TX - Police respond to reports of shooter at Santa Fe High School, 18 May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thoughts Rose. Here's more info on that idea:

Gun Dogs: The rise of firearms-sniffing K-9s

Great article... Enelram.

Wondering if a dog, beloved by so many kids, non threatening might be of service not only on the comforting front, but on the guard gun/bomb front?

Both are needed, IMO.

I saw an amazing documentary on a dog's capabilities.

--Scent miles away. It's astonishing in their training to find the living in a catastrophe. Equally, with bombs.

I've worked in a few offices with resident dogs and I can testify to the unbridled happiness of being greeted by a wagging tail first thing in the morning. There is nothing like it. --Little Fluffy, or Wolfy, makes your day.

Maybe kids need both. Guard and comfort.

My father and I raised German Shepherd dogs, and trained them for personal protection.

I have always said that dogs should be trained to guard schools, malls, theatres, etc.

When trained well, they can detect, disarm and hold.

They must be bred well and be of SOUND mind! Very important if you want to trust the dog to be safe around the public, yet perform his/her duties at their optimum level.

Just my opinion.

My father and I raised German Shepherd dogs, and trained them for personal protection.

I have always said that dogs should be trained to guard schools, malls, theatres, etc.

They must be bred well and be of SOUND mind! Very important if you want to trust the dog to be safe around the public, yet perform his/her duties at their optimum level.

Just my opinion.

And the dog would be the first victim.

Not necessarily at all.

As stated, they can detect firearms from a great distance. So before the shooter even gets near or enters the building.

Also, if trained to do so, and trained well, they can disarm and attack without harm to themselves.

NOT saying that it won’t ever happen, but if trained well, the odds are in the dogs favor.

Add a second dog, and that adds to the success of taking him down.

Plus, there is the fear of dogs factor to the perp.

And the surprise factor. Just the sound of a growling dog would make most run like hell. Do exactly the intuitively opposite. Good chance they'd be chased?

Last edited:

Just my opinion.

Great points, DianaElaine. I have a 16 yr. old (yes, 16) German Shepherd who has guarded my farm from bears, intruders and traveled in my car with me wherever I went.
She's an absolute sweetheart, well socialized, but the intimidation factor from the public astounds me.
These dogs, with a good mind, are worth a million times their weight in guard work.
Wish I could have a clone of her as she's in her declining stage. Sigh.

Having dogs in schools is a liability issue. A lot of people are afraid of dogs, and not all dogs are well behaved. There are also people who are allergic to dogs.

Having dogs in schools is a liability issue. A lot of people are afraid of dogs, and not all dogs are well behaved. There are also people who are allergic to dogs.

Well trained dogs of sound mind, are VERY well behaved!

The fear of dogs factor is an issue which could be covered by having the dogs located outside. Better chance of them smelling, seeing, and stopping the shooter before he enters the school.

Allergies are a bigger issue, but again, the dogs kept outside would eliminate much of the problem.

At least it’s a start of a solution.

Best 3 dogs to choose:

German Shepherd

Rottweiler

Doberman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors