TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fleeing kills any chance for negotiation IMO. This is not some going to another state to hide. This was a deliberate elaborate attempt to escape even before she was properly charged. It's not like she was being unjustly railroaded for months and didn't see any other way out.

If she didn't try to flee, you could try to insert all sorts of doubts because there is no physical evidence she pulled the trigger, but it becomes very hard in this situation.
I just had a bizarre thought ... Could she turn this around and claim that she fled because she was afraid once Colin found out what she did, that he'd go after her?

I've read it a few places. Here is one link, Kaitlin Armstrong: Accused Killer of Cyclist Anna Moriah Wilson
Screenshot attached where Wilson's friend says that she blocked Armstrong's number.

Here's another link that references MW blocking KA. Austin-area cyclist charged with murder of Moriah Wilson, rising cyclist star
Thank you -- I would have never checked a cycling journal or pseudonym source.

If true, this tells me that MW was aware of KA and where she appeared mentally at the time of contact. In my experience, a woman doesn't call the rival or 'other woman' unless she's not getting any response on the matter from the male subject.

The fleeing kills any chance for negotiation IMO. This is not some going to another state to hide. This was a deliberate elaborate attempt to escape even before she was properly charged. It's not like she was being unjustly railroaded for months and didn't see any other way out.

If she didn't try to flee, you could try to insert all sorts of doubts because there is no physical evidence she pulled the trigger, but it becomes very hard in this situation.
And the plastic surgery and changing her hair. That shows intent to further evade capture.

I just had a bizarre thought ... Could she turn this around and claim that she fled because she was afraid once Colin found out what she did, that he'd go after her?
KA demonstrated she could have been safe in New Jersey or NY -- she could not be located there by those with many more resources than CS! KA really has no excuse for leaving the country illegally.

KA demonstrated she could have been safe in New Jersey or NY -- she could not be located there by those with many more resources than CS! KA really has no excuse for leaving the country illegally.
Oh I agree. Just wondering what bizarreness we may hear at some point if she tries to concoct a story.

Like I said, going to another state and hiding at a friends place is one thing, but what she did is straight up what a guilty person running from justice would do.
I don't automatically thing you're guilty for running, even from the law, but this is hard to spin otherwise (IMO)

Thank you -- I would have never checked a cycling journal or pseudonym source.

If true, this tells me that MW was aware of KA and where she appeared mentally at the time of contact. In my experience, a woman doesn't call the rival or 'other woman' unless she's not getting any response on the matter from the male subject.
I can tell you those calls would have been enough for me to stay away from the entire situation. MW didn't need to be involved in that mess. Many, many years ago I was involved in a similar situation, where I ran races with a male co-worker, who apparently had been in a relationship with a nutcase female co-worker. Both were managers at our large corporation. She started doing all sorts of destructive things to me and my property and even forced her way into my apartment when we were there watching a movie together. After my tires were slashed and my car was stolen, I had had enough. He was not "all that." CS definitely wasn't worth the trouble. I'm so sorry that MW wasn't given the opportunity to make that decision herself.

JMO.

The plot thickens!

“So even if she could post bail, she’d remain in custody on the detainer, former federal prosecutor Neama Rahmani told Fox News Digital Wednesday.

According to the Justice Department, federal detainers are formal notices informing a given jurisdiction that an inmate faces pending charges in another.”

She can of course try. But IMO hard to prove once you fraudulently use a passport to leave the country and go to extremes to alter your appearance. I think most jurors would wonder why she never applied for a protective order if that were the case.

Hmm, I don’t see any mention of Strava in the affidavit (the one in document cloud). I know some articles have speculated KA could have tracked MW via Strava but haven’t seen law enforcement mention that app in affidavits or statements. Unless there is another affidavit out there.
This question was asked and answered in the affidavit. The Austin American Statesman.

CS told investigators detectives that KA would not have known where MW was staying and soon realized that her Stava App was open (viewable by all) and showed MW's ride earlier that day.
^^bbm

@Mariposa -- thanks for the correction -- it was reported in the Statesman.
I think it was "told detectives" that caused me to conflate the source.

Strickland told detectives Armstrong did not know where Wilson was staying. But Wilson's Strava account might have provided a clue: On the day she was killed, she uploaded a ride that began and ended at the home where she was staying.

According to Strickland, he and Armstrong were both "going their separate ways" only reconciled due in large part to co owning businesses together. Just the fact that Strickland had to "sneak around" and "cover his tracks" to enjoy some time with a female friend/ colleague shows how controlling and overbearing KA was. Strickland was a single guy not married and nobody should ever accept being followed around, checking their phone, harassing their friends online & by phone, spying on their social media is ever ok, it really is stalking and in this case ended in murder.

I beg to differ, CS wasn't a single guy, he was living with his girlfriend, regardless of what he is saying now. He admits they got together after a brief breakup in the fall, and that he ended the relationship with MW because of this, and went on to have a platonic only relationship with her.

He had plenty of opportunity to end the relationship and conduct business outside of a committed relationshop with KA but he chose not to. He chose to stay in the relationship.

I don't buy his story at all.

She's not the only one that was placed at the scene. In fact the one who purchased the gun and the ammo (and even called it "kill ammunition") was also placed at the scene at that time. If being there with a vehicle around the time of the murder while having access to the murder weapon means your guilty, you can see how that's problematic as that applies to more than just the person currently charged and as such could be a reason for there to be a plea.
LE are not going to try this case in the public, but just because we have not seen all of the evidence they have to back up their claim that KA murdered MW, that in no way means they do not have more than enough to secure a conviction. There is a reason that KA was charged so quickly, and the reason is because they know she did it, and she alone did it, and are confident they can prove it. We will see the evidence on display when this case goes to trial, but for now, we will just have to trust that they do have enough to get a conviction, and get justice for MW. JMO

She can of course try. But IMO hard to prove once you fraudulently use a passport to leave the country and go to extremes to alter your appearance. I think most jurors would wonder why she never applied for a protective order if that were the case.
True, except that she couldn't approach police for protection because she had just murdered someone. Anyway, was just a crazy thought as I do wonder what her defense story will be.

The plot thickens!

“So even if she could post bail, she’d remain in custody on the detainer, former federal prosecutor Neama Rahmani told Fox News Digital Wednesday.

According to the Justice Department, federal detainers are formal notices informing a given jurisdiction that an inmate faces pending charges in another.”

In Armstrong’s case, she is being held in Austin, Texas, on state charges of first-degree murder and theft of services.

On the federal level, she’s been charged with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution after spending 43 days on the lam while named in a murder warrant.

BBM

ETA:
The charge carries a sentence of up to five years in prison, per:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads