TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, prized cyclist, fatally shot before race, Austin, May 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownRice

Reaction score
Texas police are hunting for a 34-year-old yoga teacher accused of shooting dead the leading U.S. gravel cyclist, dubbed the 'winningest woman in America', because she'd had a brief relationship with her boyfriend.

Kaitlin Armstrong has not been seen since May 13 - two days after the murder of Moriah Wilson, 25 who was found covered in blood at a friend's home in East Austin on May 11.

An arrest warrant has been issued for Armstrong, a yoga teacher, who remains on the run and has deleted all her social media accounts.

Armstrong's boyfriend Colin Strickland, also a professional cyclist, had a brief romantic relationship with Wilson in October when he and his girlfriend of three years were on a break.

He and Armstrong got back together shortly after his fling with Wilson but his girlfriend only found out about the one-week dalliance in January. “

Yoga teacher, 34, 'murders world class cyclist, 25, in jealous rage'

Link to timeline created by Websleuths member cujenn81:
Kaitlin Armstrong Trial
Kaitlin Armstrong Trial [ABRIDGED]

Last edited by a moderator:

RSBM and BBM

The U.S. Marshal's Lone Star Fugitive Task Force is searching for Kaitlin Armstrong, wanted for the murder of cyclist Moriah Wilson.
She is facing a count of first-degree murder.
An anonymous caller told police when Armstrong found out [about an affair between her boyfriend and the victim], she said she wanted to kill Wilson. Armstrong also told the caller she'd gotten a gun.
Authorities are looking for a 2012 Black Jeep Cherokee with Texas license plate LDZ5608.

RSBM and BBM

Strickland reported to police that he and Wilson had gone out to dinner and dropped Wilson off around 8:30 [p.m.]. Minutes later, a neighbor’s security camera captured an SUV pulling up to the apartment. Police matched the SUV to a similar one registered to Strickland and Armstrong’s residence.
When Wilson’s friend returned home around 10 p.m. that evening, she found her unresponsive and covered in blood on the bathroom floor. Wilson was pronounced dead after the arrival of the police.
The affidavit states that Wilson was shot several times with a 9mm handgun. Strickland later told police that he and Armstrong both own 9mm guns, but that he had never shot it. Strickland has not been charged with any offense, and has since made his own statement to the local media.

The discovery of that relationship is said to have infuriated Armstrong - who cops think snapped and killed Wilson after learning of a secret tryst on May 11.

Strickland told Armstrong he was going out to deliver flowers, and claimed his battery had died, meaning he was unable to contact her, police say.

But cops say Strickland was actually away swimming with Wilson. They believe the discovery of that lie may have driven Armstrong to kill.

More at link.

Austin woman in love triangle accused of killing pro cyclist Anna Moriah Wilson, police say – Austin American-Statesman
<snipped & BBM>
Kaitlin Marie Armstrong, 34, of Austin, faces a murder charge in connection with the shooting. Police spoke with Armstrong on May 12 — the day after Wilson was killed — and confronted her with video surveillance that investigators say shows a vehicle matching one she drives pulling up to the residence where Wilson was staying. One minute earlier, Wilson had returned to the home after swimming with Armstrong's boyfriend.

Armstrong, police said, nodded in agreement when detectives told her the video did not look good for her.

[...]

Strickland told detectives Armstrong did not know where Wilson was staying. But Wilson's Strava account might have provided a clue: On the day she was killed, she uploaded a ride that began and ended at the home where she was staying.

Austin woman in love triangle accused of killing pro cyclist Anna Moriah Wilson, police say – Austin American-Statesman
<snipped & BBM>
Kaitlin Marie Armstrong, 34, of Austin, faces a murder charge in connection with the shooting. Police spoke with Armstrong on May 12 — the day after Wilson was killed — and confronted her with video surveillance that investigators say shows a vehicle matching one she drives pulling up to the residence where Wilson was staying. One minute earlier, Wilson had returned to the home after swimming with Armstrong's boyfriend.

Armstrong, police said, nodded in agreement when detectives told her the video did not look good for her.

[...]

Strickland told detectives Armstrong did not know where Wilson was staying. But Wilson's Strava account might have provided a clue: On the day she was killed, she uploaded a ride that began and ended at the home where she was staying.
Great info at that link. I read the arrest warrant and it seems like Wilson and Strickland may have still been in an relations, so it wasn’t exactly a one month fling in October. With video evidence, case seems pretty cut and dry. I wouldn’t be surprised if the suspect ends her life.

Crazy how the partner/spouse targets the “other woman” instead of their own partner! Not saying they should kill their spouse, but I always find it interesting that their anger is misplaced.

This goes into more detail:
And this is the affidavit:

Last edited:
Crazy how the partner/spouse targets the “other woman” instead of their own partner! Not saying they should kill their spouse, but I always find it interesting that their anger is misplaced.
Rage and jealousy like this is baffling to me all around. I guess I’ve never been a jealous person. But reading about how this woman shook with rage after finding out about the brief fling, and then said she wanted to kill the other woman? That’s bonkers to me. Just weird.

I think there’s a good chance the woman went off somewhere and killed herself.

Rage and jealousy like this is baffling to me all around. I guess I’ve never been a jealous person. But reading about how this woman shook with rage after finding out about the brief fling, and then said she wanted to kill the other woman? That’s bonkers to me. Just weird.

I think there’s a good chance the woman went off somewhere and killed herself.

I am trying to understand how it actually went down, not that she's necessarily innocent but if perhaps others were involved. That place had a lot of security due thefts, like MW had a special access code to the door and there were cameras in the neighborhood. How exactly did KA get inside since MO was killed in the bathroom and there apparently weren't any other alarms from the home security?...Like I guess MO could have left the door open after being dropped back off, but that seems a bit risky to count on that happening. KA also would have had to have kept distance since CS would recognize the car/license plate since it wasn't some stranger unfamiliar with KA that dropped off MO. She could have waited in the bushes in ambush, but we know that didn't happen with KA arriving afterward rather than before...unless someone else was driving KA's car and KA was already there before MO arrived back home, which that was from KA actually being picked up there instead of KA arriving.

This goes into more detail:
And this is the affidavit:

At first I wondered why MW would be involved with Strickland who was already in a relationship with KA, given everything everyone described about her personality and character. But after reading this article and the LE report, it seems that Strickland was playng them both. Seems that MW was confused about their relationship and wanting clarification, given the text she sent to Strickland when she saw him with KA at some event. I am guessing that he told MW that his relationship with KA was over, and he probably told KA that his relationship witht MW was over, also.

I wonder why he bought two firearms at the time he did, one for him and one for Armstrong. Why that timing.

Yes. It is often like this… I unwittingly got involved with a married man - he lied to me that he was separated and I didn’t find out until his wife found my number on his phone and called me - and the rage was totally directed at me, from his wife’s family and friends even. A friend even reported me to my employer and I had to change my number. (They are still together though and I wish them a happy and fulfilling marriage.)

Strickland's statement about being troubled by his "proximity" to this crime is really odd, IMO.

I am not suggesting that he was involved with the murder of MW, but I think he is more deeply involved in this love triangle than he is admitting at this time.
Agreed. I think he was playing both women and it was a dangerous game as Armstrong is/was clearly mentally unhinged over this situation.
This is very tragic.

It is interesting that MW arrived in Austin on May 10th and her friend picked her up at the airport, and the day after her arrival she goes out with Strickland to have a swim and dinner.

They didn't waste any time, doesn't sound like just a professional relationship, sounds like they were looking forward to seeing each other as soon as she arrived in Austin.

Meanwhile he was still living with another woman, KA.

And he lied to KA about where he was going that evening, sending her misleading texts.

This article mentions that KA and CS were also partners in a business together.

ETA: Mentions that she was the "financial guru" of the business.

Last edited:
From his IG post featured in the MSM article above: "Some can live without an array of creative outlets, but I cannot." Sounds like someone who thinks very highly of himself. I bet given a few years AMW would see right through him. So sad she fell victim to this toxic situation.

I can't believe Austin PD let KA go.

It actually really bothers me that Strickland went out of his way to clarify that he was not in a romantic relationship with Moriah at the time she was murdered. Does he not understand that the truth will be found out most likely and obviously the relationship was not on the up and up or he wouldn’t have had to lie to his girlfriend about where he was going?! He is not to blame for the murder obviously but wow this is gross behaviour IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth