Found Deceased TX - Lauren Elizabeth Thompson, 32, Panola County, 10 Jan 2019 *called 911, car found in a ditch*

Looking back at several cases, Kelsey Berreth, Melissa Peskey, and there was one in Lufkin that escapes me, when the parent is killed or disappears and there is no clear cut custody, the child becomes a ward of the State and CPS gets involved. They will have an emergency hearing to grant temporary custody, and then sort out permanent custody later. Also, if the fathers of the children had not had contact with them within the last 6 months (I believe this is the timeframe in Texas), they can be considered to have abandoned the children. Not saying that something was not going on with Lauren, but saying that under these circumstances, it is not unusual for CPS to intervene on behalf of the child.
Here is the Lufkin case:
GUILTY - TX - Nathan, 35, & Krystal Maddox, 31, shot to death, Tyler County, 18 Jan 2014

A crazy baby momma did not want the father and his new wife to see the daughter since Nathan (father) did notwant her as part of the package. They had set up supervised visitation for the father and his wife since she was so young (toddler). His parents had also had limited access to the child. Crazy baby momma and her whole family gunned the father and his wife down at the church where the visitation was taking place with the baby present. CPS took the baby and put her in foster care. Then they started working with the father's parents to get reacquainted with the baby and to do home studies. Ultimately, the father's mother got custody, and the baby momma and her whole family are in prison...all because of jealousy and spitefulness.

The key to remember is that they found her car within 5 minutes of her call. She was close to a well-traveled road. She could not have gone far in 5 minutes even if there was not brush. I think the only answer is that someone did pick her up. Whether it was random, a friend, a stranger, an enemy...we don't know.

If she was the one who even made the call. Possibly someone else impersonated her to throw off law enforcement IMO.

Looking back at several cases, Kelsey Berreth, Melissa Peskey, and there was one in Lufkin that escapes me, when the parent is killed or disappears and there is no clear cut custody, the child becomes a ward of the State and CPS gets involved. They will have an emergency hearing to grant temporary custody, and then sort out permanent custody later. Also, if the fathers of the children had not had contact with them within the last 6 months (I believe this is the timeframe in Texas), they can be considered to have abandoned the children. Not saying that something was not going on with Lauren, but saying that under these circumstances, it is not unusual for CPS to intervene on behalf of the child.
Well in neither the Berreth case nor the Peskey did CPS get involved because there was no clear cut custody. In the Berreth (unmarried couple) case it was because Mom was dead and dad was in jail. In the Peskey case CPS involvement made no mention whatsoever that custody of the children was in question i.e. that her husband wasn't the father of the children.

As I have said I don't know why they filed the case but based on the fact that the only named party is Lauren and no one else. In the best case this is so her mother can have temporary custody. However, given that women with children go missing all the time without CPS ever getting involved, I am inclined to believe that there was already some sort of CPS investigation prior to her disappearance.

If she called the cops from her cell phone, how do we know she was in her car when she made the call? Couldn't she already have been lost in the woods by that time? Just because the cops found her car within 5 minutes of her call doesn't mean they should've been able to find her that quickly.

If she called the cops from her cell phone, how do we know she was in her car when she made the call? Couldn't she already have been lost in the woods by that time? Just because the cops found her car within 5 minutes of her call doesn't mean they should've been able to find her that quickly.
Entirely possible and something to consider.

I found the current husband in jail in Galveston county. But he has been in jail or confined to a Mental Health Facility for over 7 months and still is. So he likely won't be part of the equation here.

Wow. Poor tortured souls.

I am pretty sure this had to be going on before Lauren went missing. CPS would not normally be involved unless abuse or neglect was being charged. While one could argue she is neglecting her children because she is not here, I don't see that actually happening unless there was evidence she is choosing to be missing and neglecting.

They said at first that she had in the past had some sort of episode before. Maybe she was showing signs of MH issues and the father is also away for MH concerns.. the hospital may have to involve CPS at that point to establish emergency custody.

Texan here too! :)
So are you saying both of these missing people are suspected to be on drugs when they disappeared? I don’t think that’s against TOS if that’s what you mean. I agree that that seems to be the thinking. I think there are other similarities like both apparently left their car on foot, both called 911 confused, panicked, scared and possibly in an “altered” state. Both are gone without a trace, woods, land nearby although their cars were immediately located.
I’m not implying there’s any connection between the two cases. Just that Brandon’s case is STILL unsolved and Lauren’s case seems to be going the same way. And that’s very very frustrating!
Whether they were on drugs and/or mentally unstable they are vanished without a trace and I find it so sad.
FWIW I don’t think this was a “hoax.” What would be to gain? Is her family out there fundraising or anything? I have no idea.
I don't even think her family has a Go Fund Me or anything. There have been several prayer vigils.

@happyday hiyyyaa!! Yes that’s what I was insinuating—that is, the theory that she was high on meth and thought she was being chased which is what people theorize happened with Brandon. IMO the friends interviews about her having called 911 before and allegedly disappearing did not help in the sense that I think it lessened public interest as people assume she was high on drugs and ran off. IMO it doesn’t matter if she was using or not, she needs to be found.

@Jethro4WS thats interesting about the CPS case. I do not practice family law so I’d have to research/think about what could be going on given that I presume the father(s?) of her kids are alive.

People that know her said she was a very devoted mother, and it is unlikely that she would go this long without calling them.

There was a similiar case in Shelby County that involved a man who was also terrified running from someone. His truck was found, and in the woods, his tennis shoes were found with his wedding ring inside them. Law enforcement searched and his family searched for a long time afterwards. No more clues, and he is still missing and unaccounted for thirteen years later.

TX - TX - Cole Jackson, 33, Timpson, 13 July 2006
Sweet Lord it almost makes me think back to some horrid movies (TX Chainsaw, for one)! I would hope that the search never ends!

So Lauren has a current husband who is in jail/mental lockup, an ex boyfriend who appears to have moved on to a new girlfriend and an ex-husband?
Who was she afraid of?
It hasn't been stated if Lauren mentioned in the 911 call who she thought was following her/trying to get her. I think if she had named a specific person we might have learned of that person either via the media or on social media platforms.

Doubt it. They would have not filed against Lauren, who did have custody of the children, if that were the case. Also they would have named either or both of the fathers as parties to the case and that isn't what happened either.

All signs point to something significant going on in her life at or close to the time of her disappearance.

The case did mention the three fathers of the children in the case. All of the children have the last name of Thompson, but two of the children are not her current husband's children. In their divorce, her youngest child is the child that is mentioned in the divorce. I don't understand that but the CPS case looks like it seeks to terminate, not just grant temporary custody. At least 2 of the fathers live in the Houston area, so it is very likely they could be absent in the life of their children.

If someone picked her up seeing she was hysterical and thought she was experiencing a psychotic break and took her to a mental hospital (Carthage does not have one), would they notify next of kin or would she be allowed to contact her family. Tomorrow is 1 month since she went missing.

So the court hearing for Lauren to terminate her ex's parental rights to the 3 children was just days after she went missing?
She didn't file the termination suit Texas DFPS filed against her and the three fathers.

As I mentioned previously in the thread her current husband - the divorce she filed never completed - has been in jail and deemed mentally incompetent and sent to a secure Mental Health Facility going back since July of last year. Most recently he was returned to the jail from the Mental Health Facility. So, he hasn't been out of custody during any of the disappearance of Lauren.

She had no children with the latest boyfriend correct?
No. She was living with that boyfriend a few months prior to filing divorce and it appears they broke up perhaps in July of last year, maybe a little later and he has a new girlfriend.

At this point I would say if there is any foul play connected to her disappearance then the focus should be on whatever group of friends she had been around and especially if they are new friends. Neither law enforcement nor her family are providing information that is helpful.

Doubt it. They would have not filed against Lauren, who did have custody of the children, if that were the case. Also they would have named either or both of the fathers as parties to the case and that isn't what happened either.

All signs point to something significant going on in her life at or close to the time of her disappearance.

Lauren went missing January 10th, the petition for Conservatorship & Removal was filed January 15th. Guardian ad litem's (CASA & Attorney) were appointed January 16th. I agree Jethro4WS, legal filings don't happen that quickly if there isn't a demonstrated history. My guess is CPS has had interaction with Lauren and her children previously.

That aside, I agree with you all we still need to know where she is!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back