TX TX - Patrick Russell Carver, 18, found beaten to death, Houston, 1 Sept 2010

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
From 2010:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...on-dead-in-southeast-Houston-home-1710977.php

The body of Patrick Russell Carver was discovered in a home in the 9900 block of Southport near Fuqua about 10:40 a.m., police said.

Police said he had apparent blunt force trauma on his head and was pronounced dead at the scene.

From 2014:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...-life-spiraled-down-so-did-murder-5587299.php

Rusty Carver said he never heard much in the months following the Sept. 1, 2010, beating death of his son, Patrick, in south Houston. He never understood why, because he thought the case did not seem that complicated. As he saw it, the killer likely was someone his son knew - there was no sign of forced entry.

Carver's one moment of relief early on came when a Houston police detective said there was a good chance the case could be solved quickly. There appeared to be an abundance of physical evidence along with some tips offered by Carver and some of Patrick's friends about who might have attacked him. But the detective's partner, Chandler, quickly pulled him away and told him not to say anything, Carver recalled.

From then on, neither Carver nor his ex-wife, Patrick's mother, received any updates on the investigation, he said...

Chandler's termination letter said he "did very little work on this case," including failing to follow up on a tip from a cab company, enter witness statements or contact a potential witness... So, as a city arbitrator this week begins to determine if Chandler should return to HPD, the families of homicide victims can only wonder if their questions will ever be answered.

New feature article on Patrick's murder:

http://www.khou.com/news/investigations/patrick/who-killed-patrick/369350245

The way Patrick was murdered led many to believe the suspect or suspects were someone he knew, possibly from a drug deal gone bad. Several copies of house keys were passed between friends and acquaintances who dropped by the house.

Patrick’s body was found lying just a few feet inside the front door, which was unlocked. There was no forced entry. No broken windows. Blood smeared the white walls...

After the Ryan Chandler scandal broke and tarnished the image of the Houston Police Department, new detectives were assigned to all of his cases... Patrick’s file wound up on the desk of Sgt. Fil Waters after Ryan Chandler’s laziness. Waters is a hard-nosed, tough-talking detective with more than 22 years in HPD’s homicide division. He claims to have obtained confessions in 88 percent of his cases...

Waters centered his investigation on one suspect: Rusty. The grieving father was stunned and confused... According to Rusty, Waters claimed Rusty was angry at his son for staying in the home, and that he used a motorcycle helmet to bludgeon his son to death...

Sources confirm that the police investigation was completed and forwarded to the Harris County District Attorney’s Office in February 2016, with Rusty named as the prime suspect. Prosecutors have yet to present the case to a grand jury to determine if charges should be filed.

Six years after Patrick’s murder, Rusty stares down at his laptop at a photo of his lost son.

“Some day, we will all know the truth,” he said.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I'm Patrick's dad. I joined hoping to resolve this case. <modsnip: Referenced post was removed> I spent more than 2 years crying about my loss. You have no idea what I've been through. You never will! Not only did I loose my baby boy, I lost my Family as well. Its going on 11 years with no closure. What do you need from me to help get Pats case solved. I will gladly do it. This is the worst thing that could ever happen to anyone. To lose Pat because of some issue I will never understand.

I DID NOT KILL MY SON! PERIOD!

Think about it what would I gain from killing my child, absolutely nothing. I'm still alive living in a personal hell every day. Walk a mile in my shoes, then judge me. Grieving is hard with no closure. No reason why. No answers. And worst of all, the detective working Pat's case did nothing with it for 3 years. That's a tremendous amount of wasted time. No investigation of any potential suspects including myself. Then the new detective focused solely on me. Didn't even question any of the people in our neighborhood. I did investigations and found a potential suspect and motive. But Det. Waters didn't care. He wanted to close the case to make HPD look good after the fiasco of the first Detectives screw up.

