TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went and watched the Altima footage again. My first thought was they shut off the lights and pulled into the parking lot because they thought they were being followed. As they came around the corner there was a vehicle that passed by in the road.

Beyond that maybe they were still in that panicked scared state and since there were so many parking lot lights they couldn’t tell if the lights were off or on. And just kept messing with them until they could tell.

It continues to surprise me that whoever murdered Missy has never been caught. In the beginning there seemed to be so many viable suspects and the majority believed she was targeted. Here we are, five years later with more serious discussion if she was targeted vs. in the way of a burglary. It is always nice to see this thread pop up, but depressing that there hasn’t been movement that we know of, in so many years.
Is it possible that perp. has passed away ? I tend to go with the cosplay cop theory, or something along those lines, I wonder if it is case that that the perp. could no longer live with his guilt and did away with himself a few weeks or months later.

But isn't cosplaying usually closely tied to being engaged in (to the very least) online community of people cosplaying similar stuff? Appreciation and praise is pretty important thing.
I can see a person being into whatever hobby they are into, living alone or with flatmates/family, not sharing much about their passion. Even not sharing anything. Collecting full size costumes is slightly harder to hide than collection of post stamps, but it's not impossible or even significantly challenging to not include other people into purchases or dressups (if living in some sort of basement or attic almost separate condo and not welcoming other's visits, or living with limited mobility grandma for example).
In the same time it's very hard for me to imagine some hardcore cosplayer, wannabe cop, wanting to live a fantasy and make it "real" to completely shut up about it online.

And assumming that it wasn't targeted murder, likely not even targeted robbery but mostly show off that went terribly wrong - cause perp wasn't expecting anyone to be there, wasn't thinking about murdering anyone before it happened...
Wouldn't that kind of person be hungry for a praise and appreciation long before doing that? Not really a reason to stay low about it - trespassing and minor property damage isn't a big crime yet, doing something like that (breaking into the church to walk around it looking scary) doesn't seem like a thing that anyone would be up to just like that, without exposing themselves as very bold and daring at least to some people.

If murdering Missy (or hurting anyone else) wasn't on perps mind at all, wouldn't they have someone kinda... waiting for the results? being impressed?

But isn't cosplaying usually closely tied to being engaged in (to the very least) online community of people cosplaying similar stuff? Appreciation and praise is pretty important thing.
I can see a person being into whatever hobby they are into, living alone or with flatmates/family, not sharing much about their passion. Even not sharing anything. Collecting full size costumes is slightly harder to hide than collection of post stamps, but it's not impossible or even significantly challenging to not include other people into purchases or dressups (if living in some sort of basement or attic almost separate condo and not welcoming other's visits, or living with limited mobility grandma for example).
In the same time it's very hard for me to imagine some hardcore cosplayer, wannabe cop, wanting to live a fantasy and make it "real" to completely shut up about it online.

And assumming that it wasn't targeted murder, likely not even targeted robbery but mostly show off that went terribly wrong - cause perp wasn't expecting anyone to be there, wasn't thinking about murdering anyone before it happened...
Wouldn't that kind of person be hungry for a praise and appreciation long before doing that? Not really a reason to stay low about it - trespassing and minor property damage isn't a big crime yet, doing something like that (breaking into the church to walk around it looking scary) doesn't seem like a thing that anyone would be up to just like that, without exposing themselves as very bold and daring at least to some people.

If murdering Missy (or hurting anyone else) wasn't on perps mind at all, wouldn't they have someone kinda... waiting for the results? being impressed?

Yes, for the most part cosplay would be tied to the online community. In this case, I think this perp could just be acting out some cop roleplay fantasy on his own. JMO, but I don't think it was a professional hit. When I look at the footage I don't James Bond, I see Clark Griswold.

Yes, for the most part cosplay would be tied to the online community. In this case, I think this perp could just be acting out some cop roleplay fantasy on his own. JMO, but I don't think it was a professional hit. When I look at the footage I don't James Bond, I see Clark Griswold.
No, no, no, I didn't mean online community of cosplayers. Those people seem to be pretty active by default with sharing their outfits, doing meetups (if possible), sharing links to shops or tailors that could help with getting some desired pieces. I don't see even military cosplayers being even remotely interested in cheering for vandalising churches.
I'd bet for a different community. And for someone more like... very passionately vocal cop groupie or the polar opposite, well known complainer about the church or lack of its security.

To the latter I disagree. James Bond is cringy, a woman beater, irresponsible humbug who keeps directly causing deaths of innocent people around him with his stupidity and main focus on outfits, sexoholism and owning cool, expensive stuff. Clark Griswold is a good guy. Missy's murderer has more in common with James Bond that any forgiving fan of it's merchandise would like to notice.

I agree that it wasn't professional hit, but criminal doesn't have to be professional to end up payed or persuaded into doing the crime. I don't know about US but where I live a person has to be pretty high in criminal world or to even realistically think about hiring professional hitman. Was Missy a member of such cicle? Is any random Texas resident able to hire a hitman? I don't think so. Midlle class housewives are sometimes getting murdered by payed killers but they are sloppy nutcases, not professional hitmans. Very hard to catch if they're getting lucky with getting away from crime scene leaving no evidence. Same thing if the motive isn't something that average person with half of a brain would consider as valid excuse for mortal vengeance.

Another thing I wonder is where did this perp go after leaving the building? Did the perp just walk away? How?
Drove away. By far the quickest, easiest way to both get there when you want, avoid being hindered by the huge rainstorm, leave when you want, and be out of sight and MANY miles away before anyone arrives to see that someone has broken in.

Once on the highway right in front of the church, in 30 minutes or less the perp could have been in Ft Worth, in Dallas, most of the way to Waco/Austin/San Antonio, most of the way to Oklahoma and points farther north, on the way to Houston, on the highway that heads E to Louisiana and farther, or W to W Texas and farther, and each of that with no stops, stop lights, etc while going 70 mph all the way.

Last edited:
Drove away. By far the quickest, easiest way to both get there when you want, avoid being hindered by the huge rainstorm, leave when you want, and be out of sight and MANY miles away before anyone arrives to see that someone has broken in.

Once on the highway right in front of the church, in 30 minutes or less the perp could have been in Ft Worth, in Dallas, most of the way to Waco/Austin/San Antonio, most of the way to Oklahoma and points farther north, on the way to Houston, on the highway that heads E to Louisiana and farther, or W to W Texas and farther, and each of that with no stops, stop lights, etc while going 70 mph all the way.
Wouldn't that car get caught by the surveillance of nearby buisnesses and some city surveillance?
At that time of night and in that weather there shouldn't be that many cars passing there and definitely not very many joining the traffic there... unless there wasn't any surveillance that would catch every car.

Wouldn't that car get caught by the surveillance of nearby businesses and some city surveillance?

No. Not even close.

We don't have a place to start. Coming out of the church, what type of vehicle was it, for them to look for? No idea. SUV? Car? Coupe? Pickup? Van? Of course, we need more than that - we need to know THE vehicle to look for, make/model, what direction it went, etc. Without any of that, no way to try to see if _____ went past here or there that night.

As for starting on the other end and mindlessly reviewing ALL the traffic and logging it all and then investigating from there (which would be a mountain of data to sift through on that very busy highway), how do you do that in a useful way? The only thing that helps is to find one specific vehicle, or several specific ones, but how do you figure out what you are seeing, which ones to hone in on, and then identify the car/driver to investigate?

Think about the technology limits of what you could find in such a review - at SWFA they couldn't even identify the car/person that drove around it at 5 mph by cams that were very close. So what identify of vehicles is possible with them going 60-70 mph from a significant distance away, with a steady rain, at night? If you watch the SWFA footage, you will see some vehicles zooming past in that very short time, and there's no way to know what's what, other than maybe separating out the general size or style.

There's also the footage scarcity. Security cams tend to be motion activated, and because of the space limits, they will be set to ignore background movement that wouldn't be relative to the business. We do see traffic on 287 in the Altima video, but probably because the cam was already triggered to record the Altima, but not likely to keep recording without a close up trigger.

There's also major limits in any cams existing at all. Highway 287 at that time had very minimal development in the area (it's getting more so now), so I would wager almost no cams of any kind were even there on that stretch of highway in 5 miles either direction that night.

One other point. LE did go up and down that highway to see what cams existed, what footage, etc, and then took a look at what existed. Obviously there was nothing useful, except maybe the SWFA footage (which was at the wrong time, and didn't show them anything clear enough to help). Since they picked out THAT to ask for public help in identifying, I would wager that was the cream of the crop in cam footage.

Well, I was thinking about something like: 1669077117525.png
With AB being some distance of the road.
X - the church.
X1, X2 - some surveillance that can spot a vehicle driving up or down the road in one direction.
Y2, Y3 - another surviellance that could spot vehicles on the road in opposite direction.
Then, in the frame of time starting from estimated time of the attack and people finding Missy:
did as many vehicles passed point Y2 in direction B as X1?
did as many vehicles passed point X1 in direction A as Y2?
If yes, then it'd say that perp either didn't left by vehicle or hided/fled through some less frequented road.
If no, how many vehicles joined the traffic in a distance from checkpoint Y2 and X1 in the crucial frame of time?
And only then, if the number of vehicles entering and leaving the Y2-X1 fraction of a road in that specific frame of time didn't match it'd be worth to dig through that data trying to find what kind of car joined the traffic. Then, knowing the exact time when mentioned vehicles passed checkpoint X1 or Y2, estimated timeframe of them appearing at the another points with surveillance could be narrowed down to maybe 20 seconds.
So what identify of vehicles is possible with them going 60-70 mph from a significant distance away, with a steady rain, at night?
No identifications, just counting. Cause maybe there was some suddenly showing up bike... or something. If nothing like that then no reason to look into it further, or some reason to consider that murdered didn't arrived there by vehicle or that he didn't drove far.
One other point. LE did go up and down that highway to see what cams existed, what footage, etc, and then took a look at what existed. Obviously there was nothing useful, except maybe the SWFA footage (which was at the wrong time, and didn't show them anything clear enough to help). Since they picked out THAT to ask for public help in identifying, I would wager that was the cream of the crop in cam footage.
Did they? It was reported that SWFA forwarded that Altima's recordings weeks after the murder, only after they had breaking in attempt at their location. So I guess it was done (forwarded) when noticed (cause noticed only then they closely reviewed their surveillance back) or when it was convenient, cause contacting LE anyway to report that attempted burglary.

1. Well, I was thinking about something like: View attachment 381680

No identifications, just counting. Cause maybe there was some suddenly showing up bike... or something. If nothing like that then no reason to look into it further, or some reason to consider that murdered didn't arrived there by vehicle or that he didn't drove far.

2 Did they?

1 a - Not sure y2 or x1 (being cams that would have faithfully recorded all traffic on 287) existed in any place al that close to the church ...and
1 b - I would suspect that between the church at x and y2, or the church at x and x1, there were MANY side streets where a car could have entered or exited, each of them altering the number coming and going down that highway.

2 Yes they did, and said so. It was one of their very first investigative projects, in fact, to canvas the highway and try to discover what (if any) video assets might exist. From what we have seen and heard since, it appears the SWFA video was the best "evidence" they found, and they aren't even sure it's related at all.

1 a - Not sure y2 or x1 (being cams that would have faithfully recorded all traffic on 287) existed in any place al that close to the church ...and
1 b - I would suspect that between the church at x and y2, or the church at x and x1, there were MANY side streets where a car could have entered or exited, each of them altering the number coming and going down that highway.

2 Yes they did, and said so. It was one of their very first investigative projects, in fact, to canvas the highway and try to discover what (if any) video assets might exist. From what we have seen and heard since, it appears the SWFA video was the best "evidence" they found, and they aren't even sure it's related at all.
I suspected that they looked at the side streets. I wonder if doorbell cam footage was given to LE by residents. You know like to make comparasins. Its too bad the gunstore gave the footage sometime later because perhaps LE would be able to compare the Altima with anything similar in the residents from the side streets who gave them footage. I'm still surprised that the church cameras covering or facing the parking lot didn't catch anything significant. How is that even possible? Did the perp leave from back area on grass and was not detected? I just can't see how a camera/s from the church facing the lot or covering it did not pick an identifiable vehicle?

No, no, no, I didn't mean online community of cosplayers. Those people seem to be pretty active by default with sharing their outfits, doing meetups (if possible), sharing links to shops or tailors that could help with getting some desired pieces. I don't see even military cosplayers being even remotely interested in cheering for vandalising churches.
I'd bet for a different community. And for someone more like... very passionately vocal cop groupie or the polar opposite, well known complainer about the church or lack of its security.

To the latter I disagree. James Bond is cringy, a woman beater, irresponsible humbug who keeps directly causing deaths of innocent people around him with his stupidity and main focus on outfits, sexoholism and owning cool, expensive stuff. Clark Griswold is a good guy. Missy's murderer has more in common with James Bond that any forgiving fan of it's merchandise would like to notice.

I agree that it wasn't professional hit, but criminal doesn't have to be professional to end up payed or persuaded into doing the crime. I don't know about US but where I live a person has to be pretty high in criminal world or to even realistically think about hiring professional hitman. Was Missy a member of such cicle? Is any random Texas resident able to hire a hitman? I don't think so. Midlle class housewives are sometimes getting murdered by payed killers but they are sloppy nutcases, not professional hitmans. Very hard to catch if they're getting lucky with getting away from crime scene leaving no evidence. Same thing if the motive isn't something that average person with half of a brain would consider as valid excuse for mortal vengeance.
Finally someone who shares my feelings on JB!!
I also am very interested in your theory. Just reading this case for the first time tonight and am blown away. I thought it'd be her father in law because the walk is just so spot on. What a terrifying ordeal for Missy and everyone in her family.

1 I suspected that they looked at the side streets. I wonder if doorbell cam footage was given to LE by residents. You know like to make comparasins
2 Its too bad the gunstore gave the footage sometime later because perhaps LE would be able to compare the Altima with anything similar in the residents from the side streets who gave them footage.
3 I'm still surprised that the church cameras covering or facing the parking lot didn't catch anything significant. How is that even possible? Did the perp leave from back area on grass and was not detected? I just can't see how a camera/s from the church facing the lot or covering it did not pick an identifiable vehicle?
1 We don't know where LE looked for cams, but it makes sense they would have canvassed the side streets as well. Obviously they would have been limited by what existed - whether there were cams at all, and if so what they showed.

I also would think that at locations where they found video (if they did), they requested and got a copy of each of those videos for future reference, to allow them to do the things you suggest. But front door cams don't necessarily catch what's on the street, since that's not what the owner is wanting to see/know, so there's that.

2 I don't consider the SWFA video as being all that late to the party - within a few weeks, info from it was being released.

3 The interior church cams didn't have a real view to the outside, as that was not what they were designed to record. Whatever outdoor cams they had did not work properly, per LE (which apparently wasn't the first time, and which may have been related to the extreme rain) so no, per LE there was nothing to work with from that source.

1 We don't know where LE looked for cams, but it makes sense they would have canvassed the side streets as well. Obviously they would have been limited by what existed - whether there were cams at all, and if so what they showed.

I also would think that at locations where they found video (if they did), they requested and got a copy of each of those videos for future reference, to allow them to do the things you suggest. But front door cams don't necessarily catch what's on the street, since that's not what the owner is wanting to see/know, so there's that.

2 I don't consider the SWFA video as being all that late to the party - within a few weeks, info from it was being released.

3 The interior church cams didn't have a real view to the outside, as that was not what they were designed to record. Whatever outdoor cams they had did not work properly, per LE (which apparently wasn't the first time, and which may have been related to the extreme rain) so no, per LE there was nothing to work with from that source.
I agree that the owner has a specific reasoning for the cam footage, but some do capture the street in front. You are probably correct that LE didn't get anything worthy from the footage that they do have. Its too bad because perhaps the perp would have been identifiable or at least LE could release something to the public and they weren't able to.
I was thinking perhaps the perp chose this night specifically because of the rain being so heavy and thinking that would give an advantage to get away from the scene as not many people are out on a stromy night. Another thing I wonder is if this perp somehow knew that the church's camera's are limited in what they pick up? Would that be inside knowledge or would that possibly be someone who knows who to talk to about cameras at the church and vaguely put it accross to the individual with knowledge so they don't suspect something. The perp could say for example to whoever has he knowledge "oh did you see that red" or some type of reference and the person with knowledge wouldn't think twice about it. I can see something like that happening or it was a cooincidence but IMO there are too many cooincidences for this perp to be still undetected. Did this person know what they were doing? I mean the stormy night look at this aspect. If this wasn't motivated by Missy herself this perp was looking to commit a crime. If it was a robbery why vandalize.

Another thing one might want to consider is how long did this perp stay inside the church. I mean what time were they first detected on camera inside. So IMO that may give a clue to something. Like for example when they went inside of a room or office did they look through stuff inside? That could tell us possibly that it was a robbery motive its just that they didn't find anything of value. The perp didn't take Missy's wedding band (ring/s) off her finger (if I recall it was posted in the last thread.) On the Nancy Grace segment the scene where Missy was found was violent. I realize for good reason LE is tight about releasing info which is fine by me. The only thing though is I wish they would let the public know 1) how violent it was (they could vaguely indicate the severity of Missy's injuries 2) did the perp take anything and if so was it of value or if not was that a possible motive (for example did the perp try to access the daily donations). I mean LE could vaguely indicate these things. Honestly I know people don't want to believe this was random and I think often times LE doesn't want to alarm people. MOO.

