

20. NanZDrew

Here is a Google Street View of where the oil lease road intersects with CR 267. The oil lease road is to the left and CR 267 continues on the right. The oil lease road is wider and more open. If I would have a tendency to take the road to the left, because it looks like a better, safer road. Both roads appear to be dirt roads. We have had so much rain, the roads may have been very difficult to drive on. BTW, the Google photo is 2008, so the roads may or may not have been improved since then. This may very well be why she was stuck, at where the intersection is, CR 267 looks sort of scary with the trees growing over it.

Attached Files: