TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said he met someone Kimberly said was her mother.

His exact words.

Yes, I do have photos of her.

Yes, I met her Mother. Her Mother's health was declining, and that is why LEK was down visiting. I remember her Mother had only been in TX a few years before 1988. I would assume that her Mother is no longer living. I drove by the house her Mother lived in earlier this week. It is no longer there.

Those are his words but he at that time assumed it to be her mother. He had no reason to doubt what had been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't there, so I don't know. Welcome to WS! :)

Oh~~maybe parents or grandparents left her some money???
See my edit - doesn't look like it was much, unless it's one of those "Amount to be determined at the time of the claim" things that just doesn't show up on the screen.

i am still confused about one thing. velling had an inkling as to who FLEK/kimberly was, and then received a call from someone saying the same thing so they jumped on it DNA-wise, correct? HOW did Velling and Fitz get to the point of identifying this non-missing person and that it might be a match for FLEK? am i missing the huge connection here? i know it says fitz had put together a family tree but.... from what? i am lost... :X

ETA nevermind, i see the full article now, i had only read a summary someone had posted elsewhere, thinking it was the full thing. ignore me. :shame:

Those are his words but he at that time assumed it to be her mother. He had no reason to doubt what had been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is also possible that everything he said was true as he was remembering it. Maybe he dated a girl 30 years ago that reminds him of Kimberly and really believed it was her. I ran into a guy last year that I dated in college and couldn't place. I knew I knew him but didn't know how. 30 years is a long time and it could have been a different girl completely.

That being said I feel that usually the truth comes out when the dust settles. I'm always skeptical. There are so many times I've seen people claim to have inside information and then disappear or get "offended" when they are questioned. One of the wonderful things about Websleuths is that there is a verification process to show who is truly an insider. It doesn't really matter at this point but as more details come out I think more of what is and isn't true will clear up.

PS - 116 viewers right now, 73 are guests. i lurked here for YEARS before making an account and i am so so so so SO glad i did. guests i encourage you to please join and comment here. i have been a member now for a while before ever commenting but i am glad to be able to discuss now. please, join us. :D

This is AMAZING! It took me all day to catch up the thread has been moving so fast.

This news is a LOT to obsorb, and now I have so many new questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

i am still confused about one thing. velling had an inkling as to who FLEK/kimberly was, and then received a call from someone saying the same thing so they jumped on it DNA-wise, correct? HOW did Velling and Fitz get to the point of identifying this non-missing person and that it might be a match for FLEK? am i missing the huge connection here? i know it says fitz had put together a family tree but.... from what? i am lost... :X

ETA nevermind, i see the full article now, i had only read a summary someone had posted elsewhere, thinking it was the full thing. ignore me. :shame:

The DNA expert read the 2013 story and contacted the Ruff family offering her help. They provided the childs DNA to a couple of Ancestry DNA sites. The expert was able to locate a 3rd cousin and contacted Velling to let him know what she found. Eventually they were able to use the third cousin to locate other relatives. Velling approached other relatives and they recognized the photo of FLEK as Kimberly. Its a great article in the Seattle Times. You should read it. It is clearer than I am.

Maybe since she is identified someone will speak out and shed some light on the 2 missing years.

The notation on 3 of the entries indicates they fall under the Uniform Gifts to Minors Act - UGMA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Gifts_to_Minors_Act

They all say under $100 for the amount. There's another for a Kimberly McLean in Wynnewood that's over $100.
US Savings Bonds. I'm betting. Common for parents and grandparents to purchase them during the 40s-70s as gifts for Christmas, etc. They're purchased for pennies on the dollar, and then mature to the face amount after several years.

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise specified. *

Hi Owutatangledweb!!! :seeya:
The article said, Veilling met with another family member~~not necessarily the mom.

Thanks for clarifying BCA! Same concern though. You'd think they would recognize the younger pics not the older ones. Any brain scientists here? I'm really curious about this, scientifically speaking.

Regarding the unclaimed funds...

These were shares of a mutual fund. (I'm a financial advisor in my real life and I still actually sell this fund. It's an oldie, but a goodie.)

They were held in a UGMA account, which means that when taken out the funds would have to go for the benefit of Kimberly. Given that she probably wasn't around to collect, the funds would have went to escheatment after not being accessed for a certain amount of time.

Note: I found another unclaimed account with DB as the guardian under another name. The initials are MM. I'm trying to be vague...but it's potentially interesting.

Thank you for explaining! MM is the sibling AFAIK.

Regarding the unclaimed funds...

These were shares of a mutual fund. (I'm a financial advisor in my real life and I still actually sell this fund. It's an oldie, but a goodie.)

They were held in a UGMA account, which means that when taken out the funds would have to go for the benefit of Kimberly. Given that she probably wasn't around to collect, the funds would have went to escheatment after not being accessed for a certain amount of time.

Note: I found another unclaimed account with DB as the guardian under another name. The initials are MM. I'm trying to be vague...but it's potentially interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong