Found Deceased TX - Sharla Shaffer, 48, went on bike ride, bike found, Stephenville, 29 July 2022

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
A 48-year-old Stephenville woman has been missing since about 5:30 p.m. Friday after failing to return home after going on a bike ride.
3ead5d_563e1d05a24b4810b513a0a285081bfa~mv2.webp

The Erath County Sheriff’s Office is leading the investigation into the search for Sharla Shaffer's whereabouts.

Captain Ben Moore told Beneath the Surface News that Sharla’s family reported her missing on Friday evening.

“We have very minimal information at this point,” Captain Ben Moore said. “All we know is that she rode off on a bike and hasn’t been seen or heard from since.”

Deputies are out going door-to-door in an effort to locate her, Moore said.
3ead5d_2b47919bc231402db3ba6720fa54090d~mv2.webp

Four days after Sharla Shaffer pedaled off from her parent’s Erath County home on Friday evening – then seemingly vanished – the bicycle she left on mysteriously reappeared at the home Tuesday morning.

“Investigators have searched that location every day since Sharla disappeared and the bicycle was not there Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday,” Coates told Beneath the Surface News.

“We have searched every bit of the home place, including inside the home, and now we are focused on an adjoining piece of property,” Coates said.

When asked what he thinks might have happened to Sharla, Coates simply said, “I have no clue.”

He said the dogs initially picked up on her scent, but have not been able to track it.

Last edited:
The sheriff's office has issued a statement, including that Sharla left a note with her family. No details on what the note contained.

I suspect her bike was actually there the whole time, it was just overlooked.

Sharla is a Licensed Professional Counselor: Sharla Shaffer MS, LPC, NCC - Counselor - Granbury, TX

So (according to LE) she talked to her daughter and another person on late Friday evening, shortly before she was reported missing (by her mother?). Was she at home at that point (after the bike ride) and later left on foot without her phone?

Last edited:
Very little information out there regarding this missing case - and the Sheriff's department doesn't allow comments on facebook, so not even really any rumors/gossip to look into. Very odd situation...

I’m local to this and it’s really, really strange. By all accounts she is a lovely woman and great mother. The weather here is insanely hot down right now-being outside for long just isn’t an option. (It’s been over 100 degrees all week)

Log in or sign up to view - Erath sheriffs office FB page. I am posting the release they posted and wanted to make sure I included their FB link.

According to this press release she is a long distance runner and bicyclist. I am curious if she was training for something that involved biking and running so they thought she was biking, but she had came back with the bike and set off on foot running after that? I just find it odd she didn't carry her phone or any electronic device. I know some people just don't use much tech stuff, but long distance running and biking, I'd think she would want to track that somehow? Anyway, wanted to share as some info I didn't see before was in this release.

Attachments

• sharlamissing.jpg
    sharlamissing.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 92
The fact that they are asking the public not to check any outbuildings or dwellings on their properties- and rather to call LE to search them- is out of the ordinary (in my experience reading here)… and feels ominous. :(

The fact that they are asking the public not to check any outbuildings or dwellings on their properties- and rather to call LE to search them- is out of the ordinary (in my experience reading here)… and feels ominous. :(

Very strange.

How many outbuildings and sheds can LE look at?

And surely you only discover something once you go inside that shed or outbuilding?

LE could potentially have thousands of calls to say "Can you come around and check for me...?"

And more importantly, it makes Sharia sound like a dangerous person when the vibes LE are giving out are "Don't open your shed, it's not safe! We will!"

I could understand it if there was a mad ax murderer or an active shooter on the loose, but not this.

MOO.

I agree, I've never heard that before, except in cases of obviously armed and dangerous escapees. On the other hand, this may have nothing to do with herself - sometimes LE agencies just operate very unusually. It doesn't appear, on the surface, that there would be anything wrong with checking your own outbuildings for this missing woman. Odd.

Very strange.

How many outbuildings and sheds can LE look at?

And surely you only discover something once you go inside that shed or outbuilding?

LE could potentially have thousands of calls to say "Can you come around and check for me...?"

And more importantly, it makes Sharia sound like a dangerous person when the vibes LE are giving out are "Don't open your shed, it's not safe! We will!"

I could understand it if there was a mad ax murderer or an active shooter on the loose, but not this.

MOO.
I think it could be the opposite of what you are suggesting she could be found deceased inside a shed or outbuilding.

Last edited:
I agree, I've never heard that before, except in cases of obviously armed and dangerous escapees. On the other hand, this may have nothing to do with herself - sometimes LE agencies just operate very unusually. It doesn't appear, on the surface, that there would be anything wrong with checking your own outbuildings for this missing woman. Odd.
Could it be that if something was unusual and it or they was/were found inside of a shed or outbuilding then maybe LE wants investigate and keep the intergrity of the location. It may aid in the investigation?

Sounds like they feel she was going to self harm? Very odd at any rate.
This is what I thought reading the LE press release. Asking people not to check their own outbuildings ("under no circumstances" is pretty strong wording) but to call LE to do so, saying she left a note with family, and giving specific locations/roads to identify an area where she may be is telling, just based on my own thoughts reading about other cases here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back