TX TX - Richard Barnett, 42, Galveston County, 3 April 1982

Discussion in '1980's Missing' started by tifflee, Dec 11, 2011.

1. tifflee

tifflee Member

Richard Lloyd Barnett on...

NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9608/
    Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ard_lloyd.html
    Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4386dmtx.html

The Doe Network:
    Case File 4386DMTX

[​IMG]

Richard Lloyd Barnett
    Missing since April 3, 1982 from Galveston County, Texas
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

• Age at Time of Disappearance: 42 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 72-74"; 200-240 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Black hair; brown eyes.
    • Marks, Scars: Scars on legs. Tattoos on his forearms and upper arm.
    • AKA: Rick

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Barnett was arrested on April 3, 1982, and released on April 5th. He made one phone call and did not leave a message.
    He was never seen or heard from again.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Galveston County Sheriff's Department
    409-766-2330

Agency Case Number: 1100000464
    Source Information:
    Namus

2. Loading...

3. tifflee

tifflee Member

Richard is currently being discussed as a possible comparison to a UID in Galveston County, TX in this thread: FL FL - White Male - Hit by tractor trailer on I-10 - April 1983 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community.

I am starting this thread so his family can continue adding details to his disappearance and forum members can keep discussing. Quotes from the other thread are pasted below to add color to his case profile here.

4. syocum

syocum New Member

In the past yes he did leave for periods of time, but he hadn't in the last 8 years. But we just don't know if he did this time....If anyone else has any ideas please let me know, I appreciate any help..

5. tifflee

tifflee Member

Thanks for the clarification, syocum! I truly hope your family can find out what happened to your father.

I did a search for UIDs with mouse tattoos, just in case the describer wasn't sure if it was a Mickey Mouse or there were misspellings (e.g., Mickey, Micky), but only came up with two in NamUs.

A few more questions when you have a moment.

How recent is the photograph of your father in his online profiles where he is holding a child? Is it from 1982 when he disappeared?

It would definitely be helpful to know more details about what the family remembers of his tattoos. I know dental records might be all but impossible to get, but does anyone remember if he had any unique dentals, or possibly wore dentures?

I am sorry it has been so hard to track down vital records across states. I did hear from the Galveston Sheriff's Department that they are waiting for Richard's DNA to be run through CODIS so it would be great if you can update if something comes of that, or doesn't.

6. syocum

syocum New Member

tifflee,
    The picture provided is about 1968/1969 and I am the child in the picture with him. We don't have any recent photos, the galveston sherriffs office may have one from when he was arrested I am not sure. My brother knows more about his appearance at the time he went missing. I know that my brother signed up for this site also, I will see if I can get him to join in on our conversations. He works a lot so its hard for him to find time sometimes. I do know he was balding on top and was heavier than the picture. I am not sure about the teeth, but will see if I can find out.

7. tifflee

tifflee Member

Pasted from this thread: FL FL - White Male - Hit by tractor trailer on I-10 - April 1983 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

8. tifflee

tifflee Member

syocum, you may want to contact the Charley Project administrator and have her update the date of the photograph. Right now, it is listed as "circa 1982." You can find her email under "Contact Me" on the homepage: http://www.charleyproject.org/.

I think as details become available, you should definitely consider asking for the Doe Network and Charley Project profiles to be updated as both sites seem to get a lot of foot traffic.

9. syocum

syocum New Member

10. romanbarnett

romanbarnett New Member

First of all let me thank everyone for their concern and interest in our story. I was there April 3rd. 1982 when my Father was arrested and that is the last we have seen from him.
    Capt Barry Cook has been a big help in trying to locate him. We first took my DNA and sent it to UNT for a possible match, No luck, we then got Shannon's and we are still waiting on that. Our DNA is the same so not sure what might come of that.

I did not think we were going to have a match with this person from Florida due to his Height and the Tattoos but I do thank everyone involved for their efforts. Especially
    Capt Barry Cook who has been wonderful in this and is our Hub for information collection I did think with his ability as a Law Enforcement agent we would have more information by now but the fact that he is the only Person In the System who has gone to such lengths and still working on this we are truly blessed to have him in our search.
    I again thank everyone for keeping this case open and active as this I hope will bring an end to our search for Our Dad who without so many people would not be here and he is dearly missed.
    Richard Lloyd Barnett II

11. tifflee

tifflee Member

syocum and romanbarnett: Any ideas on if your father wore dentures at the time of his disappearance?

Also, any ideas on when your grandmother might have heard (via possible police report) that he was in a drunk driving accident in New Mexico? Was this the same year as he disappeared or did it seem to be a while after?

12. kerickson6964

kerickson6964 New Member

I am Richards other daughter. and I do not know on the dentures. The accident date is unknown. It would have to be after april 1982. We were told the information via a step brother who said that when I gave her his social security she had his uncle run it. My sister tried for a death cert there. None exists