BILL COSBY SENTENCED 3 TO 10 YEARS FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT
JOIN THE WEBSLEUTHS DISCUSSION

TX - Man wrongly put away for 18 years denied compensation after legal glitch

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by IWannaKnow, Feb 17, 2011.

1. IWannaKnow

IWannaKnow New Member

How badly can you treat one person? Texas seems to have surpassed all with this, this is pathetic:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...ecades-denied-compensation-after-legal-glitch

Texas man wrongly put away for 18 years denied compensation after legal glitch
    By Liz Goodwin
    Wed Feb 16, 5:00 pm ET

much more at link~

2. LaLaw2000

LaLaw2000 Louisiana

I am happy for an innocent man to be free. He did lose these years of his life and I feel he should be compensated for it, but even compensation cannot give those years back to him. It can, however, help him to get started in 'free' life again.

In my opinion, something should be done to fix this error.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Former Member

IMO, something should be done to fix that tort law also. He should go ahead and file suit in Federal court, hoping they will settle for more than the $200,000. Perhaps it won't be the $1.4 million, but much better than the $200,000?

4. LolaMoon08

LolaMoon08 Well-Known Member

This is just wrong. Yes, he will never get back those years of his life, but the man deserves compensation. He has to rebuild a life outside of those prison walls. He is going to need some serious counseling to reintroduce himself into society. The poor man probably has some social issues being in solitary confinement (Death Row) for so long. I can only imagine the pent up anger he has inside... which is 100% understandable for someone whose life was literally taken from them. He was treated like an animal. Locked in a cage. I just can not imagine.

1.4 million dollars isn't even enough for 18 years. In situations like this, I think about if this was someone in my family and they were forced to live this nightmare. Poor man!

5. not_my_kids

not_my_kids New Member

This man woke up in a nightmare every day for 18 years. 18 years. No ability to work, no ability to better himself in any way, no family, no real friends, no anything. It's not like he was a trust fund baby that could walk out of prison and still be provided for.

Now, the nightmare is over, he is a free man...free to stand in line at the food bank, free to attempt futilely to find some way to obtain the therapy and training he will need to reenter society, free to attempt to find a job while trying to explain that huge gap in his work history. God, if I were him, I'd probably just try to go back to jail, seems that there is more justice in the walls than out of them. This poor guy. How much bad luck can one man have?

6. fran

fran Former Member

I hope he finds a lawyer who spots a 'loop hole' in the Texas statute and takes them for more than the $1.4M.

I don't know how these people sleep at night, knowing they ruined this man's life and now they're doing it again.

Disgraceful,
    JMHO
    fran
    :mad:

7. drip~drop

drip~drop kiss a fuzzie

This totally s*ck$!:maddening:
    18 lost years,isolated....all for nothing. Poor guy!
    1.4 million just doesn't seem like enough. And I suppose he'd have to pay taxes on that money too?:banghead:

8. alsmom

alsmom mostly lurking

I wish I could say that was unbelievable, but I seem to recall another guy that didn't get his because he had a felony drug charge when he was very young. I don't give a crap. If you are wrongfully put in prison, you should be compensated accordingly. I can't imagine the mental torture a person would have knowing they were part of the "only 1%" wrongfully put in prison. I'm not sure what the actual percentage is, but it's often spoken of as though it's a throwaway number. It's 100% if it happens to you or a family member. So wrong :maddening:

9. legalmaniac

legalmaniac New Member

Even if he could only be awarded $200,000 in civil court, he needs to sue the DA who refuses to help with the proper documentation

10. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

11. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

Anthony Graves is an amazing man! What a kind and generous way of thanking Ms. Casarez! What a class act he is.......even after all he's been through!

Thank you Killarney for updating this thread!

12. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

I just saw an episode on Bio about the case. He came across as innocent all along on it. And for Kelly Seigler to be so convinced of his innocence from the start speaks volumes to me.

13. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

ITA.....Luv Kelly Seigler!