<modsnip: As a matter of safety in a true crime discussion forum, Websleuths does not allow members to post personal contact information on the public thread>

Last edited by a moderator:
His child was murdered. The police literally did nothing about it whatsoever. Years later, they "say" they have evidence that the father killed his son. That includes finding his DNA in his own house. The father defending himself against that kind of ridiculous accusation is not something you should hold against him.
And he was just answering the question posed (has he heard anything from the detectives working his son's case).

Nothing except the new detective trying to brow beat me into confessing even worse than you see on TV. It was a grueling 3 hour session, very emotional for me!! In 2016 I believe, I called Det Waters asking for disposition on the case and he said "case closed, referred to DA and Grand Jury for charges". Still nothing almost 10 years later. It really sucks not knowing who, why, and what for. Pat wasn't perfect but who is? No one I know....

I can't believe it's been 10 years today & there's still no justice for Patrick! My heart breaks for his family & friends. I've been trying to research the case & see if there's any way I can help, but there's just nothing out there so far. Praying this year will finally bring some answers & justice for Patrick

Thank you! Now we passed 11 years with no real progress. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate everything that anyone is trying to do. While researching on my own to update his memorial site I did discover that someone requested a copy of his autopsy. I stumbled across that by googling "Patrick Russell Carver".

Thank you! Now we passed 11 years with no real progress. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate everything that anyone is trying to do. While researching on my own to update his memorial site I did discover that someone requested a copy of his autopsy. I stumbled across that by googling "Patrick Russell Carver".
That was me, actually! I haven't gotten anything back. I'm not too hopeful but if I do actually get it I'm more than happy to share it with you if that's something you'd like.
Is there anything that we can do or anything that you think might help with solving this?

Thank you!! Please do so. I was surprised to see anyone requesting his autopsy TBH.

I'm extremely grateful that you have taken an interest in his case. I've been heartbroken for so long because of how Pat was treated by HPD!!

Here is what I've gathered since 2018, after talking to neighbors that were Pats age. I believe that Pat got drugs fronted to him. He held a party on August 31st, the night before the power was cut off. It's the only logical time because I was staying in Bacliff at that time. I feel that Pat got the drugs from a pair of brothers that live across the ditch from us. Several people told me about them when I was conducting interviews in the neighborhood. He most likely got ecstacy due to the nature of it being a party/feel good drug. How do I know this stuff you may ask? Child of the 60s and 70s, I do have a drug use history. And a few of his peers told me about it.

At some point the dealers showed up to get their money and for what ever reason he wouldn't pay them. I really believe there was 2 or more assailants, I don't believe one person could take Pat down, he was very strong and could fight very well. I can't speculate further, I can only tell my observations of when I arrived later that morning.

When I arrived I found odd things in the yard and walkway example a 1 foot piece of wire with small printed circuit and components on it and other stuff that shouldn't be there. I found the front door unlocked, that surprised me! When I opened the door there he was, not more than 4 feet from the front door on the tiled area that was just inside the house. Laying underneath the front window of the house. There was so much blood around his head spanning out towards the front door, I knew he wasn't alive at that point. I steped back outside and called 911.

I was in shock already because I remained calm for some reason. Paramedics arrived first, went in and came back outside. It was so fast I knew I was right. I remained outside for a really long time. Then 4 cops came to me requesting to see the bottom of my shoes. I complied. They were comparing them to a shoe print left in the blood. At somepoint they sent me downtown to be interviewed. I was there for about 5 hours before I was told the detectives wanted me back at the house. My mom came and got me and took me back to the house. The detectives had me go through the house to establish if anything was missing. The house was a mess. It had been ransacked by people looking for something. Computers were gone from the living room and Pats room. Speakers were also missing. Stuff from my bedroom closet also gone. And later after the detectives left I found a travel bag in the living room with most of the stuff from my closet in it. The police MUST have tripped over the bag several times while look for evidence. It amazed me that the cops left it behind and that I didn't bring it to their attention before they left.

My mom took me home with her to Conroe 50 miles north of Houston. Along that trip I lost it she and I cried the whole way there. I was truly devastated and remained that way for a few days. I'm welling up as I type this now.

I know I've forgotten stuff and possibly left out a few things but it's been so long and I can't forget the most horrible part. The "video that plays in my head" over and over, just finding him like he was. It wasn't right. Someone did this to him and left him to die. Why, the eternal question, WHY?

I need that closure, we need that closure! Pat deserves justice! And if HPD won't do it I hope someone else will. Thank you to all that are trying to do anything, it's more than HPD has done!

MOD NOTE:

Websleuths welcomes new members who have joined to discuss this puzzling case. Websleuths is fact-based, and does not allow info to be posted as fact unless it is substantiated by a link to an MSM article or LE statement that states it as such. Otherwise it is considered a rumor and a violation of TOS. Such posts are subject to removal.

If a member has a personal history and knowledge of the subjects of this case or any other, they may apply to become a Verified Insider here at Websleuths. That process is explained here:
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Sincerely,
ElementalLaura
Websleuths Moderator

ADMIN NOTE:

Popps has now been approved as a Verified Family Member in this discussion. We have reinstated Popps' posts that were removed pending verification.

As a VI, Popps is not required to provide links to support what they state as fact in relation to Patrick's case. Please treat our VI with respect at all times. If you disagree with something they have to say, do not argue with them or challenge them, or badger them for information they may not have or they may not wish to share. If you disagree with something, just scroll and roll.

As with any case, do not sleuth family members and/or post their information on the thread.

In all other respects, our VIs are held to the same Terms and Condition that all regular members must abide by.

Thank you to Popps and all other members who are here to discuss Patrick's case.

Thank you!! Please do so. I was surprised to see anyone requesting his autopsy TBH.
<rsbm>

Popps, just be prepared because you know that's gonna be a Very Tough Read. Been there ... different circumstances but IMO it eventually helps knowing every little detail that can be gleaned about your child's death.

Yes thank you to everyone for your support of Patrick. We just past the 11th year anniversary of Pats death. There is a massive hole in our hearts. All of his friends and family want closure for themselves as well as justice for Pat.

His 29th birthday will be on September the 17th. I have a memorial site for him at virtual memorials. If you would like to learn more about Patrick I invite you to go and visit it. I'm not sure if I can post a link to the site but you can find it by googling Patrick Russell Carver.

There is also a mini biography produced by the local news Channel 11 CBS affiliate
<rsbm>

Popps, just be prepared because you know that's gonna be a Very Tough Read. Been there ... different circumstances but IMO it eventually helps knowing every little detail that can be gleaned about your child's death.

Thank you, I agree with you!

I left him face down because I didn't want to remember him the way he was when I found him. He often comes to me in my dreams looking like he always did. He never speaks, but that's OK. I get to spend time with him like we used to do. He will always be 18 years of age to us.

<rsbm>

I'm sorry for your loss, it's never easy. It just becomes more distant from us as the years pass by.

I'm extremely grateful that you have taken an interest in his case. I've been heartbroken for so long because of how Pat was treated by HPD!!

Here is what I've gathered since 2018, after talking to neighbors that were Pats age. I believe that Pat got drugs fronted to him. He held a party on August 31st, the night before the power was cut off. It's the only logical time because I was staying in Bacliff at that time. I feel that Pat got the drugs from a pair of brothers that live across the ditch from us. Several people told me about them when I was conducting interviews in the neighborhood. He most likely got ecstacy due to the nature of it being a party/feel good drug. How do I know this stuff you may ask? Child of the 60s and 70s, I do have a drug use history. And a few of his peers told me about it.

At some point the dealers showed up to get their money and for what ever reason he wouldn't pay them. I really believe there was 2 or more assailants, I don't believe one person could take Pat down, he was very strong and could fight very well. I can't speculate further, I can only tell my observations of when I arrived later that morning.

