TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some more searching on Ancestry and found out Monica had a 2 year old son when she went missing. It appears her son has made an Ancestry account and has her missing date down as her death date with a note about her disappearance. Picture on ancestry is the same as her missing photo above. Monica's husband (or boyfriend?) was killed in a drive-by shooting in Los Angeles in 1990. Could just be wrong place at wrong time but it seems, IMO, the family had reason to believe she was murdered in 1987. That would explain why no one has actively searched for her online. It appears Monica has 5 grandchildren. How sad she is not there to see them grow up. :( I'm going to cross her off my short list of FLEK candidates.

This is my first time posting on Websleuths, though I've been reading through the threads on the FLEK case for a long time now. Just never had anything meaningful to contribute! Bear with me on this one, it's a longshot but something to consider.

I came across the case of Deanna Criswell, a 16 year old girl who was found dead in Marana, AZ in 1987. There is a Websleuths forum for Criswell. The Wikipedia article for Deanna Criswell is a helpful summary of the case, too.

The suspected killer is William Ross Knight, who was 31 at the time. Both DC and WRK are from Spokane, WA – I think. The only William Ross Knight I found record of in Spokane was born in 1956, and I am merely operating under the assumption that this is him. WRK relocated to AZ at some point, while in a "relationship" with DC. He purchased a bus ticket for her to come down to AZ to live with him, but she was never heard from again. WRK was never charged for the murder, and apparently died in 2005.

I found the blurb above from 1988 or 1987 from this archived Arizona Republic issue.

Obviously this is a huge leap to connect this to FLEK. But I had been wondering if FLEK was an accessory to a crime, which was why she changed her identity and her appearance so drastically. I did kind of a lazy search about unsolved murders from 87/88 and that's how I came across DC. In reading a little bit about the case, any involvement on the part of FLEK seems unlikely as far as the murder goes, so I also wonder if this is the man she was escaping from. Her obit merely said that she was "from Scottsdale, AZ" (not Tucson, but AZ nevertheless.) If she had any connection to the crime, as an accomplice maybe, maybe WRK set her up with the identity change. She may have been a witness or privy to the crime, but was too scared of retaliation so she took "witness protection" into her own hands? Many possibilities.

Maybe there are so little connections here that to even bring it up is too out-there, but it piqued my curiosity about FLEK's possible criminal history. Obviously some similarities in location and timeline are here, but that's about it. If this seems like an avenue worth pursuing, maybe somebody with more records access than I have (I'm not a member of any of the big Ancestry sites, etc.) could take a look.

According to this Deanna has been identified in 2015.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/753ufaz.html
UPDATE: The victim was identified as 16-year-old Deanna Lee Criswell in February 2015. :( RIP Ms. Deanna. :rose:

BTW, Monica's sister--the one mentioned in the above post with a name starting with L-- Her married name is Kennedy. I don't know if it was Kennedy before Monica went missing though. I have yet to find marriage records. I got distracted and never finished looking up Monica's case.
Interesting! On FB, it appears that the L sister now goes by a last name that begins with B. No reference to Kennedy, or any Kennedys in her friend list. It appears that she is no longer married to the person with a B last name.

Thanks for the welcome! Happy to be here. I agree that the scenario is very unlikely and there is no immediate connection, but I do still wonder if FLEK was witness to a terrible crime, or found herself at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person and feared so greatly for her life that she changed her identity. It's such a wild mystery in general.

Sorry I neglected to say :welcome6::welcome6: but that's what we have all kind of figured either
a. witness who fears for her life
b. abused wife
c. abuse by a cult or Church type group
d. crazy like me :) (it would be funny if I wasn't serious)
e. criminal who has done something and needs to hide (but one that le is probably not looking for )

so far that's about all we have come up with , personally I like the combo of a and d. Any hoo :welcome4:

Sorry I neglected to say :welcome6::welcome6: but that's what we have all kind of figured either
a. witness who fears for her life
b. abused wife
c. abuse by a cult or Church type group
d. crazy like me :) (it would be funny if I wasn't serious)
e. criminal who has done something and needs to hide (but one that le is probably not looking for )

so far that's about all we have come up with , personally I like the combo of a and d. Any hoo :welcome4:

Your use of "crazy" in d. covers a lot of ground, ranging from serious psychiatric issues (e.g. schizophrenia or sociopathy) to simple lack of social skills. And those would suggest entirely different scenarios -- if LEK had serious psychiatric issues her life pre-1988 might be entirely unrecoverable, whereas if she simply didn't know how to interact successfully with other people her backstory might be knowable. As I suggested elsewhere, she might have carried out a threat to "vanish" just to see if anyone in her life noticed she was gone, only to find no one had.

Otherwise, you've provided a complete list of all of the reasonable theories why LEK changed her identity.

So I thought this was just weird. I don't think it is FLEK, but this is the first person who I have seen with the same odd face shape. How weird.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/dunn_pamela.html

87b663846e223c3ef399e59f31a66632.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive Decided to go ahead and submit Mona Lisa Lincoln , they both have fingerprints on file ... lets cross our fingers . From what i've learned Mona got into drugs and wrong crowd (gangs)... she may have gotten a good scare and she did have a while to get clean from june or november 1987 to june 1988 . I'm not saying its her but , hey, it's better to know for sure and proof narrows down the list...

