Found Deceased TX - Sharla Shaffer, 48, went on bike ride, bike found, Stephenville, 29 July 2022

Any news on Sharla?
This 8/5 report is the latest I have seen. Others may know of a more recent update.

Sharla Shaffer, 48, was last seen on her Stephenville property on June 29 when speaking with her daughter, Erath County Sheriff Matt Coates said in a press release Tuesday.

A photo of Shaffer has not been provided by law enforcement.

According to Coates, Shaffer's property and adjacent properties were searched thoroughly by local and state law enforcement as well as Erath County EMS. So far, the search has yielded no evidence as to Shaffer's whereabouts, Coates said.

The property was searched by dogs from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and by drone over the weekend. Detailed searches outlining county roads in both Erath and Hood counties were also conducted.

According to @imstilla.grandma post # 57 on Monday, the Sheriff has suspended the search for Sharla. Is no one looking for this lady?

TX - TX - Sharla Shaffer, 48, went on bike ride, bike found, Stephenville, 29 July 2022
I want to know if she might have been stalked by a client who took actions further into abduction or worse. I haven't seen any discussion of this possibility.

Anyone who hangs out a therapy shingle has the potential to encounter stranger danger. Even in long-term therapy, clients really remain strangers.

If LE has explored this angle & come up empty or has evidence that completely rules it out (not shared with the public), I'd like to know.

SS just doesn't seem like a mother who would abandon her kids. And that is what has happened.

I think the Texas Rangers or FBI should get involved. In fact, an expanded criminal inquiry should have started after the 1st week. Why hasn't it?

JMO

Are the children's father, Sharla's former husband, in the picture as far as visitation and support of the son and daughter?
THIS ^^^.

It would be nice to know how her children are being cared for. What a terrible thing for them to experience!

Is the family not pushing for a larger criminal probe? And if not, why not? Every hour that passes is critical.

MOO

A mannequin? This is terrible.
View attachment 359330
This is a strange coincidence - I was just watching an episode of cold case files last night about an elderly couple abducted and murderered, and when they were found by a passerby, they thought they found a CPR dummy on the side of the road. I suppose it is more likely to most of our brains to think we found a mannequin rather than a body. :(

Anyway- this is obviously not the outcome we had been hoping for with Sharla. I’m so sorry to her family and friends, and hope they find peace in knowing she served her community well in her helping role.

This is a strange coincidence - I was just watching an episode of cold case files last night about an elderly couple abducted and murderered, and when they were found by a passerby, they thought they found a CPR dummy on the side of the road. I suppose it is more likely to most of our brains to think we found a mannequin rather than a body. :(

Anyway- this is obviously not the outcome we had been hoping for with Sharla. I’m so sorry to her family and friends, and hope they find peace in knowing she served her community well in her helping role.
So very, very sad, :(

179, 178 and 419 make a loop around the parents' house. 179 is the north and east sides.

I don't recall how many fences she'd have to cross to be on any given part of it, but most of us growing up had standing permission to shortcut across close neighbors' fields. Given her love of trail running, I'd not be surprised if she had a regular loop across the fields of some neighbors.

Ok, after a bit of measuring and pondering, 179 is about 5 miles total length. The part that forms the north and east sides of the loop around the Bramlett and various neighbors' properties ranges from a half mile to a mile and a quarter straight line distance from their house. From the house, down the driveway to 419, to 179, and then to the corner where it meets 178 is just over five miles.

From pretty much anywhere on 179, the shortest route home (and thus the fastest if one knows where the gates are or can easily pass the fences by climbing over or crawling under) would be a straight line across 1-3 properties. There are a few houses spread along the road, but in a couple of spots, home could be the easiest house to get to.

I'm certain she would be pretty familiar with a near-perfect ten mile out-and-back on county dirt roads that literally starts at the front door. I can't run ten miles, but I've sometimes done a 2-3 mile run just to burn off stress. Since she's done several marathons, I could see a ten mile being her stress reliever.

What I'm saying is, if the bike had a problem, or she just changed her mind about wanting to ride, I don't think it would be all that strange for her to just go for a run down 179. The full ten would have taken 90-120 minutes, depending on how hard she was pushing herself, so not really enough difference to warrant telling anyone the plan had changed.

I hope the medical examiner's report can shed some light on what happened from there, but I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in the official search efforts: each search was described in terms of the number of vehicles. (4x4s, ATV/UTVs, etc.) I've not heard any of them described in terms of number of people literally beating the bushes out to a reasonable distance, as would be needed to find someone who might have taken a shortcut through the fields on foot, trying to get home. Even more so, if they had any reason to believe she didn't want to be found, just looking from paths big enough to get a Polaris through isn't the way to search.

Seventeen mins. walking distance from her supposed starting point where her bike was found to property 179 is a short distance. Wasn't that area searched before and nohing found? Why the discrepancy (if there is a discrepency?)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back