TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
MW's Specialized Works Bicycle and travel bag were inside the house when MW left for dinner with CS.

We know from the AA that the travel bag was at the bottom of the stairs, partially covering the carport, and the bicycle was located concealed in thick bamboo, about 68 ft south of the host's residence.

Presuming KA was responsible for disturbing and removing the bag and Works Bicycle from inside the residence.

Was this her attempt to make this shooting appear like a robbery gone bad? Where the owner surprised the thief?

What a stupid idea!
Delayed her getaway, more exposure, and opportunity to be caught.

How awful for MW's host. :eek:

Last edited:
^^bbm

@Mariposa -- thanks for the correction -- it was reported in the Statesman.
I think it was "told detectives" that caused me to conflate the source.

Strickland told detectives Armstrong did not know where Wilson was staying. But Wilson's Strava account might have provided a clue: On the day she was killed, she uploaded a ride that began and ended at the home where she was staying.

I If MW used Strava on the day she was killed to upload a ride that began and ended at the home where she was staying still doesn't explain why KA was picked up on a neighbor's security camera May 10 the day prior to MW publicly exposing her location and her murder on May 11. KA was using other surveillance methods beside Strava. JMO

From what the friend/host disclosed, there was ONE phone notification that the door was unlocked using the code provided to MW. The door then was never locked. I HIGHLY doubt KA knocked on MW's door. She probably walked right in.
MW's Specialized Works Bicycle and travel bag were inside the house when MW left for dinner with CS.
Nothing I've read states the travel bag was, in fact, inside the house when MW left for dinner. Only that the friend/host reminded her to bring it in.

If MW used Strava on the day she was killed to upload a ride that began and ended at the home where she was staying still doesn't explain why KA was picked up on a neighbor's security camera May 10 the day prior to MW publicly exposing her location and her murder on May 11. KA was using other surveillance methods beside Strava. JMO
^^
@Mangosweet (broken quote)

I think it was the same Statesman news article that cited KA started following MW on Instagram around Feb-- sometime after the January event that KA attended with CS and was uncomfortable for MW.

Honestly, I don't doubt KA knew the flight MW arrived in Austin on!

If anything, I think Stava confirmed things for her. Also, wasn't KA caught on surveillance riding her bike past the residence the day before she allegedly shot MW?

From what the friend/host disclosed, there was ONE phone notification that the door was unlocked using the code provided to MW. The door then was never locked. I HIGHLY doubt KA knocked on MW's door. She probably walked right in.

Nothing I've read states the travel bag was, in fact, inside the house when MW left for dinner. Only that the friend/host reminded her to bring it in.
IMO, the host made a special effort to return inside and ask MW to bring her bag inside the residence so that it not be stolen. This was her residence and I think MW would consider that sound advice -- who knows the neighborhood better than the resident?

I believe both the travel bag and bicycle were inside the residence.

If MW used Strava on the day she was killed to upload a ride that began and ended at the home where she was staying still doesn't explain why KA was picked up on a neighbor's security camera May 10 the day prior to MW publicly exposing her location and her murder on May 11. KA was using other surveillance methods beside Strava. JMO
^^
@Mangosweet (broken quote)

I think it was the same Statesman news article that cited KA started following MW on Instagram around Feb-- sometime after the January event that KA attended with CS and was uncomfortable for MW.

Honestly, I don't doubt KA knew the flight MW arrived in Austin on!

If anything, I think Stava confirmed things for her. Also, wasn't KA caught on surveillance riding her bike past the residence the day before she allegedly shot MW?
This is really gutsy on KA's part. In this day and age of cameras everywhere.

Not sure if this was already posted in a previous thread, but if you use the wayback machine to look at KA's STRAVA (now private), it shows she went on a ride the AM of May 11 and in the PM on the 10th. If you look at the map of the ride on May 11, you'll see she may have gone by both where MW was staying and perhaps Austin locations captured by MW's STRAVA ride that day. I'd wager KA was tracking MW and CS all day in some capacity.

It may have been one of those things where the informant thought at the time it was just an expression of speech and noted that KA was extremely angry, but never thought she would be capable of murder, enough to take the next step to warn anyone. But then after there was a murder, looking back in hindsight, those "comments" suddenly take on a new like and are very damning.

Yes, and all of us could use this phrase and never mean it, of course. However, there is an indication that KA could get very angry. And if a good friend, who trusts Mo enough to let her stay in the house, considers it important to get back to talk to Mo about her seeing Colin, whatever the topic is, it might have started with, “look, regarding Colin, people are saying that…” (and then something not too nice to follow. Including jealous, angry gf).

Not sure if this was already posted in a previous thread, but if you use the wayback machine to look at KA's STRAVA (now private), it shows she went on a ride the AM of May 11 and in the PM on the 10th. If you look at the map of the ride on May 11, you'll see she may have gone by both where MW was staying and perhaps Austin locations captured by MW's STRAVA ride that day. I'd wager KA was tracking MW and CS all day in some capacity.
So scary!