I've been re-examining missing persons who fit FLEK's description and timeline. One I found interesting is Deborah Ann Hohenshilt. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hohenshilt_deborah.html

She was discussed but quickly put aside because the circumstances of her disappearance pointed to fowl play. By all accounts she was a hard-working young woman--she had her real estate license and was working in a clothing store to pay her bills. She had her own apartment. It was her boss who first reported her missing when she didn't show up for work the next day (some articles say 2-3 days later). There is no indication she was involved in anything like drugs or gangs, just the scene at her apartment (blood, teeth and missing sheets), her cats being left and her car being parked a block away which seemed to point to her being murdered/kidnapped. Despite all this I still thought she had enough physical resemblance to FLEK to look into her history a bit. I found it odd that they never named any suspects--her boyfriend was cleared. She also had an ex-husband but he is not mentioned in any stories about her.

Some background on her family:
Deborah's mother died from cancer in 1962 (when Deborah was 3 months old).
Deborah's father died in 1986 from a heart attack. Her father had remarried and had a daughter and 3 sons with his second wife.
In 1986 Deborah's half sister was living in Bryan, Texas.
Even though she was missing from Florida, her family grew up in Lawrenceville, NJ (which is less than an hour drive from the Strafford, PA library FLEK had written on her notes page).
Her father (and his entire family) was born and raised in Philadelphia (even closer to the library).
Her mother died in Cheltenham Township, PA about a 30 minute drive to the library.
Deborah's paternal grandfather died from a heart attack in a Las Vegas, NV hotel in 1962. He had been living in Ventura, CA.
Deborah's father filled out her mother's death record and he happened to make his E's curly just like FLEK's E's. His M's, W's and A's were also similar in style.
Deborah's grandmother put up a $10,000 reward for her return. Grandmother told the press she was devastated because she and her 87 year old husband were counting on Deborah to take care of them in their old age. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1988-02-24/news/0020140115_1_daytona-beach-omeara-kerney
Deborah married in Ohio at the age of 17. I couldn't find what happened to her husband but he remarried in Ohio and appeared to stay there.

Thoughts?

attachment.php
Deborah Ann Hohenshilt

Attachments

• DAH comparison.png
    DAH comparison.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 284
Ive Decided to go ahead and submit Mona Lisa Lincoln , they both have fingerprints on file ... lets cross our fingers . From what i've learned Mona got into drugs and wrong crowd (gangs)... she may have gotten a good scare and she did have a while to get clean from june or november 1987 to june 1988 . I'm not saying its her but , hey, it's better to know for sure and proof narrows down the list...

For what it's worth, I did look up the process of tattoo removal and found sources said the knuckles heal better than skin on the back or chest and scarring on hand tattoos removed is very minimal/hardly noticeable. There are tons of before and after pictures online too that show the healed knuckles do not look scarred. So there's plausibility if she found a way to remove her tattoos soon after she went missing. IMO, it was a drugs/gang-related hit but she could have run to avoid that scenario. I agree with you that she looks enough like FLEK it's worth submitting to get a firm answer one way or another.

For what it's worth, I did look up the process of tattoo removal and found sources said the knuckles heal better than skin on the back or chest and scarring on hand tattoos removed is very minimal/hardly noticeable. There are tons of before and after pictures online too that show the healed knuckles do not look scarred. So there's plausibility if she found a way to remove her tattoos soon after she went missing. IMO, it was a drugs/gang-related hit but she could have run to avoid that scenario. I agree with you that she looks enough like FLEK it's worth submitting to get a firm answer one way or another.

Also on that note , my friend Glenda and her hubby DR. mike have a tattoo removal place on mockingbird and they have been around for quite a while , that's where the po box was, also Mona's eyes seem almost exact the left ones have a different shape than the right ..so does FLEK

Also on that note , my friend Glenda and her hubby DR. mike have a tattoo removal place on mockingbird and they have been around for quite a while , that's where the po box was, also Mona's eyes seem almost exact the left ones have a different shape than the right ..so does FLEK

Wow, really!?! So she could have had her tattoos removed and set up the PO Box around the same time. Would you ask your friend and her hubby if they remember anyone like FLEK? Even if not Monica, there are others that I have ignored because of tattoos. Also, there is not a lot of info about tattoo removal in the 1980's or early 90's verses today online. Can you ask your friend for us if the process has changed at all and what it cost back then?

There is a picture of FLEK's fingerprints in the media thread. IIRC, they were run against CODIS and provided no hits. I don't know if they checked other fingerprint databases. I'm just now wondering though how LE got her fingerprints in the first place? Do undertakers routinely fingerprint a deceased when no criminal investigation is going on? We were told it was a clear case of suicide and she was cremated before they realized she was not really LEK. So why did they take fingerprints? Was it hard to ID her because of the gunshot to the head?

Pretty sure they knew it was her, but it's a question that occurred to me as well. My guess is, due to the nature of her death (gunshot) and the fact that she and her husband were estranged, it may have been standard operating procedure, to make sure the prints on the gun matched hers.

So I thought this was just weird. I don't think it is FLEK, but this is the first person who I have seen with the same odd face shape. How weird.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/dunn_pamela.html

87b663846e223c3ef399e59f31a66632.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure not Ms. Dunn as she had a hysterectomy... but the two women do favor in looks. I wonder if any other women in Md. Dunn's family have gone missing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Ok...what do you all think??
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture-TC2.PNG
    Capture-TC2.PNG
    653.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Capture-TC.PNG
    Capture-TC.PNG