Finally someone who shares my feelings on JB!!
I also am very interested in your theory. Just reading this case for the first time tonight and am blown away. I thought it'd be her father in law because the walk is just so spot on. What a terrifying ordeal for Missy and everyone in her family.
Walk isn't really spot on. It looks kinda similar when you look at the FIL walking in his normal clothes vs. murderer in full gear - there is basically no way that guy his age and with his, 100% confirmed medical conditions could walk like the murderer did. It's just the way that heavily overweight people tend to walk, cause it's easier to keep balance - but same thing with people who suddenly got much more weight on them that they're used to carry on the daily basis... and those wearing shoes that are too big and uncomfortable... and well...
I'm not an expert, but just try walking like you usually do and either ask someone to record it or use thin layer of snow to keep track - and then put something on your head that significantly reduces your sight (like a bike helmet) and walk similar distance. You probably will start walking more like a duck then. And it may be nothing more than that.

Is it known how long the perp was in the church?

Just a few things about this case from my observation and curiosity.

The video. At about :19 of this video the perp starts doing something that seems to confuse a lot of people:

I personally think that up until :39 or so, this person is using the door as leverage to do something with an object. Many people think he/she is trying to pry the door open. I think it is likely that they are not doing that, but are using the door as a holder instead of putting something on the ground or a table. I know it sounds strange, but the way they use that hammer at the end to smoothly go over the top of the object is eerie to me. I still cannot jog a good explanation for that.

Also, at about 1:45 in the video the perp is seen breaking glass. Some people think its really weird that they hit the glass with such a wimpy looking flick of the wrist. I may have an explanation for that. When I worked at a place with heavy snow, one of my responsibilities was to break the ice off of the generators when they became frozen over. At first, I hit it full force, but then the ice flew into my face. I noticed myself hitting the ice with a wimpy wrist in order to control how hard the shards flew back at me.

I have always wondered if the reason the perp was opening so many doors is because they were looking for what room Missy was going to be setting her class up in, so they could ambush her.

Missy's family. Why do we only hear from Brandon, his stepmother, and his father? They all seemed to be super loud and vigilant, but I cannot seem to find anything, anywhere, where any of Missy's family has spoken out.

The struggle she put up. There has always been the question of why or how Missy was not able to fight back, although she was in really good physical shape. I have wondered if she didn't really want to hurt the person attacking her. Maybe this person was someone she knew she could overpower but was just trying to get them to relax and merely defend herself.

The gun. In some online research, I have seen where people narrowed down her case as unsolved homicide by a firearm. Does this mean specifically lead, gunpowder, and bullet casings? Or could this be a firearm but not exactly what we are used to thinking of when we hear that?

I personally would really like to see this case solved one day. There is too much video footage for it to have gone on this long IMO.

Just a few things about this case from my observation and curiosity.

The video. At about :19 of this video the perp starts doing something that seems to confuse a lot of people:

I personally think that up until :39 or so, this person is using the door as leverage to do something with an object. Many people think he/she is trying to pry the door open. I think it is likely that they are not doing that, but are using the door as a holder instead of putting something on the ground or a table. I know it sounds strange, but the way they use that hammer at the end to smoothly go over the top of the object is eerie to me. I still cannot jog a good explanation for that.

Also, at about 1:45 in the video the perp is seen breaking glass. Some people think its really weird that they hit the glass with such a wimpy looking flick of the wrist. I may have an explanation for that. When I worked at a place with heavy snow, one of my responsibilities was to break the ice off of the generators when they became frozen over. At first, I hit it full force, but then the ice flew into my face. I noticed myself hitting the ice with a wimpy wrist in order to control how hard the shards flew back at me.

I have always wondered if the reason the perp was opening so many doors is because they were looking for what room Missy was going to be setting her class up in, so they could ambush her.

Missy's family. Why do we only hear from Brandon, his stepmother, and his father? They all seemed to be super loud and vigilant, but I cannot seem to find anything, anywhere, where any of Missy's family has spoken out.

The struggle she put up. There has always been the question of why or how Missy was not able to fight back, although she was in really good physical shape. I have wondered if she didn't really want to hurt the person attacking her. Maybe this person was someone she knew she could overpower but was just trying to get them to relax and merely defend herself.

The gun. In some online research, I have seen where people narrowed down her case as unsolved homicide by a firearm. Does this mean specifically lead, gunpowder, and bullet casings? Or could this be a firearm but not exactly what we are used to thinking of when we hear that?

I personally would really like to see this case solved one day. There is too much video footage for it to have gone on this long IMO.
I've noticed some of these things in other video of this perp and that just leads me to think this perp is up to something serious as opposed to just vandalism or a simple robbery. It is eerie the way this perp is behaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member