TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in jail cell, Waller County, 13 July 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if you are black, you can die at the hands of a police officer for not using your turn signals. You understand that 100% of all drivers don't use turn signals at some point, right?

She still broke the law, no matter what the rest of the drivers do. And she did not die at the hands of that police officer. I am not excusing the officers actions, but nor does she get a pass for her actions. JMHO. No matter what the race of either.

DH and I watched CNN coverage of this case last night. The video was shown repeatedly, and it appeared to us that Bland was unsteady on her feet when she exited her vehicle. Toxicology reports are going to be important. :moo:

DH and I watched CNN coverage of this case last night. The video was shown repeatedly, and it appeared to us that Bland was unsteady on her feet when she exited her vehicle. Toxicology reports are going to be important. :moo:

Did she say she was epileptic ?
Toward the end of video.
Is that what she says?

JMO

Chalk me up to one that truly hasn't made up my mind, as to what happened in that jail cell. I'm not excusing nor condemning anyone at this point.

Chalk me up to one that truly hasn't made up my mind, as to what happened in that jail cell. I'm not excusing nor condemning anyone at this point.

ITA. There are many of us who just want the truth and justice. Hopefully the videos will tell the tale.

Did she say she was epileptic ?
Toward the end of video.
Is that what she says?

JMO

I didn't catch it but will take your word for it that she said this. In that case:

Driver Information By State

Every state regulates driver's license eligibility of persons with certain medical conditions. The most common requirement for people with epilepsy is that they be seizure free for a specific period of time and submit a physician's evaluation of their ability to drive safely. Another common requirement is the periodic submission of medical reports, in some states for a specified period of time and in others for as long as the person remains licensed...

https://www.epilepsy.com/driving-laws

Imo, this officer passively-aggressively baited Ms Bland - looking for trouble - and found it. Fwiw, here is how I see and hear the 52:12 video in brackets.

2:51 - Officer - What's wrong? (Giving her the opportunity to speak - she does not).
3:36 - Officer - Are you OK? (Further baiting her to speak).

At no time does the officer mention running a stop sign contrary to a previous post(s). Only a lane change without signalling.

8:47 - Officer - You OK? (Baiting again - trying to get her to speak. He then further baits her at this point with) - You seem irritated.
Ms Bland replies with what is irritating her - as requested.

9:10 Ms Bland is finished with what is irritating her - Officer - Are you done? Ms Bland explains well, you asked.

9:19 Officer - Do you mind putting your cigarette out? She questions the veracity of that request, as she should unless it is a crime in Texas.

Now he wants her out of the car. Nothing of significance has taken place so far.

[video=youtube;CuPvDMN73hQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuPvDMN73hQ[/video]

Unable to watch the rest right now - to irritating and aggravating to watch the arrest imo. Ms Bland was provoked imo.

Wonder what the female officer has to say about the arrest of Bland?

<modsnip>

Anyway...I just learned of this case today - I watched the video and really believe that the cop escalated the situation. Why a cop would be annoyed because a driver is irritated and not engaging in conversation with him is beyond me. Years ago I was driving with my then 2-year-old daughter when I got pulled over. The cop asked me about my daughter, how old she was, her name, etc. I didn't respond because I wasn't on the roadside to have a conversation with a cop about my daughter - I was there because she had pulled me over to give me a ticket. When I didn't respond she copped (no pun intended) a real attitude and said if I couldn't be a little friendlier she could find other charges to add to my ticket. That of course escalated the situation. I was young then and naive and didn't realize till years later when my SO - ex law enforcement himself, told me I could have reported her to her PD.

Same SO has told me hair-raising stories about how badly cops treat people - sometimes deliberately escalating a situation so as to "get in it" with the people they are arresting. I was appalled.

Cops don't get as much respect these days because they don't show respect, IMO. You've got to give respect to get respect.

I think this cop baited Sandra Bland. Unfortunately she took the bait.

Hopefully we'll find out what really happened in that cell. But the blue brotherhood does protect itself first so if it wasn't suicide the truth may never come out.

Finally, I see that Bland was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a public servant, a felony charge, and was taken to the Waller County Jail.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-sandra-bland-footage-20150721-htmlstory.html
So she was not arrested for a minor traffic violation after all.

RSBM

Very strange what happened to the le dashcam --- wouldn't there be glitches in the audio as well as the video ? I understand if it was uploaded and not all of it loaded correctly ; it just seemed there'd be audio malfunctions as well.
Maybe some sleuthers here can explain how this works ?

And I wonder if Ms. Bland tried to beat up a cop after she was brought into the police station ? That would define the "...assaulting a public servant ..." part of this.

:moo:

RSBM

Sorry, just finished reading this.
Imo; you do not ever hit or kick a cop , ever. If you go looking for trouble, you will find it.
Was Ms. Bland just very angry , or on some substance ?
I guess tox reports will tell... although if tests are performed too late, much of it will have left the body.

:moo:

<modsnip>

My impression was that she was irritated she was being pulled over - I think I recall her saying as much to the cop.

I know the few times I have been pulled over - I haven't been in a very chatty mood with them. My SO, former law enforcement, used to tell each and every driver he ticketed to "have a nice day." I always figured it was really passive aggressive on his part. You've just ruined their day by giving them an expensive ticket (yes I know- they probably did something to deserve it) and you wish them a nice day?!

Officer BE's account (arrest affidavit) was written, and not questioned until after Sandra Bland's death, when media picked up the story and the video was viewed. The video clearly disputes BE's claim (both dash cam and the citizen-onlooker's video) that Sandra was violent toward him. Officer BE has been placed on administrative leave; not for/because of Sandra's death, but because his conduct, based on the video, is in question and because it likely also became evident at that time that his account of Sandra becoming violent was not backed up by the video.

MO ~

Again, it would be interesting to hear what the female officer has to say about what she observed. I've found nothing so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd