TX - Multiple Dallas Police Officers shot during downtown protest, 7/7/16 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is why BLM has successfully marched across the globe so regualiily. Rarely have the BLM events resulted in violence. The ones that go off do so for one or two reasons. Someone in the community isnt there for the problem, just wanna act out, or the cops agitate.

Deescalating techniques do work moo

I remember quite early on in this same thread, you were concerned about if the officers were getting paid when they were waiting at hospitals etc while this was all unraveling.

I think the BLM movement should be presented with a bill for all of the policing hours required for all of their protests, how would this sit with you? Every single night in so many cities across our nation, officers are really wasting much more time IMO than the few hours you were talking about when this unfolded.

Those endless cell phone videos are often only a snippet of the entire interaction with the police. They generally represent a simple presentation of a complex more involved situation. Which is one of the reasons why many of the cops 'get off' without a conviction. Because there is quite often more to it than a cop 'hunting' a POC.

Those endless cell phone videos are often only a snippet of the entire interaction with the police. They generally represent a simple presentation of a complex more involved situation. Which is one of the reasons why many of the cops 'get off' without a conviction. Because there is quite often more to it than a cop 'hunting' a POC.

I agree with you and why not wait until the incident is fully investigated. If there is wrongdoing, I will be first in line to condemn it. I think there are bad police officers but they are in the minority, why not call those out. I am really glad the FBI is involved in the Baton Rouge incident.

Micah Johnson planned larger attack long before Dallas police shootings; scrawled message in blood during standoff
New York Daily News
Updated: Sunday, July 10, 2016, 11:32 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-attack-wrote-message-blood-article-1.2706272

Police Chief David Brown

““Our search of the suspect's home in Mesquite leads us to believe, based on evidence of bomb-making materials and a journal, that this suspect had been practicing explosive detonations and that the materials were such that it was large enough to have devastating effects throughout our city and our North Texas area,” Brown said on CNN’s “State of the Union.””

“We believe that the deaths in Minnesota and the deaths in Louisiana just sparked his delusion to fast-track his plans, and he saw the protest in Dallas as an opportunity to begin wreaking havoc on our officers.”

Brown said it remains “undetermined” if Johnson also intended to target civilians.”

“Brown said Johnson was apparently shot and wounded while running to refuge. During his standoff, he scrawled a message in his own blood on a wall: “RB.” The meaning of the message is unknown.”​

More...

I do not understand what the problem is in admitting that racism is a part of the US culture and it needs to be eliminatef in order for these riots and killings to stop. Racism is a power structure inflicted on those without power.And that means killing by every one.

It happens all over the world. Even in the US the war of Independence was fought for freedom from England.

I do not think violence and war are the way. I think confronting issues and finding solutions are the way.

And I do not understand what the problem is in understanding that today in America white people still may have more power (and there are numerically just more white people than any other group) but nearly EVERY group has enough power to negatively affect others via racism, or to choose to positively affect social dialogue and influence societal change. We have not just a black president and attorney general but many black and brown legislators, mayors, police chiefs, military officers, business owners, authors, musicians, athletes with huge platforms, etc., etc., etc. That is VERY different than the way the world was even 40 years ago, but it is the way it is now.

There is no group of people in America today more racist than another, and the racism of no group is benign. This week it was very publicly shown just how deadly it can be. We don't yet know if racism motivated the shootings in LA or MN but we DO know it was the motivation of the Dallas shooter.

We are all accountable for how we treat others in society around us. We all must be committed to challenging our own assumptions first, BEFORE we think it is our job to go around pointing the finger at everyone else. Value signaling may feel good, and we've all probably stooped to that at one point or another, and probably even on these threads, but when it is just used to mask ignorance and as a way to deflect from uncomfortable challenges, it harms the causes of justice and equality and unity and reinforces the obstacles to peace.

Some of the newer movements discussed here seem like maybe they get that. I don't doubt there won't be some in our country who are determined to be the Archie Bunkers of their own time, hopelessly insistent on living in the past, shaking their fist at a world where their verbal daggers have lost their potency. I admit that every day I find it a little harder to have sympathy for them, whatever 'side' of any debate they are on.

Dallas Police Chief: Micah Johnson Planned To Target Police Before Fatal Shootings Of 2 Black Men
CBS
July 10, 2016 9:51 AM

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/07/10/micah-johnson-dallas-shooting/

“Johnson had practiced military-style drills in his yard and trained at a private self-defense school that teaches special tactics, including “shooting on the move,” a maneuver in which an attacker fires and changes position before firing again.

Johnson, an Army veteran, received instruction at the Academy of Combative Warrior Arts in the Dallas suburb of Richardson about two years ago, said the school’s founder and chief instructor, Justin J. Everman.

Everman’s statement was corroborated by a police report from May 8, 2015, when someone at a business a short distance away called in a report of several suspicious people in a parked SUV.

The investigating officer closed the case just minutes after arriving at a strip mall. While there, the officer spoke to Johnson, who said he “had just gotten out of a class at a nearby self-defense school.”

Johnson told the officer he was “waiting for his dad to arrive” and pick up his brother. No one else was apparently questioned.​

Lots of info in this article.

I do not understand what the problem is in admitting that racism is a part of the US culture and it needs to be eliminatef in order for these riots and killings to stop. Racism is a power structure inflicted on those without power.And that means killing by every one.

It happens all over the world. Even in the US the war of Independence was fought for freedom from England.

I do not think violence and war are the way. I think confronting issues and finding solutions are the way.

I can easily admit that racism is part of American culture but I think where my thinking veers off from some others is that I feel racism is perpetuated by people of all colors, cultures, etc... whereas I feel some think only white people are racists. Even automatically assuming that 2 black men killed by police MUST be due to their being black, is racist thinking imo. Assuming black people cannot be racist is racist thinking... What the country needs is a whole new influx of Mr. Rogers-like thinking and reaching out to our children again. He taught us to "judge each person for the wonderful individual they are"... and that "they were wonderful just for who they were" and that "there was only ONE of them in the whole world." When my son was 5-7, he went to a nursery here in Orlando where he was the only white child and he loved all the kids who were nice to him (because they were black and might be mean? No... because he liked the kids who were nice to him, that's all... and I know this because they were all black.) When he would arrive in the morning about 10 children would run to him and give him a huge group hug and all say, "Pumpkin is here! Oh, it's Pumpkin!... Yay Pumpkin!" Okay... he had red hair... so what! When another liked child would arrive a new group hug would begin with all the kids shouting that child's name, too. This is what breaks my heart. Children are so reachable and devoid of all this hate. Yes...the whole comment is hokey (especially the Mr. Rogers part) but it's all true imo. Recently, at the age of 27, my son went back to the nursery to find his favorite teachers and the director because he wanted to thank them for his time spent and let them know how much he had loved the time he spent there. Unfortunately, all those teachers were gone and the director had died some years ago and that made him sad... he had never forgotten them though. Personally, these are the moments that create change in attitudes but everybody has to be willing to try. This is what we don't have and I feel we are traveling further from this all the time. But, WE don't have to.

Dallas Police Chief: Micah Johnson Planned To Target Police Before Fatal Shootings Of 2 Black Men
CBS
July 10, 2016 9:51 AM

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/07/10/micah-johnson-dallas-shooting/

“Johnson had practiced military-style drills in his yard and trained at a private self-defense school that teaches special tactics, including “shooting on the move,” a maneuver in which an attacker fires and changes position before firing again.

Johnson, an Army veteran, received instruction at the Academy of Combative Warrior Arts in the Dallas suburb of Richardson about two years ago, said the school’s founder and chief instructor, Justin J. Everman.

Everman’s statement was corroborated by a police report from May 8, 2015, when someone at a business a short distance away called in a report of several suspicious people in a parked SUV.

The investigating officer closed the case just minutes after arriving at a strip mall. While there, the officer spoke to Johnson, who said he “had just gotten out of a class at a nearby self-defense school.”

Johnson told the officer he was “waiting for his dad to arrive” and pick up his brother. No one else was apparently questioned.​

Lots of info in this article.

I wonder what his mother thought was going on with him.?

@WFAAChannel8

JUST IN: DART says Officer Misty McBride has been discharged, meaning all injured officers have left area hospitals. #DallasPoliceShooting

ETA from WFAA:

DART says Officer Misty McBride has been discharged, meaning all 3 injured DART officers have left area hospitals. #DallasPoliceShooting

(Suggests the possibility that wounded DPD officer(s) could still be in the hospital. Unknown to me if they have all been released.)

About Officer McBride that night:

Raphael Taylor, a Dallas man who witnessed Thursday night's deadly ambush on law enforcement, said he has a Dallas Area Rapid Transit officer to thank for saving his life.

"The officer, the lady officer seen the gunfire, tried to run over and help us and ended up being shot," Taylor said.

"She saved my life,” Taylor said. “I want to tell her, 'Thank you. And I hope that you get better. I hope you’re well. And I hope that God [is] with you.'"

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Am...86202251.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DFWBrand

I wonder what his mother thought was going on with him.?

Well, it is Texas. Guns are more a part of their culture there then they are where I live. And certainly a part of military culture. So maybe she didn't think much of that at all.

Wonder what the RB stood for?
Real Bas****?
Racist Boor?
Red Blood, like every man, woman and child no matter race, creed, or colour?
imo, speculation.

http://www.cp24.com/world/dallas-suspect-taunted-police-during-2-hours-of-negotiation-1.2980836
Micah Johnson, a black Army veteran, insisted on speaking with a black negotiator and wrote in blood on the wall of a parking garage where police cornered and later killed him, David Brown told CNN's "State of the Union."

Johnson, who was apparently wounded in a shootout with police, wrote the letters "RB" and other markings, which investigators are trying to decipher by looking through evidence from Johnson's suburban Dallas home, Brown said.

Micah Johnson planned larger attack long before Dallas police shootings; scrawled message in blood during standoff
New York Daily News
Updated: Sunday, July 10, 2016, 11:32 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-attack-wrote-message-blood-article-1.2706272

Police Chief David Brown
““Our search of the suspect's home in Mesquite leads us to believe, based on evidence of bomb-making materials and a journal, that this suspect had been practicing explosive detonations and that the materials were such that it was large enough to have devastating effects throughout our city and our North Texas area,” Brown said on CNN’s “State of the Union.””

“We believe that the deaths in Minnesota and the deaths in Louisiana just sparked his delusion to fast-track his plans, and he saw the protest in Dallas as an opportunity to begin wreaking havoc on our officers.”

Brown said it remains “undetermined” if Johnson also intended to target civilians.”

“Brown said Johnson was apparently shot and wounded while running to refuge. During his standoff, he scrawled a message in his own blood on a wall: “RB.” The meaning of the message is unknown.”​

More...

My best guess: Revolution Black.

I beg your pardon? Did you read the article? "All of this killing" should be worded as "all of these criminals trying to kill cops and ending up dead themselves instead?" Their being killed is the direct consequence of their own criminal actions. My God...

Well, imo, it's not always that clear cut. They're not all criminals and they don't all ask for it. But, imo, telling an LE officer you have a gun and then reaching behind you is not smart.... (the officer, unfortunately, is not clairvoyant but I will still wait for the conclusions of any and all actions of investigation that must now take place before I make up my mind) .... going to a peace rally with a rifle (don't care if it's legal btw... don't care if it's loaded or not) and then getting angry and declaring you have been "defamed" is not logical, imo

"Are you so blind, sir, that you don't understand why police want to question you? Put your photo out there? Really? By what logic do you speak of possibly suing the police for "defaming" you? And, why do you assume police have "defamed" you because you are black and not because you brought a rifle to a peace rally and witnesses reported you to police as a possible POI? You don't think a white person with a rifle would be questioned? I disagree with you. Didn't they question you and release you? Are you simply looking for a tax payer pay off? You're not going to win it... but you do now have a lot of people out there agreeing with you which, for me, defies logic so badly that it's beyond my understanding."

Are you pulled over in a car and immediately begin yelling and screaming and getting into a wrestling match with an armed officer? Do you walk along a street pointing a gun this way and that way and up to the sky ? ...and then (reported by police to have pointed it at them... but we have to wait and see on that even though the sides are already all drawn up as usual!)
Do you dive head first into an officer's police car and attempt to remove an officer's gun from his holster and shoot yourself in your own hand... run away and then run back in attack mode? Sorry... I don't care what color you are and I don't think most cases have even one thing to do with what color you are. It's your own actions that got you killed.

Brown and Rawlings today:

Brown called Sunday for a shift in the broader national discussion about policing, particularly in minority communities. The veteran chief acknowledged that not every force or officer "is perfect" and some shouldn't be cops, but that those bad actors are a fraction of the community.

Painting law enforcement with a broad brush is discouraging, Brown said, adding officers "risk their lives for $40,000 a year — $40,000 a year."

Asked what he'd say to demonstrators across the country who took to the streets recently in protest of police shootings of black men, Brown said: "We are sworn to protect you and your right to protest, and we will give our lives for it."

He then compared the tension between law enforcement and demonstrators as a relationship in which "you love that person but that person can't express or show that love back."

"There's no greater love than to give your life for someone, and that’s what we are continuing to be willing to do," he said, adding; "We just need to hear from protesters, back to us, 'We appreciate the work you do for us, in our right to protest.' That should be fairly easy."

Rawlings said that, in the wake of the attacks, Dallas is a "laboratory" for how the U.S. moves forward.

"Can we in a moment of crisis when officers are fallen, forgive? Can we disagree without demonizing? Can we see a better narrative as opposed to just absurdity? That there is redemption as we build this great city?" he said. "I believe we can and I believe we will.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...-r.b.-in-blood-on-walls-of-parking-garage.ece

Wonder what the RB stood for?
Real Bas****?
Racist Boor?
Red Blood, like every man, woman and child no matter race, creed, or colour?
imo, speculation.

http://www.cp24.com/world/dallas-suspect-taunted-police-during-2-hours-of-negotiation-1.2980836

Guessing maybe he was trying to write RBG for Red, Black, and Green? That's the colors of the flag popular with Afrocentric movements. He liked some Afrocentric pages on his FB that had that in their title, and I was wondering what it stood for so I googled it.

Guessing maybe he was trying to write RBG for Red, Black, and Green? That's the colors of the flag popular with Afrocentric movements. He liked some Afrocentric pages on his FB that had that in their title, and I was wondering what it stood for so I googled it.

It may not stand for anything at all. One security expert said it may be a signal to others to take similar actions. Who knows...

A few weeks ago a college student from a family I know and admire well, went into Chicago to attend a party. He left early because he had work the next day. As he approached his car, he was set upon by four other young men. He did what they told him to do: he gave them his watch, his wallet, and laid down so they could remove his shoes. They then proceed to kick him mercilessly...aiming for his head and gut over and over... knocking out his teeth...just one vicious kick after another to a young man who had given no resistance. The victim and his assailants were all Black.

Always missing from the conversation about police encounters is the hellholes that so many of our cities have become. Places we dare not enter after dark, and Black, White or Green have to have that "other talk" with our kids: stay away! Because of poverty many are condemned to live in these heinous areas, through no fault of their own. Shopkeepers try to service these neighborhoods and eke out small livings for themselves and their families. Often "gentle giants" like Micheal Brown push in, steal their merchandise and bully and threaten them into taking a loss. Shops are looted , merchandise stolen...and the shopkeepers close up and leave, causing more hardship.

