TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site has some lists of CNA numbers from the mid-late 80s. By 1988, the CNA number for the 303 area code no longer matched the number on the note page. (Do a find on the page for "CNA".)

http://textfiles.com/phreak/

This site has some lists of CNA numbers from the mid-late 80s. By 1988, the CNA number for the 303 area code no longer matched the number on the note page. (Do a find on the page for "CNA".)

http://textfiles.com/phreak/

Thanks for that. I have to say before this case I had never heard the term CNA with regards to the telephone company. I always assumed they had that ability and never thought much of it. So apparently private companies could access that info and I guess sell the info. So even before the time before the internet, we were not as private as we thought. I am just wondering what companies would use this, and who other than telephone companies would use the term CNA? I have seen post where people seem to be familiar with how it worked. That scrap of paper has two major themes. Lawyers and phone companies. I would like more info on her handwriting, but assuming she wrote it, could this be similar to calls a Private Investigator might have made back then before they could do skip trace, etc from their computers? I think Lori was troubled but she was no dummy. I have a feeling she could talk a smooth game when she needed to. If she wrote this before she changed her name, something on it has to be important to her previous identity. If after, then it probably will lead nowhere.

I know everyone contacted did not know her. As I said earlier, how do we know these were her notes? Did anyone ask the husband if this was the way she wrote? If she was working on that "shoot" perhaps she was some low level functionary, maybe running photos to an ad agency, etc. I wonder if anyone ever asked that Visages did they ever do a shoot for a client with the use of "these eyes"? Googling visages it appears they are quite active in entertainment and back then print media was still the most popular. So much time has past maybe it would do no good. If they did recall "these eyes" maybe they could name all the other companies that might have contributed. I am thinking she might have been a runner, or an intern at this point. Of course we do not know if she was in LA when she wrote it or if she wrote "these eyes". We just know she kept this paper for some reason.

Several years ago, someone here tracked down These Eyes as the previous name of Visages.

Maybe this has been brought up, but has it actually been proven she wrote those notes? I assume her husband would know her writing, but he never struck me as going to win a nobel prize in physics anytime soon. Both the listing of years and this scrap of scribbles kind of looks like a masculine handwriting. well kind of like the mess I would write. The only exception was the "these eyes" which seems more feminine. I know that is not a hard fast rule. I tried to look for an example of her writing and there is that one application for passport, and can we assume that is her writing? I know this is a form you must submit, but I see very little similarity. Her signatures seem a little primitive though. Almost like you write when you first learn cursive. So perhaps she scribbles like a doctor.

Her handwriting is actually what makes me think she did not grow up in the public school system. It's very simple and more like a child's writing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting, I always thought the shot of her in the pink hat was one of the most recent ones (because I assumed the infant in her arms is her daughter). But her teeth in this picture look worse than in any of the other pictures. That seems odd right? Anyone know if there is a more recent picture of FLEK than this one in the pink hat? It almost looks like her teeth in this photo are stained like what you'd expect from a very heaver smoker, drug user or someone who is bulimic and I don't believe that any of these things apply to her?

aa5d8c189e1eba39f11a66cb88aef0c5.jpg
833c1783e9e69d05f14769fc2c408794.jpg

Here they are side-by-side. Now that I look at them next to each other, and taking into account the neighbor's reference to her being the smallest he had seen her, I feel like this could have been maybe six months after the birth of her child. Her daughter was born in 2008 (I believe, off the top of my head). So, perhaps this was in late 2008/early 2009. Quick and dirty math...she would have been claiming to be 39, but was probably more around her early to mid-thirties.

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021243552_janedoexml.html - Reference to neighbor.

Of course, MOO...

Her handwriting is actually what makes me think she did not grow up in the public school system. It's very simple and more like a child's writing.

Yeah I agree. She seems to not be connected to anyone. If she had gone to an American public school, you think someone would have called by now. We know the signatures on the Idaho ID and DL's must be her's and they are all fairly simple. I wonder if she had left that life behind, why she kept that box of Kryptonite? If I were her husband, any box I was told not to look in, well it would be the first thing I would look in. That explanation is very odd to me. I find his entire lack of curiosity a bit perplexing. Do you think if a major network did a 48 hrs or Dateline this would be solved that night? Seems so strange that nobody has seen this story that knows her.

