TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here’s the Federal charge in Jersey. This is different from the Federal charge fleeing Texas.

Is the fraudulent passport charge still standing?

As of today, the government has not acted on the 7/7/2022 Complaint filed against KA pursuant to 18:1544.F - MISUSE OF PASSPORT, and no attorney has entered an appearance on her behalf.
District of New Jersey [LIVE] (Newark) CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 2:22-mj-08230-JSA-1

As of today, the government has not acted on the 7/7/2022 Complaint filed against KA pursuant to 18:1544.F - MISUSE OF PASSPORT, and no attorney has entered an appearance on her behalf.
District of New Jersey [LIVE] (Newark) CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 2:22-mj-08230-JSA-1
Thank you for finding that! No attorney has been entered an appearance on her behalf? What could this mean?

From the Dateline episode, it appears that KA's attorney expects that the federal charge of using someone else's passport will not be admissible at KA's trial for the murder of MW. I don't know if that is the case, but he seemed to imply that when questioned by the Dateline host. So if that is the case, he won't need an excuse regarding the passport, and apparently will address the issue of flight from justice as inappropriate since a warrant wasn't issued at the time of the flights from Texas to New York, and from New Jersey to Costa Rica.

I know there seems to be some question about the timing of the warrant, it was issued perhaps earlier than when it was made public/known.
A warrant was certainly in effect for the 40 plus days she was on the run. Even if an argument can be made that she wasn’t aware when she left for CR, she was headline news for most of the 40 days post-issuance of the warrant.

According to the Newark, NJ complaint,
”The ticket contained a slight misspelling of Individual-1’s name.”

She misspelled the name when she bought the international ticket. A name which should’ve been a pretty familiar name … I like to think that I’d … double check that? … before I started my international life on the lam??? …

According to the Newark, NJ complaint,
”The ticket contained a slight misspelling of Individual-1’s name.”

She misspelled the name when she bought the international ticket. A name which should’ve been a pretty familiar name … I like to think that I’d … double check that? … before I started my international life on the lam??? …

I think the consensus was that she probably used the shortened version of her sister's name. But I agree... everyone knows the info needs to exactly match the passport. Guess she had other things on her mind!

I think the consensus was that she probably used the shortened version of her sister's name. But I agree... everyone knows the info needs to exactly match the passport. Guess she had other things on her mind!
IMO she slightly misspelled the name on purpose hoping the ticket purchase wouldn’t show up in search results (if LE searched for tickets under the correct spelling) but also kept it close enough that the misspelling probably wouldn’t be noticed. If intentional, it worked out well for her… for a little while anyway.

CS may have loved KA ‘in his own way’. Maybe that worked for KA initially, but as time moved on, she may have wanted a deeper commitment.

I agree that the defense will try to poison both the public and jury opinion of CS. I’m more worried about them poisoning the opinion of MW. I think they will try to do both, and they may have some success with CS.

It is unfair to him, but it’s difficult to view him outside of the lens of this case. The two main case participants that knew him closely were KA and MW. One is in jail and one is dead. Not great fodder for the resume in the court of public opinion.

We will see how it plays out with a jury.

jmo
I think the defense will

1) try to tarnish CS’s image to such a degree that there will be no “beyond reasonable doubt”. He will be presented as ungrateful, cheating, emotionally abusive, putting women down, misogynous, lying. This phrase, that KA escaped because she was afraid of CS being a killer, I think RC uttered it for a reason. If someone in the jury projects too much and thinks that CS, you know how they say, “there is no smoke without fire”, this can be enough.

(And CS may not be helpful either. He might get irritated with cross-examination and it will hurt the case. JMO).

2) And Mo will be tainted “by proximity”. For sure the defense will present this case in the light unfavorable to her. This is why a movie about her athletic and scholastic achievements is important.

But CS will take the brunt of it. Personally, I don’t care about him, but I don’t want to see KA walk free.

For some reason, I picture CS on the stand, speaking in a manner that interjects passive dark humor, ala Johnny Depp on the stand during the Amber Heard trial. And if Teal Akerson gets to testify, the media will have a field day with his quotes. “Costa Rica: where the wanted and unwanted go.”

Oh boy. This will be an interesting trial.

jmo

For some reason, I picture CS on the stand, speaking in a manner that interjects passive dark humor, ala Johnny Depp on the stand during the Amber Heard trial. And if Teal Akerson gets to testify, the media will have a field day with his quotes. “Costa Rica: where the wanted and unwanted go.”

Oh boy. This will be an interesting trial.

jmo

Trying to imagine CS and Teal smoking a blunt together during the adjournment.

"Cofer has called 'sensationalized headlines' and a 'carnival-like media storm'."

You bet! - but who created it? KA, who stealthily escaped the country on another person's passport, leading the US Marshals on a 43-day international chase, and when apprehended, returned back from Costa Rica with evidence of plastic surgery, looking more like her sister than herself. KA is the destroyer who first created a tragedy, and then turned it into a costly farce. The "carnival- like" applies best to her vacation in Costa Rica. And of course it is normal for people to joke, to release the tensions, but IRL, what cynicism, Mo is six feet under, and KA enjoying the surf.

This case is open and shut. Her attorney is doing a great job with headline management, I think he’s maneuvering for a plea. A Texas jury, even an Austin jury, is going to have zero tolerance for a theory of the case that is not believable on its best day.

do we know when next court dates are
As of 8/24:

“…Her attorneys requested a speedy trial, and a judge set the docket call for Oct. 19 with a jury trial the following week.

Now, it seems like the trial may not happen that quickly.

A Travis County judge said in a pretrial hearing Wednesday morning that the odds of Armstrong heading to trial this October are highly unlikely.”

This is what the court calendar shows: Criminal Docket Search

DefendantAttorneyCauseDate & TimeAppear at CourthouseCourtFloorTypeCharge
ARMSTRONG, KAITLIN MARIECOFER, RICHARDC-1-CR-18-15096910/19/22 9:30 AMNoCC54JDCTHEFT OF SERVICE >$100 <$750
ARMSTRONG, KAITLIN MARIECOFER, RICHARDD-1-DC-22-30112910/19/22 11:15 AMAppear4032PTRWMURDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123