Identified! TX - Pecos, WhtFem, 17-20, UP13480, in motel swimming pool Jul'66 - Jolaine Hemmy

She was 17. Age of consent in 1966 was 18 in both, Texas and Kansas.
The guy knew he was doing at least one criminal act (excluding possible abduction and leaving the accident scene). He got away with it and probably moved on to the next young woman... whoa.

Like everyone else, I am absolutely thrilled that this young lady has her name back. Othram, your work is beyond fantastic! It seems like a DNA snowball is picking up speed going downhill picking up all the unknown people who have languished for years without a name.

I hope that family members get some measure of peace knowing what happened to their loved one. And although knowing about their deaths must make their absence all the more tragic tomorrow morning they won't wake up wondering. They'll know.

Like everyone else, I am absolutely thrilled that this young lady has her name back. Othram, your work is beyond fantastic! It seems like a DNA snowball is picking up speed going downhill picking up all the unknown people who have languished for years without a name.

I hope that family members get some measure of peace knowing what happened to their loved one. And although knowing about their deaths must make their absence all the more tragic tomorrow morning they won't wake up wondering. They'll know.

We are getting faster and faster at the process, as we iteratively improve each step. Expect lots more news this year!

The family in this case was very happy. They never stopped looking for her, reported her missing immediately. Arrangements are being made to transfer the body back to her family in Kansas. All around, its the best possible outcome. Her siblings are pushing 70s and older. We were running out of time to get them answers.

7850f674-5a16-11eb-91f2-0242c0a82003.jpg

After 55 years, Pecos Jane Doe is Identified!
rbbm.
''Othram reached out to the Pecos Police Department in early 2020 to help identify the woman using advanced DNA testing. The laboratory work was funded mostly by Pecos Police Department, with a supplementary crowdfund established through DNASolves. Skeletal remains were brought to Othram in August 2020 and work on the case began, first to develop a DNA extract from the bone, and then to construct a DNA profile using Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing®.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children provided support and resources to faciliate an identification. First, NCMEC had produced an artistic sketch of what the woman might have looked like. Later, after successful DNA testing, they coordinated the genealogical research, securing the services of Innovative Forensic, who generously donated the time and resources to work family trees and produce a candidate lead. Pecos Police Department confirmed the lead through DNA testing of a close relative, confirming the identity of Pecos Jane Doe as Jolaine Hemmy.

Jolaine was 17 years old in 1966, working at a drive-in diner in Kansas City, Kansas. She abruptly vanished one day and didn't pick up her last paycheck. Her family reported her missing and worked hard to find out where she had gone and despite tremendous efforts by family and law enforcement, they were unable to find her. At least one family member remembers a man that took particular interest in Jolaine around the time of her disappearance, but little is known about him. Pecos Police Department is continuing to investigate. If anyone has information about Jolaine Hemmy, her disappearance, or the man that she was last seen with, please contact the Pecos Police Department at 432-445-4911 attention Cpl. Felix Salcido.''

Jolaine. That’s her name. And my oh my what big brown eyes she indeed had! Such a beauty. Her photo literally took my breath away.

There will never be enough “thank you”s to Othram and everyone else involved in her identification! I’m so happy she can be reunited with her family again.

I have tears in my eyes. She was so beautiful, she had so much left in life to live and experience. The NCMEC recon looks a fair bit like her, especially the eyes. I'm so glad your family will no longer have the shadow of your disappearance hanging over them, and they can put you to rest. I wonder how many of her siblings are still alive?

I have tears in my eyes. She was so beautiful, she had so much left in life to live and experience. The NCMEC recon looks a fair bit like her, especially the eyes. I'm so glad your family will no longer have the shadow of your disappearance hanging over them, and they can put you to rest. I wonder how many of her siblings are still alive?
9 or 10, I believe 9. It's mentioned in the press conference near the end I think.

rbbm.
Missing Salina Teen ID’d as “Pecos Jane Doe”
''After Hemmy was pulled from the pool, she was rushed to a nearby hospital by ambulance where she was pronounced deceased. Her male companion checked out of the motel, taking their registration card with him and was never seen again. It is believed he acted out of fear; he left driving a 1963 Sedan.

Hemmy’s male companion has not been conclusively identified. They may have used the name of a Marine stationed in North Carolina, whose connection to the pair remains unclear.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle
Back