TX - Police shoot unarmed Lyndo Jones twice, Mesquite, Nov 2017 *Retried from Mistrial*

Hung Jury in Mesquite Officer Shooting Trial

Hung Jury, Mistrial

Wiley's attorney told NBC 5 the jury was deadlocked at 8-4, in favor of a Not Guilty verdict.

"It is disappointing that a Dallas County jury given the facts, given this video, it's clear that what was done against Mr. Jones was a violation of his civil rights, was a violation against the Constitution, was far beyond what a police officer should be doing," said attorney Lee Merritt. "We have a long way to go if a jury can't automatically come back with a guilty verdict for this officer. But we will continue to push until we get there."

Hung Jury in Mesquite Officer Shooting Trial

Hung Jury, Mistrial

Wiley's attorney told NBC 5 the jury was deadlocked at 8-4, in favor of a Not Guilty verdict.

"It is disappointing that a Dallas County jury given the facts, given this video, it's clear that what was done against Mr. Jones was a violation of his civil rights, was a violation against the Constitution, was far beyond what a police officer should be doing," said attorney Lee Merritt. "We have a long way to go if a jury can't automatically come back with a guilty verdict for this officer. But we will continue to push until we get there."

Sounds like they're going to try him again. Still disappointed the jury was hung.

What struck me as odd was the very little coverage of prosecution's cross examination of Wiley. What little I did find published appears to be soft ball and not how I would have expected them to shred him.

8-4 in favor of acquitting, I'd rather have the mistrial and was thinking it would be the other way around with no more than 4 refusing to find him guilty. Perhaps next time maybe the proceedings will be more open and there will be no kid gloves worn by the prosecution.

They know how to convince even a moderate right-leaning jury to convict. I'm just pretty sure they just might afraid politically to ask the right questions and make the right arguments which would forever make them enemies of the police associations.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they got some clear warning type messages from interested parties the night before they cross-examined Wiley.

Sounds like they're going to try him again. Still disappointed the jury was hung.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back