Her handwriting is similar to BSTs mother's writing. Some examples are on some marriage documents on Ancestry. Which reminds me, the oldest daughter that died in the fire may not be TTs. I'm not sure how much I can put on here publicly but there are multiple marriage documents on ancestry.

I am using a 1987 phone book. I googled visage photo agency and there is an article about its founder. It never mentions that. https://books.google.com/books?id=N...NzAF#v=onepage&q=visages photo agency&f=false

I will keep looking though.

Nice find! I haven't reviewed what's been posted in previous threads but did look up the Visages web site at archive.org. The Nov, 2000 version has company info and history including that Maslansky bought the building at 7750 Sunset in early 1994, and that at that time Visages was an agency representing photographers, stylists, make-up artists and others, and had these multiple competitors working together under one roof. http://web.archive.org/web/20001110084000/http://www.visages.com/

Perhaps it wasn't that Visages had been These Eyes but that These Eyes was represented by Visages, was housed in the building, and used Visages' main phone number. There's a drop-down menu of artists who may provide further clues. I don't have time today to look further.

Nice find! I haven't reviewed what's been posted in previous threads but did look up the Visages web site at archive.org. The Nov, 2000 version has company info and history including that Maslansky bought the building at 7750 Sunset in early 1994, and that at that time Visages was an agency representing photographers, stylists, make-up artists and others, and had these multiple competitors working together under one roof. http://web.archive.org/web/20001110084000/http://www.visages.com/

Perhaps it wasn't that Visages had been These Eyes but that These Eyes was represented by Visages, was housed in the building, and used Visages' main phone number. There's a drop-down menu of artists who may provide further clues. I don't have time today to look further.

A curiosity is, the Guess Who did a remastered release of some of their work in 1987. I am not sure how that works. I did not see "these eyes" in the list of songs...but i did see they toured in LA. I wonder if there was any ad work done for Billboard or Variety that required photos. Of course for all we know "these eyes" was a local salon, eyewear store or cosmetic company. If Lori did write that note, it does not show time. So maybe she was a gopher and was suppose to pick something up or drop something off. Or maybe it was just a job lead, or maybe even extra work.

There was also a nationwide "these eyes" ad campaign for radial kerotatmy (spelling is wrong..sorry!). Around 1985/86ish. Headquarters was in southern California. All you can see in the ad is a lady's eyes.

Mallon oil was not using the number on the note page as of November 1985. Still working on narrowing down exactly when they started using it. But as of now, it's between Nov 1985 and Jan 1987.

Edited: Was not using the number as of August 26, 1986. (The number they had at that time was 303-572-1511)

attachment.php
I decided to take a closer look at the handwriting of the scribble page and the only other handwriting sample we have of FLEK's--the handwriting on her passport application.

First, compare the two words Dallas: The D's are different and though both samples use capital A's in the middle of words, the capital A's are different as well. One is more rounded at the top and one more pointed.
Second, compare capital M's--very different. One has rounded peaks like a lower case M and center line of the m reaches the bottom of the letter. The note writer's M's are pointy at the peaks with high center swoop line.
third, compare B's. There is only one B on the application but it appears to be written like a 3 with a line in front of it--two sections disconected. The B's on the note page are written more in one fluid motion and all connected.
Fourth, compare lower case y's. On the application the y's have a rounded hook. On the note they are angular.

Finally, compare the "These Eyes" to everything else. I flipped it 90 degrees to make it easier to compare. It has been noted before in these threads that the "These Eyes" has those curly capital E's in the middle of the word and FLEK used those capital E's in her writing. The rest of the note does not have those capital E's. The y in "These Eyes" is also a hook style like used in the application, not like the rest of the note.

The main thing these writings have in common, IMO, is using a mixture of capital and lower case letters for the middle of the words.

After this analysis, I'm prepared to theorize that the majority of this note was NOT written by FLEK--it may have been written by someone close to her (parent, sibling, etc.), however, who had a similar style of mixing capital and lower case letters.

Attachments

• handwriting comparison.jpg
    handwriting comparison.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 193
attachment.php
I also compared FLEK's signatures. There is a slight variation in how she makes her L's and K's but that could be attributed to her getting comfortable signing her fake name rather than printing it--She would not need to sign it very often unless she had a checking account and wrote checks. I have been thinking her real name could have been Lori (or some variation like Laurie) but this apparent progression in how she made capital L's would argue against that theory. It seems to me she became more comfortable writing Lori by the time she was married. All MOO.