But police put on a uniform everyday and try to deal with the gangs, the bullies, the tough guys who terrorize to TAKE what they covet. The MSM tries to imply that these events happen in Mayberry RFD where gentle souls are just taking a Sunday drive. Our President, who wisely implores us after horrific terror attacks to never blame ALL Muslims, wait for facts, blah, blah. But he NEVER makes that his first statement after a police killing. Why not apply the same tone, rhetoric, and reasoning?

We DO not walk a mile in the shoes of the police who deal with the element that kicked a young man....of their color...for SPORT. We imagine the populations of these dangerous areas as gentle disenfranchised souls, preyed on for no reason. We are forbidden to talk about the truth of these neighborhoods by political correctness. ALL sympathy must be directed ONE WAY only...never to the young police officier trying to get home to his family.

That's what our young friend was trying to do that night. Just trying to get home, get some sleep, and go to work the next day. Instead he spent days in the hospital. But he was lucky. Over 100 souls lost their lives in Chicago that weekend. It's a killing zone...and it's not police doing THOSE killings!

We must speak up and stop being intimidated by political correctness...to make those who think Kumbya is all we need. It's time for responsibility to be TAKEN by all of us, ALL of us...not just fingers pointed one way. Our cities have had money poured into them for generations to address a problem that has gotten in NO WAY BETTER...for all the sympathy, hard work, and tax dollars.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pepper 34
Imo it boils down to something said a long time ago... "All men are created equal." However, I think the real problem is, that in this day and age, it has come to be that almost anything a person can say will be most positively misconstrued and complained about by others. Here... we would have people point fingers and shout labels such as "Misogyny! All MEN? Only men? Not WOMEN?" I think it has become almost the norm among many to jump to conclusions without really studying a situation or the real meaning of another's words and then refuse to change their minds in the face of eventual facts (either way; either "side.") Example would be... the immediate condemnation (by some) towards the police who killed the 2 black men in Louisiana and Minnesota. A review of the deaths is taking place and there may be legal action, if warranted, but the condemnation began just seconds after the deaths of those 2 men. No "innocent until proven guilty" for those who MAY have felt compelled to shoot to protect themselves. No, the police are automatically guilty to some people.... and they will NEVER change their minds no matter what they read or hear if they don't want to read or hear it and if it better suits their own agendas to continue to think as they concluded immediately. Personally, I have to study a situation longer than a few seconds before I can know what I can believe. I can't assume or compare to any other case. I have to face each incident that happens completely on it's own merits. At the same time, when I hear "All men are created equal" I can accept that this was written a long time ago and the value of the statement includes all people in this day and age. I don't have to go off on a long harangue about "fat-pig white men and their hate for women." I don't know when or why, it seems to me, many people around the world have become people who immediately react instead of observing, learning, listening and coming to well-thought-out conclusions before shouting out what they decide the moment they hear a "news" announcement. Have we become so used to hate that we LIKE to feed our hate every day... steady diet of more hate? Even our own president reacts this way imo. It is not a good way to think imo. Innocent people die because of this way of thinking as they did just a few days ago... and here I sit waiting to read about more deaths any time now.... Imo, even the news agencies are playing with fire and I am personally very heart-sick about it.

They rarely are found guilty of anything - thats the problem moo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My meaning was that the police are assumed by many people to be guilty BEFORE any investigation is done.... they are often deemed guilty within minutes of people hearing a news story. As for how many police officers are found guilty AFTER investigation and a visit before a court room judge... I have no idea or statistics to draw any conclusions. If it is true that "they are rarely found guilty of anything" ... I don't know if that is the problem because I don't know if they SHOULD have been found guilty. I can't assume anything. That has been my main message in many of my comments. I don't assume according to my emotional feelings and because I feel better thinking this way or that way. I have to have the facts to my own satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member