GUILTY TX - Tanner Monk, 7, mauled to death by pit bulls, Breckenridge, 18 May 2008

To own a weapon you have to have a background check.....
I think to own a pitbull a person should have to pay dearly for it (thousands of dollars)but only after a background check has taken place, home has been inspected, then the person has to go thru some kind of pitbull learning class.
Then they can own a pitbull!

That would be great, but you will always have the irresponsible back yard puppy mill breeder. I'd like to jettison those guys also regardless of the breed.

Growing up, my mother's friend had pitbulls, the real ones, not just dogs that kind of looked like one. Pappy, he was a real pit bull. He fit every breed standard in appearance and he had all the typical breed personality traits. You know, like Petey. Friendly, playful, loving, loyal, and determined. He also had arthritis. In all his pain and misery he took all the kid lovin' he could get, and would still dive in the river to pull up the *exact* rock you threw in. He wouldn't come up to breathe until he had it. His owner never had to worry about him, he was a good dog in every sense of the term. Then Pappy died and he got Sarah. She was another dog all together. Stealth and petite, absolutely gorgeous, and dangerous. He didn't kid himself, he knew it, it started showing early. When he worked or had company she was locked in a large kennel with signs. He made all the kids, neighbors, and company aware of her. She spent her time alone with him in the house, on leash, or in his truck when he went somewhere. She was the possessive and territorial dog Pappy never was. Still good and loyal for her master, but so loyal she was a danger. He never messed around with her capabilities and she was never, ever given an opportunity to bite. That's what a good owner does, and it makes a difference.

All those owners who say the dog just snapped without warning, they lie. There's always something, some hint either in personality or in the current atmosphere to give warning. Be it an annoying child(pulling ears, etc), forming a pack with other dogs, food, noise, or pain, it's there, and it should be the flag for an owner to remove the dog from the situation even if the dog has never reacted in the situation prior.

Dogs being allowed to run free and form packs is one of the most dangerous things anybody can allow a dog to do, period.

I am trying to stay off this thread but I totally agree with this post. With any dog there are warning signs. If you take responsibility and not allow your dog the opportunity to bite someone then you are proven the responsible owner but there are so many out there they don't take that stance and then blame the dog when it gets out and bites or kills someone.

That would be great, but you will always have the irresponsible back yard puppy mill breeder. I'd like to jettison those guys also regardless of the breed.

Ah, jeez, don't get me started on what I could do to anyone who mistreats animals in ANY WAY!! :furious: :furious: :furious:

I am trying to stay off this thread but I totally agree with this post. With any dog there are warning signs. If you take responsibility and not allow your dog the opportunity to bite someone then you are proven the responsible owner but there are so many out there they don't take that stance and then blame the dog when it gets out and bites or kills someone.
I will third this.
As I have said my 4 yo boxer is a doll baby 99.9% of the time. She is good and sweet to everyone. But I have seen her growl twice. Not at people, but at other dogs. I have also seen her jump at the front door and bark intensely when the UPS man came up the walk. That is enough for me to know that I will never assume she is good with all dogs and that she would never bite. I assume this even though she has never bitten or rushed anyone she is always loving. I do not know why she growled at these dogs or why she suddenly barked at the same UPS man that comes all the time and that is the problem.
These are little things that could be easily shrugged off and I believe that is what many dog owners do when they say the dogs never displayed any aggressiveness. I also think most of these people MUST say the dog was never aggressive prior because otherwise they open themselves up to more liability. I am with Oblio and imthemom, people that say their dogs never showed any aggressiveness are probably fibbing. JMHO of course.

ETA: But I hear those Shorkie zu's are a real terror. :)

I think it's good that your boxer barks when UPS shows up!! But I also absolutely think there is a line between protectiveness and aggression. My dog has a distinct 'You don't live here' bark...very low, almost like a howl.

I am not worried if my dog growls at other dogs, unless it seems like a very mean growl. I visit dog parks and seems like all the dogs are growling all day long over something, nothing ever comes of it except for maybe a few barks.

I fell like lately people feel the need to defend dogs being dogs!! Yes, they bark and sometimes growl and mine will sometimes jump up on me, but big frickin' deal, my dog behaves in dog parks, we have no yard and he is never walked without a leash.

I won't be trading Peter in for a robot any time soon, and I am not afraid to say it :crazy:

I will third this.
As I have said my 4 yo boxer is a doll baby 99.9% of the time. She is good and sweet to everyone. But I have seen her growl twice. Not at people, but at other dogs. I have also seen her jump at the front door and bark intensely when the UPS man came up the walk. That is enough for me to know that I will never assume she is good with all dogs and that she would never bite. I assume this even though she has never bitten or rushed anyone she is always loving. I do not know why she growled at these dogs or why she suddenly barked at the same UPS man that comes all the time and that is the problem.
These are little things that could be easily shrugged off and I believe that is what many dog owners do when they say the dogs never displayed any aggressiveness. I also think most of these people MUST say the dog was never aggressive prior because otherwise they open themselves up to more liability. I am with Oblio and imthemom, people that say their dogs never showed any aggressiveness are probably fibbing. JMHO of course.

ETA: But I hear those Shorkie zu's are a real terror. :)

I know I better watch out. He actually is the one barking at our pit but only when he is on his tie out because he knows he can't reach him. He barks at him and then when Champ tries to sniff him he runs and hides under my feet.

I live in a very nice master planned community and we had an issue here with a vicious dog. The dog supposedly belonged to my neighbor's son, who couldn't have the dog where he lived (in retrospect, that probably meant that the dog was an "issue" elsewhere).

The hilarious thing about my neighborhood is that the HOA wants any house cats that are outside to be on leashes (lol :rolleyes:) because they kill birds and that upsets some homeowners. In the meantime, we had this dog on the prowl...I think some rules have changed since. :crazy:
Cats on leashes?Omigod.
Im trying to picture putting a leash on my cat.Yikes.
Seriously though in spite of what I said aboout the owners I certainly dont discount the breed's propensity for aggression.
You get any animal bred to emphasize the wrong tendencies for a couple of generations and theres going to be trouble.
I think a special(and bloody expensive) permit that binds the owner to acknowledge all types of liabilty and prohibits ownership to convicted felons that would be RETROACTIVE to include current owners would solve the problem without hurting the dogs as a whole one bit.

My niece has a cat who actually has been trained to walk on a leash; they don't mind if you start them young. Do to where my sister was living at the time, it was better to not just let them outside, so we had walked it on the leash around outside.

Cats on leashes?Omigod.
Im trying to picture putting a leash on my cat.Yikes.

You ought to try it...the reaction is quite hilarious. We got the lightest leahes we could find and 1 cat fell over- yes, fell over- when we put it on him. LOL. I draped a sock across his back once, too and he practically dragged his back legs when he walked. It was pathetic and funny at the same time. :) :(

My niece has a cat who actually has been trained to walk on a leash; they don't mind if you start them young. Do to where my sister was living at the time, it was better to not just let them outside, so we had walked it on the leash around outside.

Yeah, I think you would have to start them very young. As I said above, one acts like a house is on top of him and the other pouts and will just sit there and will NOT move. :waitasec::rolleyes:

From October 2008:

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/couple-found-guilty

A Breckenridge couple was found guilty Thursday by a Young County jury of charges in a dog attack that resulted in the death of Tanner Joshua Monk, 7, in Stephens County...

Smith and Watson were the first defendants to be tried under the "Lillian Stiles Law" passed by the state legislature in September 2007. The new law mandates increased jail time for dog owners who fail to reasonably secure their animals in incidents that cause bodily injury or death...

Deputy Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Marc Krouse testified the damage to Joshua was the worst he'd ever seen. Dr. Roger Metcalf, a forensic dentist, concurred. "This was one of the most awful things I'd ever seen in an autopsy," Metcalf said. "I couldn't tell the bites apart." Metcalf described gaping wounds produced from bites upon bites on the boy's neck, head and shoulders along with bites, claw marks and scratches over the body.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/couple-draws-prison-time

A jury in Graham today sentenced Crystal Watson and Jack Smith to seven years in prison for their roles in a pit bull attack that killed a seven-year-old-boy in May.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back