Found Safe TX - SS, 8, Fort Worth, kidnapped while walking w/mother, 18 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Tbone144, May 18, 2019.

1. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm all for LE. I always take food, water, drinks, etc. when these searches take place. I've searched locally for missing kids. I've never seen anything like this.

I am so glad, that the family statement made it clear the folks, private citizens found her.

This has made me more conscious of how important volunteering and being boots on the ground is, no matter the size of the city.

2. lucylulu

lucylulu Well-Known Member

Wow, great statement. I got goosebumps reading.... in a good way..

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2019
  3. blue22

blue22 Well-Known Member

Duplicate post :)

gitana1 likes this.
  4. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Yes, I'm with you. But when there are such crucial mistakes made, there needs to be accountability. Everyone here posting their disbelief and concern about how the case was handled have good reason to feel that way even those she was found alive.

The next kid might not be so lucky.

kkdj, abr, Cortne and 9 others like this.
  5. Ladylub

Ladylub Well-Known Member

While I am annoyed at how everything happened I hope they learn from where the mistakes were made. No way is it a shot at LE as this is not a normal everyday thing where you can monitor any foreseeable problems. With that said next time we might not be so lucky. We keep getting told different things as to why the alert didnt hit phones first it was the time, then it was no plate number and finally the fax issue. It might have been a combination of everything. Not sure if it really matters now what the issues were just as long as they make sure they learned from this and also help other LE agencies by showing where their faults lie. Heck even use this as a way to make changes to the Amber Alert itself if need be. The guidelines were set up yrs ago and might need to be updated.

PajamaSleuth, BrownRice, kkdj and 5 others like this.
  6. moonlessnight

moonlessnight Well-Known Member

the fact that she was calm indicates shock and/or the freeze/fawn part of the fight or flight response. In no way does this indicate she was unharmed. He had her too long.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2019
  7. flashy09

flashy09 Well-Known Member

Also she is an 8 yr old and it was 2 am. She must have been exhausted with everything she had been through.

I also wonder if the kidnapper told her to be quiet or he would kill/hurt her the first time the police were in the room and she remembered that when they came in the second time.

8. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Yes, there was a bunch of mistake made. Police going to his room and doing an observation and not finding her could have turned deadly if he decided to run off (I presume most perps would have). I also believe she was in the room at that time, hidden. Otherwise how did the witness see him with a girl? And did they really look for the car at that time? Seems unlikely he would have parked the car far away from the hotel. Thankfully he stayed put with the girl in the same hotel room. Again, I am pretty sure most perps would have taken off.

PajamaSleuth, abr and lucylulu like this.
  9. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

From what has been reported, it was the other way around. Girl matched SS' description. As far as I can tell he didn't open the door right away, I bet he hid her during that time.

"As authorities were working through the night to find Salem, a desk clerk at the WoodSpring Suites in Forest Hill had called local police to say a girl matching Salem's description was with a man in a third-floor room."
    Did Cops Miss a Chance to Rescue Kidnapped 8-Year-Old Sooner?

Flurries, BrownRice, kkdj and 2 others like this.
  10. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

Ah ok first time I've seen it reported that way.

11. mpnola

mpnola Well-Known Member

And regardless.... if he was reported being seen with "A" young girl, no ot "the" young girl, but you get to the room and there is NO young girl
    ... well, we still have a problem that requires not closing the call.

12. MsFacetious

We have to remember that the tipster didn't know what room they were in.
    So the receptionist guessed it would be this guy in this room.
    So the cops show up and check. No girl.
    This could easily be a mistake on the part of either of the reporting parties.
    It's not enough to justify a warrant, unfortunately.

We have to remember how inaccurate sightings are in missing cases. This one appears to have been correct... but it wasn't definitive enough to get a warrant on. I'm just glad it turned out in the end.

kkdj and katydid23 like this.
  13. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

Yes. SS is very lucky to be alive imo. I really think he would have killed her given more time. I wonder how long he rented the room. Was he checking out in the morning or did he get it for a few days?

lucylulu and Blondie in Spokane like this.
  14. mistivon

mistivon Verified Insider - Maricela Garcia

They are learning

After Fort Worth kidnapping, changes to Amber Alert process coming

City Councilmember Ann Zadeh and Interim Police Chief Ed Kraus were on hand, as was Lt. Robinson. Robinson explained the requirements of an Amber Alert and went step-by-step through what happened on May 18th.

That night, Amber Alert information was shared through social media outlets and through press releases to local news organizations like WFAA. However, no cell phone alert was sent out and the emergency broadcast system was not activated because of the problem with that fax machine.

Neighborhood Where Girl Was Kidnapped Meets Seeking Answers

Where do we go from here?" Keith said.

The city is looking into starting a new app where citizens could get messages and share information about cases like this.

They're also urging people to register their security cameras with the city to access video faster, and they're encouring more volunteers to sign up for citizens on patrol, to act as an extra set of eyes for police.

Fort Worth police have also spoken with people from the regional and state Amber Alert systems about possible changes, like to the rule that they don't send phone text alerts between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.

15. blue22

blue22 Well-Known Member

16. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

misgrn, lucylulu, JDough and 2 others like this.
  17. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Exactly. This could have ended very badly for SS, thankfully it didn't. But next child might not be so lucky.

18. MsFacetious

19. PajamaSleuth

PajamaSleuth Well-Known Member

I am catching up on this so forgive me for bringing up the initial “search” of his hotel room again.... wouldn’t ‘exigent circumstances’ (whatever it’s called) cover them to do a more thorough search since they had reason to believe she was there and in danger?? IMO

20. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

I am not a lawyer so don't know. But if there was a witness who saw him with the girl, presumably they could have located that witness and one would think that should have been enough to get a warrant to search his room.

mpnola, misgrn, lucylulu and 2 others like this.