TX - Mya Wallace, 6 mos, dies in hot car, New Braunfels, 8 March 2011

I think being certain that "that couldn't possibly happen to me" is not a safe thing to convince oneself of. I mean, I don't really understand it, and I don't really think it is all that likely (esp since I don't have a car), but I think it is safer to accept that it doesn't only happen to negligent or "bad" parents.

Accepting the possibility might be a way to prevent it, KWIM?

I don't understand how you can forget your baby in the car. I always look in the back seat when I get out of my car, just because Im paranoid like that. Even when I know that my baby is at home with my husband. Such a tragedy when all it takes is one sec to take a glance. At this point this has become a common thing we hear of, why not just make it a habit of looking in your back seat whenever you get out of the car?

exactly what I said! Maybe I am the only one, but I think about my baby frequently during the day. We have video at the daycare so I can pull it up here at work. I just cant see any person in their right mind "forgetting" about their child.

You know there was a famous case here in Dallas where this lady forgot her child in the car and her 2 year old got out of the house and someone found the toddler wandering the apartment complex. Well I knew the mom. i use to work with her and this chick was sweet as she could be, but there was something off about her. I knew she had received counseling and took leave off of work. She told the news that she was busy and forgot, blah blah, but I told my husband that yeah, she was a tad bit unstable.

Another friend of mine was high and forgot her kid in the car. So yeah, my opinion is tainted cause the only people I know that forgets their child is people that arent totally all there if you know what I mean.

IMHO you dont have to be paranoid to be a good mom, but I know for a fact I wouldnt even forget to leave my cell phone or purse in my car much less my son. I am forgetful, but I have priorities. Why don't I leave my cell ph in my car? Cause something might happen and the daycare might call. My purse? I might need my son's SSN or something, just in case. Most of my sense of responsibility stems from my kid. So if your priorities arent straight then yeah you might leave your kid in the car.

I think being certain that "that couldn't possibly happen to me" is not a safe thing to convince oneself of. I mean, I don't really understand it, and I don't really think it is all that likely (esp since I don't have a car), but I think it is safer to accept that it doesn't only happen to negligent or "bad" parents.

Accepting the possibility might be a way to prevent it, KWIM?

I completely agree with this. I think the article posted by RLynne below shows how this can happen to loving, responsible parents who also probably thought "this could never happen to me" before it did.

I've never come anywhere close to forgetting my kids, but I have twins and one or both of them have always made noise. Plus, I never have a reason to go to work without taking them to daycare, and daycare has always been out of the way, as opposed to on the way to work, so it's always the first thing that gets done. I have, though, ended up at the daycare on a day when their father was picking them up, and realized when I pulled into the parking lot that I had just gone there on autopilot. I also once parked the double stroller next to the car on the passenger side, put baby #1 in his carseat, put baby #2 in his carseat on the driver side, closed the trunk, and drove off without putting the stroller in the trunk. I realized it the next day. All of a sudden it just dawned on me and I ran out to check the trunk and no stroller. I went back to the parking lot and asked around at some of the stores, but it was just gone. How did it happen? Normally, I park the stroller right behind the car, but it seemed too dangerous in that parking lot. So when baby #2 went in the car I didn't see the stroller. I was stressed out, it was starting to rain, it was late, the babies were hungry, and I forgot all about it. It wasn't one of my kids, thank goodness, so it's a very different situation, but it was a $300 stroller... that I had only had for a couple of months.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html

This is a very thoughtful, well written piece from the Washington Post on how good, caring, careful parents can, in fact, accidentally leave kids in the car. Heartbreaking, well worth reading the entire thing.

I think this happens more frequently now, because I see a lot more parents 'juggling' the kids. I'm not pointing fingers, this is just my observation. Things are so much more different than even 25 years ago when I had my babies.

Moms and dads are taking turns dropping kids off. Sometimes the kids are divided up between mom and dad. I had a co-worker do this. They ended up leaving one kid at the house while both parents took different kids to practices. When they met up later, neither had the youngest! Luckily, he was patiently waiting at home on the back porch.

A lot of tots spend a good part of their day being driven around, as evidenced by the number of kids eating in car seats. I never let anyone, especially kids, eat in my car. I didn't have them in the car, but a couple of times a day for short trips though. Again, not blaming, just pointing out that kids today maybe spend a lot more time in cars.

I was the only one taking my daughter to daycare. If I went to work, I had to go by daycare on my way there, and back. Once, she stayed home with my hubby on a sick day, and I forgot and stopped by the daycare.

So, I guess, I feel judgmental. I really can't understand how you forget your child. As a mom, that just doesn't compute. I don't consider myself to be an overly cautious parent either; I'm pretty laid back. But maybe I just don't get it because things were different for me.

Every summer we have so many threads about children that die because they are left in a hot car.

I understand that accidents happen but I always missed my kids so very much that I thought of them multiple times during my shift. Every single day.

It's going to be a long summer if we already have kids dying from heat in cars :(

I think the most baffling thing is that in the parents' minds the kids were dropped off. So, they may actually think about the kids several times a day, but they believe they are where they are supposed to be, from what I understand.

That's very strange to me duckie. I'm not doubting that they think that, it's just strange to me. JMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back