Attachments

• FLEK signatures.jpg
    FLEK signatures.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 152
attachment.php
I decided to take a closer look at the handwriting of the scribble page and the only other handwriting sample we have of FLEK's--the handwriting on her passport application.

First, compare the two words Dallas: The D's are different and though both samples use capital A's in the middle of words, the capital A's are different as well. One is more rounded at the top and one more pointed.
Second, compare capital M's--very different. One has rounded peaks like a lower case M and center line of the m reaches the bottom of the letter. The note writer's M's are pointy at the peaks with high center swoop line.
third, compare B's. There is only one B on the application but it appears to be written like a 3 with a line in front of it--two sections disconected. The B's on the note page are written more in one fluid motion and all connected.
Fourth, compare lower case y's. On the application the y's have a rounded hook. On the note they are angular.

Finally, compare the "These Eyes" to everything else. I flipped it 90 degrees to make it easier to compare. It has been noted before in these threads that the "These Eyes" has those curly capital E's in the middle of the word and FLEK used those capital E's in her writing. The rest of the note does not have those capital E's. The y in "These Eyes" is also a hook style like used in the application, not like the rest of the note.

The main thing these writings have in common, IMO, is using a mixture of capital and lower case letters for the middle of the words.

After this analysis, I'm prepared to theorize that the majority of this note was NOT written by FLEK--it may have been written by someone close to her (parent, sibling, etc.), however, who had a similar style of mixing capital and lower case letters.

Good work! I can see that. Interesting. Could be a roommate or maybe an ex. Wonder if its just a love momento.

attachment.php
I also compared FLEK's signatures. There is a slight variation in how she makes her L's and K's but that could be attributed to her getting comfortable signing her fake name rather than printing it--She would not need to sign it very often unless she had a checking account and wrote checks. I have been thinking her real name could have been Lori (or some variation like Laurie) but this apparent progression in how she made capital L's would argue against that theory. It seems to me she became more comfortable writing Lori by the time she was married. All MOO.

I suspect her name is lori or laurie or another variation. She chose that name. She could not choose the name of the infant but she chose Lori for a reason. I suspect it was because if someone from her past ran into her, she could not explain away why her name is becky now. She could always explain a last name change. It's even possible Kennedy is a real name, but doubt that.

aa5d8c189e1eba39f11a66cb88aef0c5.jpg
833c1783e9e69d05f14769fc2c408794.jpg

Here they are side-by-side. Now that I look at them next to each other, and taking into account the neighbor's reference to her being the smallest he had seen her, I feel like this could have been maybe six months after the birth of her child. Her daughter was born in 2008 (I believe, off the top of my head). So, perhaps this was in late 2008/early 2009. Quick and dirty math...she would have been claiming to be 39, but was probably more around her early to mid-thirties.

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021243552_janedoexml.html - Reference to neighbor.

Of course, MOO...

Did you mean mid to early 40's? I agree that this picture looks like after she had her daughter. I have read that the face changes during pregnancy and after giving birth. Also I have experienced something my dentist says is quite common with age--my teeth have spread. I don't know if this is caused by pregnancy and leaching of vitamins/calcium from the teeth as well, but could account for the difference. The tea picture also seems to me to be taken at a slightly different angle--it's almost like the person taking it was kneeling down so we are looking up her nose and see her open mouth/teeth from the bottom as well--possibly the camera person was focusing on getting the child in the picture more than getting a flattering shot of Lori.

In 1984, the medical examiner for Pierce County, WA (where the 1971 fire occurred) was Emmanuel Lacina. It has also been spelled Lacsina.

Hello! I'm new to this Forum and haven't had time to look through all the information yet. My suggestion is maybe if this woman managed to change her identity in such a "professional" way, then she could have thought of disappering "professionally" as well. I mean, without attracting much attention. If she had relatives or other close connections who, she knew, would search for her, she might have staged her death. So it may be useful to have a closer look not at missing persons (just go missing is certainly not a wise way to disappear) but at death records from those days and places that could be linked to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks