TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art. 17.15. RULES FOR SETTING AMOUNT OF BAIL.

(a) The amount of bail and any conditions of bail to be required in any case in which the defendant has been arrested are to be regulated by the court, judge, magistrate, or officer taking the bail in accordance with Articles 17.20, 17.21, and 17.22 and are governed by the Constitution and the following rules:

1. Bail and any conditions of bail shall be sufficient to give reasonable assurance that the undertaking will be complied with.

2. The power to require bail is not to be used to make bail an instrument of oppression.

3. The nature of the offense and the circumstances under which the offense was committed are to be considered, including whether the offense:

(A) is an offense involving violence as defined by Article 17.03; or
(B) involves violence directed against a peace officer.

4. The ability to make bail shall be considered, and proof may be taken on this point.

5. The future safety of a victim of the alleged offense, law enforcement, and the community shall be considered.

6. The criminal history record information for the defendant, including information obtained through the statewide telecommunications system maintained by the Department of Public Safety and through the public safety report system developed under Article 17.021, shall be considered, including any acts of family violence, other pending criminal charges, and any instances in which the defendant failed to appear in court following release on bail.

7. The citizenship status of the defendant shall be considered.
(a-1) Notwithstanding any other law, the duties imposed by Subsection (a)(6) with respect to obtaining and considering information through the public safety report system do not apply until April 1, 2022. This subsection expires June 1, 2022.

(c) In this article, "family violence" has the meaning assigned by Section 71.004, Family Code.

Amended by:
Acts 2021, 87th Leg., 2nd C.S., Ch. 11 (S.B. 6), Sec. 10(a), eff. December 2, 2021.

According to this Texas firm (bbm):

In Texas, every court has a bond schedule that guides the judges on bail, depending on the type of crime. However, the judges and magistrates are free to adjust the amount, depending on the case. The common factors that the court uses to determine the bail amount are:

• The severity of the case
  • Whether the defendant was out on bail during the arrest
  • Whether the defendant may be a risk to society
  • Whether the defendant has prior criminal convictions
  • Whether the defendant is on probation due to another crime conviction
  • Whether the defendant is considered a flight risk
If any defendant is ever considered a flight risk, I would think it has to be one who has already flown, and who is facing a charge of Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution. Set that bond as high as possible, because given half a chance, she will take flight again. JMO

Last edited:
Careful what you wish for KA! She was asking about cheaper transportation, and boom! Free one-way trip back to Texas.

A witness who watched Kaitlin Marie Armstrong's arrest at a hostel on June 29 told Inside Edition that Armstrong, 34, left behind a passport with her [sister's] name on it.
"She was just asking about how to get around cheaper and then the police came," [ZP] told the outlet.

If anyone is ever considered a flight risk, I would think it has to be someone who has already flown, and who is facing a charge of Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution. Set that bond as high as possible, because given half a chance, she will take flight again. JMO
Of course.

And it really riled me that:

1. they asked her to “turn in her passport” when she’s proven she’ll use another’s fraudulently.
2. They offered GPS tracking, allowing her to be out from 8 am - 8 pm when suspects are known to disable these and flee.

Glad to see this.

Driving and hiding in someone else's apartment in the same vicinity to avoid prosecution is one thing,

Committing passport fraud and having a complete plan to depart the US and live with false identification, and altering your appearance is multiple levels higher in the "flight" part of the infraction.

It's like the old mobsters leaving NYC and trying to burn or mutilate their fingertips to avoid connection with murders.

IMHO, she deserves no bond or if necessary, a very high bond. I also think she is a flight risk and possibly a suicide ( or faked suicide) risk. And, she should be absolutely banned from any contact with the person whose identity she tried to assume by the passport and plastic surgery.
IMO, Very True; her future looks very bleak. What does she have to lose?

Driving and hiding in someone else's apartment in the same vicinity to avoid prosecution is one thing,

Committing passport fraud and having a complete plan to depart the US and live with false identification, and altering your appearance is multiple levels higher in the "flight" part of the infraction.
BBM EXACTLY!

"Her bond was set at $3.5 million, and if she makes bail, she would also be subject to GPS monitoring and an 8 p.m. curfew, court records show."

I don't think she paid it

"Her bond was set at $3.5 million, and if she makes bail, she would also be subject to GPS monitoring and an 8 p.m. curfew, court records show."

I believe she’d have to be arraigned in Austin and enter a plea, then pay it. Anyone know?

In any case, they are requesting to increase it, I wonder to what amount?

As far as we know, she hasn't paid it...yet, but is certainly conceivable that she will be able to, if it stays at the currently set amount.

RSBBM

$350,000

Bond is $3.5 million.
But would a bailbonds company have to finance that for her? She's a huge flight risk. She could take off and leave the bond company holding the bag. Who'd want to do that?
So, this might be more problematic than a matter of meeting a 10% sum.

But would a bailbonds company have to finance that for her? She's a huge flight risk. She could take off and leave the bond company holding the bag. Who'd want to do that?
So, this might be more problematic than a matter of meeting a 10% sum.
I just listed it. I'm not defending it.

IMO bond should be revoked.

I guess getting a bail bond company to help would depend on the collateral offered.

I can't download an update on the case on my Android. It is a public database.

Screenshot_20220705-144816_(1).png

Maybe people who knew she had been to Costa Rica before and figured she might be there?
Possibly former clients of hers in Austin with whom KA mentoned having been to Costa Rica to study/teach yoga?
I think anyone who searched the flights that left Newark airport that day could figure out which one she'd likely take. Most flights go to US destinations, only a few to European hubs, etc.

JMO

I wonder why they couldn’t revoke bond? Texas would appear to be a tough-on-crime state.
Once she appears in court and pleads not guilty, in the eyes of the law ie the legal statutes that judges follow, she is innocent until a guilty verdict comes down.

ETA, this doesn't mean the judge won't deny bond, but if she does get bond, IMO this will be why.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member