When I arrived I found odd things in the yard and walkway example a 1 foot piece of wire with small printed circuit and components on it and other stuff that shouldn't be there. I found the front door unlocked, that surprised me! When I opened the door there he was, not more than 4 feet from the front door on the tiled area that was just inside the house. Laying underneath the front window of the house. There was so much blood around his head spanning out towards the front door, I knew he wasn't alive at that point. I steped back outside and called 911.

I was in shock already because I remained calm for some reason. Paramedics arrived first, went in and came back outside. It was so fast I knew I was right. I remained outside for a really long time. Then 4 cops came to me requesting to see the bottom of my shoes. I complied. They were comparing them to a shoe print left in the blood. At somepoint they sent me downtown to be interviewed. I was there for about 5 hours before I was told the detectives wanted me back at the house. My mom came and got me and took me back to the house. The detectives had me go through the house to establish if anything was missing. The house was a mess. It had been ransacked by people looking for something. Computers were gone from the living room and Pats room. Speakers were also missing. Stuff from my bedroom closet also gone. And later after the detectives left I found a travel bag in the living room with most of the stuff from my closet in it. The police MUST have tripped over the bag several times while look for evidence. It amazed me that the cops left it behind and that I didn't bring it to their attention before they left.

My mom took me home with her to Conroe 50 miles north of Houston. Along that trip I lost it she and I cried the whole way there. I was truly devastated and remained that way for a few days. I'm welling up as I type this now.

I know I've forgotten stuff and possibly left out a few things but it's been so long and I can't forget the most horrible part. The "video that plays in my head" over and over, just finding him like he was. It wasn't right. Someone did this to him and left him to die. Why, the eternal question, WHY?

I need that closure, we need that closure! Pat deserves justice! And if HPD won't do it I hope someone else will. Thank you to all that are trying to do anything, it's more than HPD has done!

I am sorry to hear about your situation and am hopeful you, the family and his friends can get answers and the closure being sought. I have read a few articles and watched the video below to learn more about Patrick and his case. It looks like the video below is from Feb of 2017. Has there been any additional information shared by LE on the case status or direction since then? Was the party you mentioned the night before he was found? What ever happened to the travel bag of items, and were other items missing that were not in that particular bag?

Thanks for taking the time to be with us, and I wish you answers and comfort during this difficult journey.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about your situation and am hopeful you, the family and his friends can get answers and the closure being sought. I have read a few articles and watched the video below to learn more about Patrick and his case. It looks like the video below is from Feb of 2017. Has there been any additional information shared by LE on the case status or direction since then? Was the party you mentioned the night before he was found? What ever happened to the travel bag of items, and were other items missing that were not in that particular bag?

Thanks for taking the time to be with us, and I wish you answers and comfort during this difficult journey.

LE? please advise.

I think the party was on the 31st. I can verify that by asking one of his friends hopfully.

I ended up carefully taking the bag and putting it in the back of my car. It remained untouch the whole time it was there. I continued to call Sgt. Ryan to give it to him. He never returned my calls. At some point I drove down to HPD head quarters in downtown Houston. I tearfully waited down stairs for someone to come and retrieve it.
Note I never touched anything in the bag. I did zip it open and I saw lots of stuff that had been in y footlocker in the closet. I was extra careful nit to touch anything inside. Who ever packed that bag had to leave finger prints on the items in the bag.

Eventually a detective came down to RETRIEVE the bag, I explained to him what I just explained to you. He took the bag and I never saw it again, nor did I hear anything back from HPD.

Pats and my media PC were missing along with the amplifier and all the speakers from both PCs. One of Pats friends told me he had a wad of cash at the party. The police found nothing. Pats cell phone was missing. There was stuff in disarray everywhere, it was obvious someone(s) where looking for something. For what I can only speculate.

My worst fear is that the bag had vital evidence in it, finger prints and or DNA from the assailant(s). The cops could have established a chain of custody had they just come back and grabbed the bag. They could have dispatched a squad car to pick it up my mom and I waited for almost two hours for them to come by. One if my neighbors across the street let me pull my car into his fenced in rear garage. I left my keys with him incase they did stop by. They never came.

I think about that massive mistake the cops made. I'm positive that there was valid evidence in that bag. Yet the keystone cops let another massive error pass them by. Someone had to pack that bag, there was definitely evidence in it. The footprint in Pat's blood should have helped once they had persons of interest.

As I think of more I will post again but feel free to ask me anything. I'm not afraid of anything when it comes to this subject matter, I might get emotional and tear up but I can't deny Pat like I did before I moved out. That's some of the hardest thing I regret, neglecting him as I did..... I'll never forgive myself for that, ever!

LE? please advise.

I think the party was on the 31st. I can verify that by asking one of his friends hopfully.

I ended up carefully taking the bag and putting it in the back of my car. It remained untouch the whole time it was there. I continued to call Sgt. Ryan to give it to him. He never returned my calls. At some point I drove down to HPD head quarters in downtown Houston. I tearfully waited down stairs for someone to come and retrieve it.
Note I never touched anything in the bag. I did zip it open and I saw lots of stuff that had been in y footlocker in the closet. I was extra careful nit to touch anything inside. Who ever packed that bag had to leave finger prints on the items in the bag.

Eventually a detective came down to RETRIEVE the bag, I explained to him what I just explained to you. He took the bag and I never saw it again, nor did I hear anything back from HPD.

Pats and my media PC were missing along with the amplifier and all the speakers from both PCs. One of Pats friends told me he had a wad of cash at the party. The police found nothing. Pats cell phone was missing. There was stuff in disarray everywhere, it was obvious someone(s) where looking for something. For what I can only speculate.

My worst fear is that the bag had vital evidence in it, finger prints and or DNA from the assailant(s). The cops could have established a chain of custody had they just come back and grabbed the bag. They could have dispatched a squad car to pick it up my mom and I waited for almost two hours for them to come by. One if my neighbors across the street let me pull my car into his fenced in rear garage. I left my keys with him incase they did stop by. They never came.

I think about that massive mistake the cops made. I'm positive that there was valid evidence in that bag. Yet the keystone cops let another massive error pass them by. Someone had to pack that bag, there was definitely evidence in it. The footprint in Pat's blood should have helped once they had persons of interest.

As I think of more I will post again but feel free to ask me anything. I'm not afraid of anything when it comes to this subject matter, I might get emotional and tear up but I can't deny Pat like I did before I moved out. That's some of the hardest thing I regret, neglecting him as I did..... I'll never forgive myself for that, ever!

LE= Law Enforcement
It would be interesting to know if everyone that was in the home on the 31st/at the party was questioned. Was it a small party of a few close friends, or were there others in the home during the party that may not have normally associated with Pat?

Was Pat’s phone or any of the computer equipment ever recovered?

It may be of value if you could post a link to any public social media pages Pat may have had, and the memorial site you created.

LE is Websleuths shorthand for Law Enforcement/police.
MSM is short for mainstream media - meaning well-established local/national/international news outlets.

HERE is a link to a long list of other WS lingo:
Websleuths Lingo
Hope that helps!

Nope no communication with LE at all except the grueling interview with Detective Waters. It was very intense. More than a few times I was enraged enough that I wanted to attack him due to his interview tactics. But I restrained myself.

I'm trying to reestablish communication with his friends. I've actually chatted with one on FB. Sorry I can't speak to party, it would be purely speculation on my part.

None of the stuff taken was ever recovered to the best of my knowledge.

To be honest I don't think the Detective talked to all but a small group of Pats friends. There a lot of people Pats age in the neighborhood, I talked to more than a few and they told me the police never interviewed them. They knew Pat and were on a cordial basis with him. Pat had 5 people in his click. One of which I've briefly chatted with on FB messenger. He's the one I'm trying to initially establish contact with.

At best Detective Waters probably talked to a handful of Pats friends. Most of them were not to fond of police.

I'm having trouble copying the link to his VM I made for him. I have a hard link in my Brower on my chromebook, once I figure out how to copy it I'll post it here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back