Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #5 *Arrest*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by tlcya, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TXNurse77

TXNurse77 Member

Why does mom have a criminal attorney? Is that common in this type of case in the event he implicates her? I understand the separate family law attorneys because one or both could potentially be granted custody... but a preemptive criminal defense attorney? Again, may be status quo, please enlighten...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. MarisaS1985

MarisaS1985 Member

I honestly don't think you are in the minority, but until we hear anything official it's really not fair to treat any other party as anything more than a victim.

The part of me that has been a victim and been in a similar process with police and having things taken etc, I really can understand why a victim would shut down. I actually recall MYSELF storming out of the police station FURIOUS saying "if I am ever raped again the last people I call will be you" to the detective. Over the years my relationship with LE has become really good... but back when I had escaped and my mind was struggling between brainwashed victim and person wanting justice I was really all over the place and as a result can understand why a victim wouldn't want to or wouldn't be able to talk.

I am sure many people here have been victims and that's a motive for wanting justice for others, but I just wanted to give some added insight into what may be going on behind the scenes for any other victim. It can be REALLY hard to find your voice once you have lost it....

3. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Kindness matters - always

Theoretically, can Sini continue to refuse to speak to LE indefinitely without facing obstruction charges?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. Rocco

Rocco Well-Known Member

According to defense attorney Pete Schulte, who was interviewed today, yes she can.

5. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

Which leads me to two speculations. I *think* there is some law that says a wife can't be forced to testify against her spouse? Any legal-beagles here to help validate that? Second, she may be clammed up because she is afraid it will effect her citizenship? (Let alone jeopardize her freedom).

All speculation and opinion only

6. Rocco

Rocco Well-Known Member

Yes, he said that too--that she can't be forced to testify against him.

7. EA18G

EA18G Active Member

8. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science."- Liet Kynes

Just marking my spot and hoping for justice for this little girl !
    No matter what horrible things she may have suffered... bring them to light ; and may her abuser(s) /killer(s) face a lifetime of prison -- or the DP.

She was an innocent child ,and also a human being who did nothing to deserve her fate.

Going off to sit on my hands now......:censored:

9. Rocco

Rocco Well-Known Member

Pete Schulte also stated that WM didn't do himself any favors by going in to the PD with his second story.

10. MarisaS1985

MarisaS1985 Member

Yes (and no)

To my knowledge, she can refuse to be questioned or give any type of statement. It is her legal right, as it is every citizens right, especially if that statement would be lies or self-incriminating. So in that sense, YES she can continue to refuse without being charged.

The NO comes in because if they have enough evidence they can appeal to the courts to compel her to make a statement under oath. I am not sure if this is done before a grand jury or in a regular court setting, but when this does happen you often just hear the person say "I plead the fifth" over and over again.

IF someone or the evidence, implicates Sini and she is arrested, they can basically question her as much as they feel like as long as she is in custody. She can refuse to answer, but if she is in custody there is no one to stop LE from going to talk to her. In that case I BELIEVE her lawyers could have the place she is being held have law enforcement etc removed from her visitors list but I am not sure if there are legal steps to keeping LE away if she were to be in a jail.

If you think about it what she is doing is fairly smart in not going down to talk to them. Once you are down on their turf they can and often will keep people for hours and hours with "just a few more questions" and basically be detaining you in hopes you will talk. Though, I do think her council should set up a meeting with LE either at his office, or at a place she is comfortable, just so she an reiterate that she was in fact asleep and heard nothing... (or whatever her story initially was). Keeping it on her turf would mean that at any point she or her lawyers could say "that's all" and have LE leave

11. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

I have *zero* sympathy for this poor excuse of a human being, but I will say his attorney should just tell him to stop talking. He is making things much worse for himself. Then again....I guess I'm glad he is, in fact, making things worse for himself.

12. Margo/Mom

Margo/Mom Active Member

Anyone who becomes a naturalized US citizen must renounce any other citizenships. Dual US citizenships are, I believe, limited to situations like the child of American citizens born in another country.

13. Grouchymom

Grouchymom Verified Grouchymom

http://www.txcourts.gov/media/921665/tx-rules-of-evidence.pdf

Red bold by me to show exceptions to spousal privilege that would apply in this case

14. Margo/Mom

Margo/Mom Active Member

I think any time an agency has placement responsibilities and something like this happens there are a lot of people who get very nervous about accusations that they missed something that could have prevented the tragedy. There are also folks here who are willing to suggest that CPS should have done a better job in knowing that this could happen in this family. Maybe. Maybe not. Still--good time to review everything.

15. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

(Ana, I am speechless, too. I couldn't think of the right word until now when I saw your post..speechless. The last time I couldn't even type/post was Jessica R's over 5 years ago...throughout all the heartbreaking things I've seen here, I've still been able to at least post, and read...that arrest warrant you guys posted...that's got to be one of the most awful, heartbreaking, saddest, most disturbing things I've ever read in my life. I can't even talk. Nor do I want to. You guys know it takes a lot to shut me up. Thank you everyone for the updates, I am silently following along. Trying to keep it together over here, on the verge of balling my eyes out. I honestly might even have to step away from this one...it's just too much...but it's too late, I'm already here. No going back now. If little Sherin had to go whatever she had to go through, then surely I can manage this? I don't know, a special friend told me the other night that it's ok, even the strong have to take a break sometimes. Thanks for listening, please keep the msm coming...(so much for speechless lol...that's all I've got to say though really...that this one has hit me HARD. And is hitting harder with every word I read. It just gets worse and worse, if that's even possible!! Words fail me. Sorry Sherin sweetie love. You did not deserve this. You will never be forgotten. Love, Auntie Margarita.)

16. Rocco

Rocco Well-Known Member

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/dual-citizenship-allowed-naturalizing-us-citizens.html

''Nevertheless, U.S. practice, as upheld in various court decisions, is to allow dual citizenship. (You can see this on the U.S. State Department’s website, for example, where it explains that: “U.S. law does not . . . require a person to choose one citizenship or another.”)

The United States will not ask naturalizing citizens to take any steps to formally renounce the citizenship of their home country.''

17. RiceCasparr

RiceCasparr New Member

Not sure about this... I have a friend who is American but whose grandmother is Irish and mother is dual. She then applied for dual just because she could within Irish laws, as at the time it meant she could easily travel Europe and she would be studying abroad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

18. Margo/Mom

Margo/Mom Active Member

A person cannot be required to incriminate themselves. So there's that. I think there would be the possibility of subpoena, should LE have reason to believe that she knows something more than she has already said. That would attach some consequences to refusal to come in. And compel statements under oath, I do believe. However, she would have the option of "taking the fifth" (reference to 5th Amendment protection against self-incrimination) on any questions.

19. MarisaS1985

MarisaS1985 Member

20. CTHR

CTHR New Member

as in every event , hindsight is 20-20
    My daughter was a cps intake worker prior to becoming the supervisor for her department . Over and over , cases " slipped thru the cracks " or were assessed improperly . Ultimately children suffered. She eventually quit social work , not sure if being based in Cleveland was key to that decision , I know her memories still affect her .
    This precious little Childs demise has ripped my heart out . I am so very grateful her suffering is over , her beautiful smile and bright eyes won't be forgotten .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.