TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then there is the way the crime took place once Missy entered the Creekside Church that morning. It would be interesting to know what a career burglar would think about a crime like this. I cannot understand why someone who is completely covered from head to toe would risk murder unless the victim were trying to tackle them for burglary.
My sister's upscale condo was burglarized by whom the police described as a professional crew.

The place looked like a hurricane at struck it- only that there was no senseless vandalism. Rather, every second was spent identifying and searching for valuable. The burglars found her obvious valuables, and hidden stash spots of money, checks and spare credit cards. Despite the hurricane interior, the police said that the pros were probably in and out in 10 minutes or so.

Likewise, I saw a documentary once by a former burglary pro, know telling all after a change of heart- yeah right. Anyways, he was a top level pro specializing in up scale homes. Naturally not all pro's take the following to his level, but the concepts are valid:

- Alarms? We dont care. We are only going to be in the house for minutes. We always presume we tripped an alarm.

- Two or more burglars with a pawn brokers eye for anything valuable commando ransack the house. On every floor, they open at least one window. They want an escape route if police or owner make an appeareance.

- Somebody in the large house? They are fleeing immediately. Likewise, the pros passed up lucrative targets if there was even a possibility that somebody was home.

- Loot is taken to central location and stuffed into extra large military style duffle bags.

- Time to leave..... Call their partner / look out who is around the block in something that passes for a contractor work van. Then open the garage door. "Contractor" backs in, Duffle bags get tossed in. Burglars jump in and off they go.

- And.... cardio work outs were mandatory for all members of the group. They had to move fast. Standard work "uniform" was upscale jogging clothes. If required to flee on foot, a fit person jogging in brand name everything fits in very well in upscale areas. The pro mentioned that he jogged right past the police on one occasion.

The majority of burglaries don’t involve violence or the use of a weapon, but victims can feel traumatized for months after a break-in, not only for the loss of their property but the uneasy feeling that a criminal was in their home and the fear that he or she may return. Most “burglars” just want to break into your home, find something of value and get out as quickly as they can. In fact, the timeframe within which a burglary is committed is between 90 seconds and 12 minutes, according to the FBI! But the typical commission time is between 8 and 10 minutes.

Most burglaries occur between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., since that’s a prime timeframe where many homes are not occupied.

Statistically speaking this wasn’t a burglary and I’m a fan of statistics, they are logical and make sense. A

My sister's upscale condo was burglarized by whom the police described as a professional crew.

The place looked like a hurricane at struck it- only that there was no senseless vandalism. Rather, every second was spent identifying and searching for valuable. The burglars found her obvious valuables, and hidden stash spots of money, checks and spare credit cards. Despite the hurricane interior, the police said that the pros were probably in and out in 10 minutes or so.

Likewise, I saw a documentary once by a former burglary pro, know telling all after a change of heart- yeah right. Anyways, he was a top level pro specializing in up scale homes. Naturally not all pro's take the following to his level, but the concepts are valid:

- Alarms? We dont care. We are only going to be in the house for minutes. We always presume we tripped an alarm.

- Two or more burglars with a pawn brokers eye for anything valuable commando ransack the house. On every floor, they open at least one window. They want an escape route if police or owner make an appeareance.

- Somebody in the large house? They are fleeing immediately. Likewise, the pros passed up lucrative targets if there was even a possibility that somebody was home.

- Loot is taken to central location and stuffed into extra large military style duffle bags.

- Time to leave..... Call their partner / look out who is around the block in something that passes for a contractor work van. Then open the garage door. "Contractor" backs in, Duffle bags get tossed in. Burglars jump in and off they go.

- And.... cardio work outs were mandatory for all members of the group. They had to move fast. Standard work "uniform" was upscale jogging clothes. If required to flee on foot, a fit person jogging in brand name everything fits in very well in upscale areas. The pro mentioned that he jogged right past the police on one occasion.
In my opinion, it seems like Missy Bevers was targeted.

But the reasons I have for this opinion are mostly due to the mystery car. If the Nissan Altima from the SWFA footage was somehow involved that would be strange. A few good researchers have pointed out that there looks to be a GPS or IPOD on the dash in that SWFA footage. I think a rental would probably not have that as standard equipment. This could have been someone's personal vehicle.

Whether or not the Nissan Altima from SWFA was involved, we know there was a sign in the Creekside Church parking lot that said surveillance cameras were in use. Because this person was so interested in disguising their body from the cameras inside the church, I find it very strange they were not worried about potential cameras outside the church.

A main question I would write down about this case is: Why was the murderer not concerned about their vehicle being seen on surveillance camera or by eyewitnesses that could have arrived early to the church?

The only answer I have is that the killer was lucky, or they felt that even if police identified the car it would not matter because they belong there at the church or to see Missy that morning.

But even that explanation does not explain the confidence behind not being identified on the surveillance cameras. It could be a security guard who has dealt with surveillance cameras in their work or even a school bus driver who might have had experience with them on their school bus. The possibilities are endless.

The point I was making in my original post is that there is around 30 minutes between the time MB is seen on CCTV entering the church and the 911 call after being discovered. We don't know her state at the end of the attack, we only know the final outcome 30 minutes later.

And I'm making this point in discussing a theory that the killer "wanted her dead" (quotes mine) -- we don't actually know if she was in fact dead when the perp left the building.

Sorry for any confusion it caused!
The killer wanted her dead and got the job done. I believe she was beaten and shot. Kind of a personal kill with the shots to make sure she died. The killer couldn't wait around to make sure they caught her last breath. They probably knew class was to start soon

<modsnip>
I just have one question. Does anyone know of a "break in" on a church/commercial building in the middle of the night in which the perp was dressed (almost comically) to the nines as a member of a police swat team in total riot gear ??? Even if there was a working burglar alarm, the police would not have shown up in riot gear, right? And, if the intent was to not be discovered/or apprehended in the ensuing milieu, wouldn't being dressed as a janitor pushing a rolling bucket and mop have served the same purpose? Especially if the intent was robbery, then the perp would have a rolling bucket in which to carry the items they were stealing?
Ugh, this boggles my mind, because: 1. Texas Penal Code § 37.11(a) provides, in relevant part, that a person commits a felony offense "if he impersonates a public servant with intent to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority." So, even if there were no murder, the perp was still risking two to 10 years in prison for impersonation! Who is willing to take that kind of risk? Perhaps a person who is intended on murder from the start?
Thank you in advance for letting me ask "one question." (Lol, now you know why I go by, I Question, all the time.)
Bringing this forward two months later: The nature of the disguise also points more toward a purpose of murder rather than burglary to me. I think it’s important here. It just seems way over the top for a burglary. Very strange.

I wonder what the motive was in this case? If it was not a romantic relationship or a perceived romantic relationship, then what was the motive? Could it be a burglary gone bad, despite how strange a burglary it is?

Did Missy know her killer? If she was first struck in the head, was it from the front or the back? There are a lot of questions in this case that we do not have the answers to.

The strangest part is where she was found within the church. She came in through the southwest entry awning area. The main entrance is the west entrance. According to research she was found near the Men's Bible study which is farther away to the northern part of the hallway she entered from the southwest awning enterance. Also, the Men's Bible study is literally only a few doors from where it is thought the killer first entered the church, near the kitchen area.

The part that is strange is that even if the killer had been in one of the rooms on the west side of the building, like the Men's Bible study for instance, wouldn't the lights of her vehicle shined in the window alerting the burglar that someone was driving into the church parking lot at that hour? Why did the burglar not leave the room they were in and go immediately to the kitchen area to leave the way they came in?

I cannot understand why the burglar would stick around if the victim had yet to park their vehicle and get the folding table out to take inside the church. It is the headlights shining into the church windows that is strange.

..... if the killer had been in one of the rooms on the west side of the building, like the Men's Bible study for instance, wouldn't the lights of her vehicle shined in the window alerting the burglar that someone was driving into the church parking lot at that hour?

Perhaps yes. And if no, or if he was elsewhere, then he would NOT have been alerted to someone coming, to prompt him to flee. Unfortunately we have no idea where the perp was when Missy came in the driveway.

What I see in the Creekside Church surveillance video is someone who is wearing knee high police motorcycle patrol boots. I think this could be what causes the gait to be a little more unusual. But like so many cases that have video evidence, each of us might see something different.
No the gate has a distinctive 'foot drop' on one side, not both. It is an actual physical issue with the foot/leg not related to the boots. IMO Foot drop is sometimes seen in individuals who have post polio syndrome and cerebral palsy, to name a few conditions.

Might have had an ankle holster on that leg

Well, I don't use an ankle holster, but that might be.

Mine is due to hip/pelvic development - atypical, back injury, and a couple forms of spinal arthritis, and skipping physical therapy.

If you see me stepping out of my car in a parking lot -- looks just like the gait in the video.

Again, I was not in Texas at the time. :cool:

Well, I don't use an ankle holster, but that might be.

Mine is due to hip/pelvic development - atypical, back injury, and a couple forms of spinal arthritis, and skipping physical therapy.

If you see me stepping out of my car in a parking lot -- looks just like the gait in the video.

Again, I was not in Texas at the time. :cool:
Pelvic development actually segues into another interesting point. If you do use an ankle holster all the time, your gait will adapt to accommodate it and you might look like you're walking weird if you're not wearing it.

That may seem like a non sequitur but I'm still quite firmly convinced that the perp is someone who had not spent a lot of time or undergone a lot of training wearing the load out he was wearing that night - or any similar load out.

I can't say with reasonable certainty if it was organized or not but I am reasonably certain from my observation that he was just playing around at being a swat team member and for some reason it escalated to murder when he encountered Missy.

Pelvic development actually segues into another interesting point. If you do use an ankle holster all the time, your gait will adapt to accommodate it and you might look like you're walking weird if you're not wearing it.

That may seem like a non sequitur but I'm still quite firmly convinced that the perp is someone who had not spent a lot of time or undergone a lot of training wearing the load out he was wearing that night - or any similar load out.

I can't say with reasonable certainty if it was organized or not but I am reasonably certain from my observation that he was just playing around at being a swat team member and for some reason it escalated to murder when he encountered Missy.

bbm

Odd as it seems, I am in this 'LARPing gone wrong' camp as well.

The murderer looks so much like a video game character, walking through the site, opening doors, using tools; nothing makes sense but this makes the most sense to me.

RIP, Missy, peace & comfort for your loved ones.

jmho ymmv lrr

After looking at the case, if it was a burglary gone bad, it is one of the strangest I have heard about.

I have never seen burglars do what this person did. I think whoever that is on surveillance video is someone who was either aware they would or could possibly be on surveillance camera. The body type may even be wrong if they are trying to make themselves appear heavier than what they actually are.

On the other hand, without a clear motive, it is easy to come to the conclusion that Missy may have surprised a burglar.

But whether it is Missy entering the church with a forward look down a long hallway or the lights of her truck shining into the church windows on the west side of the building as she drove into the parking lot, it is very hard to understand how that actually happened. I can only theorize that as the burglar heard Missy entering the church, they were on the other side of the church and right as about they were going to get back to the kitchen area room where they entered, Missy saw them, and instead of going into the kitchen room door, they confronted Missy and murdered her right where the Men's Bible study was. That is possible, although where Missy's body was found would mean they would have to pass the door they came out of when they first appeared on video.

It is a unique mystery. Many crimes are simple so when you come across one that is not or does not appear to be, it is sometimes a lot more difficult to solve.

Re the question of how the perp could have been unaware of Missy's arrival and entrance, one easy-to-see answer is that prior to MB's arrival, the perp had gone into the inner auditorium to search for things to steal.

While in there, he would have had no idea that MB had driven through the parking lot, or had entered the building.

I can see the possibility that perp exited the auditorium, with the full expectation he is alone in the building and church staff won't be there for another 4-5 hours, and panics on seeing MB -- and perhaps vice versa as well. Maybe coming out the inner door he almost bumps into her as she walked down the foyer hallway. In the panic and confusion, it leads to MB being shot and killed.

bbm

Odd as it seems, I am in this 'LARPing gone wrong' camp as well.

The murderer looks so much like a video game character, walking through the site, opening doors, using tools; nothing makes sense but this makes the most sense to me.

RIP, Missy, peace & comfort for your loved ones.

jmho ymmv lrr
Would you mind sharing for what the LARP in LARPing stands? TIA

Re the question of how the perp could have been unaware of Missy's arrival and entrance, one easy-to-see answer is that prior to MB's arrival, the perp had gone into the inner auditorium to search for things to steal.

While in there, he would have had no idea that MB had driven through the parking lot, or had entered the building.

I can see the possibility that perp exited the auditorium, with the full expectation he is alone in the building and church staff won't be there for another 4-5 hours, and panics on seeing MB -- and perhaps vice versa as well. Maybe coming out the inner door he almost bumps into her as she walked down the foyer hallway. In the panic and confusion, it leads to MB being shot and killed.

"the perp had gone into the inner auditorium to search for things to steal."

Objection! Assumes facts not in evidence!

Now, SteveS, you know as well as I do, that none of us know, or are aware of, what was on the SPs mind when they entered the center auditorium. You are assuming the guy is in there for the purpose of stealing as if SP has collected a huge stack of stuff to haul out of the Church.

But, what if SPs true purpose is getting into position inside the auditorium in order to 'meet and greet' with Missy as she walks past the doors in the main Western corridor?

SP has two important things that gives SP the upper hand for the mission.
1. The Element of Surprise 2. SP has a gun

"the perp had gone into the inner auditorium to search for things to steal."

Objection! Assumes facts not in evidence!

Now, SteveS, you know as well as I do, that none of us know, or are aware of, what was on the SPs mind when they entered the center auditorium. You are assuming the guy is in there for the purpose of stealing as if SP has collected a huge stack of stuff to haul out of the Church.

But, what if SPs true purpose is getting into position inside the auditorium in order to 'meet and greet' with Missy as she walks past the doors in the main Western corridor?

SP has two important things that gives SP the upper hand for the mission.
1. The Element of Surprise 2. SP has a gun
But it couldn't have been the auditorium the murderer came out of to confront Missy.

It's in the statement by Missy Bever's sister-in-law that I heard from one of the research videos about the case. In it she said the surveillance cameras caught Missy walking further down the hall, turning to the right where she turned on the lights inside the auditorium. Then she walked further down where she eventually went out of the camera's view.

This would suggest to me the burglar was not in the auditorium at the time she entered the church. What would the burglar be doing there in the dark? And if the camera inside the church can catch Missy walking that far down the hallway into the church, then it would have been able to catch someone coming out of the auditorium too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member