TX - Mya Wallace, 6 mos, dies in hot car, New Braunfels, 8 March 2011

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by wfgodot, Mar 9, 2011.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

New Braunfels infant dies in hot car
    more, including video, at KENS 5 link above

2. Loading...

3. peeples

peeples New Member

I have been soo sleep deprived I was on the verge of hallucinating. and having 5 kids in 4 different schools my schedule is NEVER consistant. I HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN MY CHILDREN!
    I don't buy it "I forgot my baby".. i just can't in these cases.
    RIP poor angel, you deserved better

4. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

Oh man, not another one. This happens way too often.

Bless that poor baby.

5. Fairy1

Fairy1 Divided We Fall

I do not understand this and never will. I know, without a doubt, I could never have done this when my babies were young. We just had a case tried here in Vegas where the parents left their 4-year-old, disabled son in the car for 17 hours. What???? How in the HE!! do you forget about your own child for 17 hours?

6. LMax

LMax New Member

Putting the diaper bag next to your purse/briefcase in the front seat should remind a person. So sad...

7. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

My daycare has a rule - if my son is an hour late for daycare, and I haven't called to say he's not coming, they call me and ask.

How many lives could be saved if this was law?

8. kaas

kaas Member

It is just difficult to comprehend how one can be so preoccupied as to forget caring for your child.

9. KaylynnCouture

KaylynnCouture New Member

I don't understand how you could forget your child in the car for a second..let alone all day.

Rest in peace little one. :rose:

10. Lilicat

Lilicat New Member

The fact that your schedule is never consistent is the key here, these tragic cases most often happen when there is a deviation from the usual routine, for example the mother always drops the children off at the nursery but one day the dad does it and forgets. People get their head in to their usual routine and forget the quiet child in the back of the car.

Every time I hear about yet another of these cases I am grateful I don't drive because I believe everyone has the potential to make a terrible mistake.

I agree with the person who said a call from the nursery/child minder would make all the difference. I wish more places did it. Hopefully it would save some lives.

11. blue_the_puppy

blue_the_puppy Member

or the opposite, put your purse/laptop/briefcase next to the carseat in the back.

12. Quiche

Quiche New Member

My big fear was accidentally locking the keys in the car with my baby in there. I was hyper aware, all the time. So so sad. :(

13. Fairy1

Fairy1 Divided We Fall

I'm sorry - but I have to disagree. As a parent, your routine may deviate, but you're a parent, regardless of your routine. This is so much more than a "mistake."

HOW do you forget about your own child??? HOW??? No. I don't understand it at all.

14. RLynne

RLynne Verified Expert

15. Shear22

Shear22 Proud crime junkie!

Thanks for posting this. It's an excellent article, and heartbreaking is the perfect word for it. I remember hearing about one of the cases mentioned in the article when it happened.

16. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

I read an article that said to put your purse or cell or attache, etc, in the back seat near the baby to remind you.

What kind of world is it where parents would forget their kid but not their cell phone?

17. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

Just to be clear, I am not blaming anyone, as that is not my role. Just concerned that people are so wired in and preoccupied that the moments are lost, if that makes sense.

18. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

poor little one. Will reserve judgment. While I cannot imagine forgetting a baby in my backseat, I can allow that it could happen.

19. JBean

JBean Retired WS Administrator

I always put my purse next to the baby so I wouldn't forget my purse.

20. burbqueen

burbqueen New Member

I dont get it either. When I drop jr off at daycare my mind always goes back to what he is doing that day etc. I always miss my son and silently say a prayer that he is having a good day. How do you forget your own kid is in the seat? especially if your kid is an older baby. I know my son makes noises and babbles and he is only 10 1/2 months.

maybe i'm just an extra paranoid parent, but I even look in the back seat just in case. Sometimes I think these people are on drugs, mentally ill or just bad parents. Sorry guys IMO

21. MorenoI

MorenoI New Member

I don't understand how you can forget your baby in the car. I always look in the back seat when I get out of my car, just because Im paranoid like that. Even when I know that my baby is at home with my husband. Such a tragedy when all it takes is one sec to take a glance. At this point this has become a common thing we hear of, why not just make it a habit of looking in your back seat whenever you get out of the car?