TX - Pregnant woman shocked with Taser outside Academy store, Houston, Harris County, 4 Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by cybervampira, Jan 8, 2019.

1. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

Are you saying that you hope she isn't compensated for damages? I think that if harsh or excessive force was used, or there was racial bias in tasering her, then she should be entitled to compensation. Otherwise, it sends a message that tasering heavily pregnant minority women who are not at risk of injuring anyone, is normal police work.

2. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

It would also send a message that you can get a payday out of behaving badly when accosted for shoplifting.

3. SugarQueen

SugarQueen Well-Known Member

This article has more info. The officer says she was not initially aware the woman was pregnant.
    Note that it says the woman refused to go inside and speak with the officer, hit the officer in the head with her purse, and after she was subdued she was found to have $70.00 in stolen clothing. I don’t know how/ where to look for previous arrests but there are rumors that she has quite a few.

ETA: because this woman is pregnant I hate that she was tased. I hate that a supposedly grown up, very pregnant woman is behaving in a way that puts her in this situation.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Laughing, scmom, cybervampira and 3 others like this.
  4. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

This is interesting, especially that this is Texas.

Another officer, Amber Guyger, told a man to raise his arms, he didn't do it fast enough for her, so she shot him. The man had been sleeping in his own apartment.

How long did she allow him to understand what she was saying? We don't know. But the expectation of immediate response to an order, or shoot to kill. There is a problem with training there.

cybervampira, musicaljoke and Forpsy like this.
  5. markiemapes

markiemapes Member

Our country is going hell in a handbasket. We are villainizing those trying to protect us while victimizing those that are performing criminal acts. This is ridiculous. She was stealing from a store. The police came and were assaulted and they retaliated with force to subdue the situation. The only victim is the unborn child. However, the police are not responsible for the outcome of the unborn child, the mother is.

6. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone is villainizing LE. But using a taser against an unarmed woman? Or stunning an 11-year-old with a taser? Aren‘t cops in training to be able to subdue someone without using excessive force?

Maybe I‘m irritated because I’m European. Here, cops do have tasers, but they would be slammed if they used a taser unless their life was in danger. A cop assaulted with a handbag? Lol. Come on, they have jiu-jitsu training and all that, it would take them 2 seconds to subdue that woman ”softly”.

mickey2942, Laughing and MsFacetious like this.