I've not personally seen any posts trashing CS but encourage OP and anybody else reading to report them.

I don't know anything about CS and my only thoughts are wondering why he was critical of LE getting his statements wrong. Fair question.

I agree. In fact, if anything, not knowing CS much, it seems that many of us, myself including, feel somewhat sorry for him (not yet old, unattached, a champion, probably, not horribly insightful about people, managed to get in a long-term relationship with a totally off her rocker woman. A story that is a cut between “Fatal attraction” and Liz Golyar.) I don’t know why he was critical of LE, I think he was more critical of the newspaper coverage, but to be honest, if I realized that for three years I was living, eating, sleeping next to an obsessed lunatic, I’d probably be shell-shocked for a long time.

I agree. I believe her legal team hit the ground running -- already motioned for discovery from LE. I expect they will be doing their best to have the charges downgraded to Felony Murder 2 (crime of passion).

Not that I believe this is true. I'm still trying to understand the real KA???

We shall never be able to. But someone, somewhere hit the mark, and I don’t remember where I saw it. The idea was that when KA feels that the world is unfair (Botox costs too much, or her BF has a crush on a young, famous, pretty woman), she impulsively, but consciously, breaks the law, and then runs away from responsibility. She might even get some high from it (feeling the smartest? The bravest?). I can’t blame the police for not prosecuting KA for that Botox deal, but maybe, had she gotten some consequences for that, she might have not ended up killing a human. I am not thinking KA should have been arrested, but were she made to repay the cost of the procedure, plus some fines, she’d at least know that comeuppance exists. As it stands, all that KA learned was the tendency to leave her mess for other people to deal with. Colin bought her a gun because she couldn’t (committed a felony); her sister risked, out of loyalty, and now, I bet, her parents have to pay for all of it. Two words about KA: stupid entitlement.

Colin bought her a gun because she couldn’t (committed a felony); her sister risked, out of loyalty, and now, I bet, her parents have to pay for all of it. Two words about KA: stupid entitlement.
^^rsbbm
That hits the nail squarely on the head -- ENTITLEMENT. Ripping the provider off is not wrong and/or illegal because I covet, and deserve it.

I'm perplexed at OP's comment that KA could not purchase a weapon because she committed/was convicted of a felony??? When/where was that? o_O

If true, not only could KA not purchase a weapon, but it would be illegal for her to possess a weapon or ammunition.

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1), the crime of Felon in Possession of a Firearm is committed when a convicted felon ships, transports, or possesses any firearm or ammunition that has been distributed in interstate or foreign commerce.

I can’t blame the police for not prosecuting KA for that Botox deal, but maybe, had she gotten some consequences for that, she might have not ended up killing a human. I am not thinking KA should have been arrested, but were she made to repay the cost of the procedure, plus some fines, she’d at least know that comeuppance exists.

I believe that KA is being prosecuted for the theft of service reported in March 2018. It's currently on the Austin Docket with a bond set at $3500.

When KA left w/o paying for the botox service, an arrest warrant was issued for her which has been outstanding for more than 4 years. However, Arrest warrants generally do not expire. Once they have been issued, a law enforcement officer can execute them whenever he or she next encounters the subject of the warrant. This can happen right after the warrant is issued, or months or even years afterward.

I think the wrong birth year on the warrant probably saved KA from getting picked up earlier. I'm sure the warrant was amended with the correct birthdate and she'll eventually have to respond to the charge.

As you stated earlier, the only thing after 4 years that's stopped KA from returning to the scene of the crime and satisfying her unpaid charges is that sense of entitlement. MOO

This article talks about the general “alternative perpetrator” defense in TX. Basically sounds like the bottom line is a defendant using that defense has to proffer some evidence in court pointing to an alternative perpetrator. Can’t just throw it out there without backing it up.

Thanks for that!

The next court date in her case is a preliminary hearing on July 20, but Armstrong herself will not be appearing.

That’s very strange that she will not be appearing. Doesn’t she have to enter her plea to the charges? Very strange….

I wonder what the chances are that this would go to a plea deal instead of a trial? Would that be more desirable for the defense attorney, or less? What about the prosecution? Of course in cases such as Jodi Arias, Scott Peterson, Casey Anthony there weren’t plea deals taken. I guess I don’t know how it works, really….

I can tell you those calls would have been enough for me to stay away from the entire situation. MW didn't need to be involved in that mess.
SBM for focus

From all I’ve read about MW she seemed to be a very disciplined, professional, serious and decent person. I don’t think she’d just be cavalier about hooking up with a man with a jealous live-in girlfriend.

I think it’s very likely that CS was giving MW some kind of story: We’re breaking up, it’s been over for awhile, we’re just in the process of sorting through our business entanglements; don’t listen to her, she’s just acting out, it doesn’t effect what I can and can’t do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member