Trista Hamsmith recently shared her daughter Reese’s story on Instagram. According to the post, Reese swallowed a remote control battery last October. The tiny button battery reportedly burnt a hole in the toddler’s esophagus, ultimately resulting in her death in December. 2 months ago today I was able to hold you for the last time. It hurts like no pain I can explain. I wish that I could wake up and this nightmare would be over but the ugly reality is that I won’t get that. Here is to you ReRe. You are missed. You are loved. You are perfection. Enjoy every single second of the beauty you are in Don’t forget that we have opened an insta. Reese’s Purpose please follow! Hamsmith says Reese first experienced wheezing, congestion and lethargy last October. Her pediatrician believed she had croup, as the symptoms are very similar, and gave her a steroid shot. The doctor told the family to return if Reese’s condition worsened. After returning home, Hamsmith reportedly realized the battery was missing from their remote control and rushed her child to the emergency room. The hospital conducted an x-ray which confirmed the battery was in Reese’s throat. She underwent emergency surgery to remove the object. “There was a hole burned through her trachea and through her esophagus,” Hamsmith told People Magazine. “When that tunnel formed, it was allowing air to go where it didn’t need to be. Food and drinks also went where they didn’t need to go.” Reese was readmitted to the hospital, according to her mother. She received a gastronomy tube, was placed on a ventilator, and underwent multiple surgeries, although none proved successful. Reese passed away on December 17. “Button battery ingestion is so much more common than people realize,” she told People. She also claims that in the past year, emergency room doctors have seen a 93% increase in button battery-related injuries among young children. Mom issues warning after 17-month-old daughter swallows button battery, dies *I didn’t know where to put this thread. I thought about putting it in the spotlight on children forum. 93% increase is alarming.