GUILTY TX - Marjorie Nugent, 81, slain, found in freezer, Carthage, 19 Nov 1996

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by SurfieTX, May 7, 2014.

1. SurfieTX

SurfieTX New Member

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/bernie-tiede-freed-will-live-with-austin-filmmaker/nfqdh/

2. Loading...

3. SurfieTX

SurfieTX New Member

https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movi...e-freed-on-one-weird-condition-201532439.html

4. ScarlettScarpetta

ScarlettScarpetta When the going gets tough, drink coffee

This just seems wrong to me. He murdered someone and I don't care about him being an abused child. If he got life he should serve life.

5. LietKynes

LietKynes Well-Known Member

RSBM

Agreed. If he (Bernie) was in an abusive relationship, why didn't he walk away from it ?
    ---Probably $$.
    Abuse from childhood is no excuse, or there would be many people out murdering others, and getting away with it !!! Ridiculous.

Possibly the movie didn't help Tiede stay put behind bars ... the film did not paint (imo) the true picture of Tiede. I mean, he put her body in a freezer and covered it with frozen food, for gosh sakes. Nauseating.
    :moo:

6. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I felt the movie was very honest. It showed that he shot her four times in the back. It showed that he shoved her in the freezer and covered her with food. It showed how he enjoyed and spent her money after the murder.

But it also gave enough information to question whether this was murder or capital murder. In Texas, the sentence for capital murder is lwop or the death penalty. For murder, it's 5 to 99 years.

I guess the most recent judge found extenuating circumstances and a lack of premeditation justifying a lesser sentence of 18 years.

7. Snoopster

Snoopster Well-Known Member

I truly don't know how to feel about this case. I just watched the movie "Bernie" tonight and, naturally, I felt sympathetic toward Bernie, as the director wanted. However, we all know that everything is in how it is framed. What if Bernie was a gold digger and pursued elderly, lonely widows in the hopes of gaining wealth? Somehow I feel that this is more likely. Of course I will never know.

Con men are charming.

(BTW, I totally enjoyed the movie. When I saw it starred Jack Black and Shirley MacLaine I was skeptical, but they did a wonderful job.)

8. roadrunnermt

roadrunnermt Member

Was watching the local news and listening to the updates to this retrial so I decided to check out the thread on it here at Websleuths. However, to my surprise I see very little info here! For those who do not know, this crazy story was turned into a based on a true story movie called "Bernie" in 2011 with Matthew McConaughey as a lead actor as McConaughey was from a city in the vicinity to where this happened at. Bernie Tiede (who killed Ms. Nugent) somehow got his sentence overturned and now they are going through a retrial yet again happening as we speak. Lots more news stories out there, etc, but not sure there is any interest so I won't go crazy with all that unless some want to see the updates. I am in the local area to this and the ongoing trial.

9. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews....-of-infamous-east-texas-murderer-bernie.html/

10. Any123

Any123 Member

How can he be tried for murder twice?

11. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

This is just re-sentencing. His conviction still stands.

12. Any123

Any123 Member

13. Any123

Any123 Member