TX TX - Samantha Broberg, 33, missing from Carnival cruise ship, 13 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all in the news.

The ship reported that a surveillance video showed a woman falling overboard about 2 a.m. Friday

From the photos it appears she went overboard on the Panorama deck, one deck up from Lido (pool deck), I see some sort of extended ledge off the balcony rail?

34266C6800000578-3590089-image-m-14_1463204099257.jpg
34266C6000000578-3590089-image-m-13_1463204073065.jpg

I haven't been on that particular ship, but what you're referencing appears to be a steel mounting for exterior ship lighting. There are huge lights flanking the port and starboard sides of the ship. The powerful beams can illuminate the exterior of the ship as well as water surrounding the vessel. I'd compare the lights to ballpark lighting for night games.

As I understand it, you can't fall off a cruise ship.

You can jump off, or be thrown off, but you can't fall off.

I'm guessing this woman jumped off.
Agree, just to add to the ways you can fall off a ship: people have pulled chairs up to the railings, stood on the chair, lost balance and went over the rail and some have fallen after climbing up and sitting on the railing and falling. Both of the above scenarios usually involve intoxication.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

Have you ever been on a commercial cruise? I'm sorry to seem insistent, but a regular passenger can not slip and fall off a commercial cruise ship accidentally after a crew member "scrubs the decks".
I've been on a few cruises, last one was in February. The rail is chest high. No way you can fall over the rail without hoisting yourself up far enough for your upper body from the waist up is above the rail and your feet are off the deck. You would have to be seven feet tall to have the major weight of your body so far over the rail that you would fall over.

Agree.
On the media using the word "fell" , I've seen media reports that describe a person as having "fallen" from e.g. a bridge even when there's cctv or LE witnesses that make it clear the person went over from the bridge purposefully and voluntarily. The media is given guidance on how to report on suicides and I think this is where the use of "fell" comes from, but it can be misleading, because for many readers "fell" implies accidental. JMO
I'm thinking that maybe the security video did not catch her going overboard but caught a shot of her "falling" down the side of the ship.

Why would she hoist herself up to sit on railing? Sadly, I think it was an intentional fall. Jmo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes i came across it too when reading about the Diane Brimble case and also Amy Bradleys case. www.cruiseshipdeaths.com/

That seems like an awfully long time to wait before contacting the coast guard imo. Is that normal procedure?

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

It sounds like they were making sure she wasn't on the ship first.

The cold reality of 'life goes on' captured in a picture... Other passengers trying to soak up some rays while a crew is looking for evidence when Samantha went missing. No judgment, only wanting to state an observation.

Ok that make sense. That's embarrassing. Thank you [emoji5]

No, don't be embarrassed. Even on cruise related forums, regular cruisers have lots of automatic questions when there's a "man overboard" situation. The most frequent one is "why didn't they stop the ship immediately and turn around!". In many cases they DO, it's just that a gigantic cruise ship cannot stop on a dime and pull a u-turn, so passengers on board don't sense the ship decelerating as quickly as they think it should. (Not relevant in this case--it was a long time before anyone knew she was missing. But in other situations, people have seen the jumper, and the ship DOES stop immediately (as fast as it CAN stop) and deploy rescue craft. Some of the procedures are interesting. For example, if you happen to see someone overboard, you DO NOT MOVE, you stand there and keep eyes ON them in the water and yell for help.)

Cruise ships also frequently rescue stranded refugees. Sadly they have to return them to (most often) Cuba, but I suppose better than dying at sea on a homemade raft.

The cold reality of 'life goes on' captured in a picture... Other passengers trying to soak up some rays while a crew is looking for evidence when Samantha went missing. No judgment, only wanting to state an observation.

I've heard many times that the mood on board is decidedly somber after a suicide or other man overboard situation, but obviously some people are cold as ice and just want to have their vacation. (People in that pic don't look like they're partying. But you can see how the rail is chest high for the women.)

I feel like Carnival handled this situation well. They promptly posted photos of the missing woman and were forthcoming about the evidence from the surveillance videos. This contrasts with some other notable cases of people who have gone missing from cruise ships. Think of the nightmare for her family and friends that has been avoided by releasing what they know.

Why would she hoist herself up to sit on railing? Sadly, I think it was an intentional fall. Jmo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Could be, but since it was backwards, I tend to think not. Given that the fall occurred at 2am on Friday, poor judgement involving too much alcohol definitely could've been a factor - like, "Ooh, I'm going to sit up here!" type thing! Either way, I think too much time and distance has passed for them to be able to find her and this will not have a happy ending.

Hi Kittybunny

Is there any info about the male companion she was with on the cruise? Brother, friend, bf?

Do we know if she and KB were separated?

I'm sure if someone was with her and she went overboard, they would have alerted crew immediately.

It seems as if she may have been alone (providing there was no crime here).

Only because I don't think it was until the next day that they noticed she was missing (perhaps her cabin mate woke up and noticed she was missing?)

I don't know the whole details but I believe it was hours after 2 a.m. that crews were advised of her missing.

__

Carnival says video shows Broberg climbing up and sitting on a railing on the 10th floor of the ship, then falling over backward into the Gulf at 3 a.m. Friday. However she was not reported missing by her companions for several hours and the Coast Guard did not start looking for Broberg until 15 hours after she fell overboard.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/05/16/cruise-ship-where-arlington-mom-went-overboard-returns/

No, don't be embarrassed. Even on cruise related forums, regular cruisers have lots of automatic questions when there's a "man overboard" situation. The most frequent one is "why didn't they stop the ship immediately and turn around!". In many cases they DO, it's just that a gigantic cruise ship cannot stop on a dime and pull a u-turn, so passengers on board don't sense the ship decelerating as quickly as they think it should. (Not relevant in this case--it was a long time before anyone knew she was missing. But in other situations, people have seen the jumper, and the ship DOES stop immediately (as fast as it CAN stop) and deploy rescue craft. Some of the procedures are interesting. For example, if you happen to see someone overboard, you DO NOT MOVE, you stand there and keep eyes ON them in the water and yell for help.)

Cruise ships also frequently rescue stranded refugees. Sadly they have to return them to (most often) Cuba, but I suppose better than dying at sea on a homemade raft.
I have never been on a cruise. That is incredibly scary. They are covering it on HLN right now. I can't imagine the terror she felt. Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. RIP. Samantha. Do they normally do a recovery search at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member