GUILTY TX - Stacey Stites, 19, found murdered, Bastrop, 23 April 1996 *Appeal denied*

At least he has a few more months now.

After it is shown that just one person has been accidentally executed anyone should say "enough with executions for now".

I remember the case of that guy who was convicted of killing his children by setting a fire. Several months ago " the experts" finally admitted that their "expertise" was baloney they cooked up.

It's one thing when the experts alternate between this or that food being healthy, its healthy one year then unhealthy the next then its healthy again. Another thing when they say "trust us on this, we need to kill this guy because the velocity of spread of a fire equals...".

At this point the people who prosecuted the case are in full cya mode and they know that once he's in the ground the news coverage ends. Decent of the judge to give him 2 more months to throw legal paper around though.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/...hearing-set-for-death-row-inmate-rodne/njFkj/

I really have a problem when they deny DNA testing in these cases.

It seems to be a battle of wills rather than an interest in justice which motivated that. The timing of the request does make a person think that the defense kept that issue as one of their last aces to use before execution. The judge basically said 'I don't care if it's a valid issue or not. The fact that you are using it to delay the execution means you are being insubordinate'.

When people have power they want to get respect but they don't want to earn it. The judge is angry that his authority was undermined by mild sneakiness, so he threw a legal tantrum and said 'I'm the judge. I win."

In a few weeks he's going to get waken up by a guard whispering "The doctor will see you now".

He's probably going to say " But I didn't do it".

And the guard will get on the radio and say "Prisoner is not cooperating. Send the muscle team. It's vaccination time for this boy".

A few weeks after he gets the rusty needle the cop will confess that he really did do it. Prosecutors will decide not to pursue charges since the confession was not obtained properly and he did have a long history of service to the community.

A&E has a two hour special tonight @ 8 pm ct on the Rodney Reed case. My guess is that he will be portrayed as another innocent man being railroaded by the evil justice system.<modsnip>

This case is really frustrating, sad and disturbing. I really hope no more innocent victims are created by the true perpetrator of this crime. If Reed is innocent, which seems to be the case, it would be sick. I don't understand how people can stand by while someone takes the fall for something they haven't done.

A&E has a two hour special tonight @ 8 pm ct on the Rodney Reed case. My guess is that he will be portrayed as another innocent man being railroaded by the evil justice system.<modsnip>.

Two points.

If there is compelling evidence of his guilt you should at least post a link since you seem to suggest there is.
Also, absent that, the standard is supposed to be something like "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Considering that 3% to 5% of people jailed in America are factually innocent, that is according to experts, obviously the standard is orders of magnitude lower. But how low should it be? Where were you when the murder occurred?

Reasonable doubt can be raised in this case in a few sentences. Anyone can read a quick news version and have reasonable doubt. There either is compelling evidence that negates that skepticism, or there is not. So far I have not seen it.

My best guess is that there is <10% chance that he is guilty but ~100% chance that he made the mistake of being a black guy who was nailing the wife of a white cop. I don't support adultery but it's not something that should be fatal, except perhaps in the first moments it is discovered.

Two points.

If there is compelling evidence of his guilt you should at least post a link since you seem to suggest there is.
Also, absent that, the standard is supposed to be something like "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Considering that 3% to 5% of people jailed in America are factually innocent, that is according to experts, obviously the standard is orders of magnitude lower. But how low should it be? Where were you when the murder occurred?

Reasonable doubt can be raised in this case in a few sentences. Anyone can read a quick news version and have reasonable doubt. There either is compelling evidence that negates that skepticism, or there is not. So far I have not seen it.

My best guess is that there is <10% chance that he is guilty but ~100% chance that he made the mistake of being a black guy who was nailing the wife of a white cop. I don't support adultery but it's not something that should be fatal, except perhaps in the first moments it is discovered.

Since you want some facts, here's one, she wasn't married to a white cop as you stated.

One thing I can never understand about enthusiastic fans of the Death Penalty: Why are you so anxious for a person to be killed by the state, innocent or guilty? From some people, there seems to be a kind of blood lust for a death penalty to be carried out...

Those of us who live in non-DP states are glad to avoid the responsibility of having a killing committed in our name. I was seated (initially) in the penalty phase of the last execution carried out in my state, but they 'unseated' me when I opined that I knew the guy was guilty, but I could never vote for him to be killed.

Yes, plenty of the executed are guilty without a doubt. But life without possiblity of parole keeps the guilty and the (possibly) non guilty away from the public. It's cheaper (if that's important to you) to keep a person in prison for life than to finance him/her through endless appeals. And the survivors/families of the prisoner don't have to see his name and face in the paper for thirty or forty years. He's just another anonymous con.

This case has me torn.

Prosecutor and cops hiding the truth. So what's new? Or, it is just a coincidence that the girl is dating two serial rapists at the same time?

To make things easy, let's go ahead and execute Reed now. And then, have a different prosecutor pick up the case on Fennell. Charge him with the murder and execute him, too.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/30/us-usa-illinois-murder-innocence-idUSKBN0IJ21I20141030

Northwestern University journalism students instrumental in getting Anthony Porter freed from death row. Seems an investigator for the project got another man to falsely admit to the crime & Porter was released. The other man was convicted but has now claimed he falsely claimed to the crime & a judge freed him. This was the case that led to abolishing the death penalty in Illinois. I wonder if the NU students will admit their mistake? NOT.

You state all of the above as if it were fact, when you are merely listing claims of the prosecution. I honestly don't know who is right, but, as a rule, when a death row inmate claims to have falsely confessed, the pro-d.p. crowd screams, "Nobody would confess to a murder he didn't commit!"

At the very least we should note that private investigators do not have at their disposal anything like the coercive techniques available to LE.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back