TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like a gun may have been used to kill Missy. But my question is if officially the cause of her death is gunshot wounds then did the perp go with intent to kill. I know over the years MB's threads have been over this issue but if its the perp's gun that was used obviously the perp had it with them initially. Does it mean the perp had the gun for protection or something sinister? If what another Sleuther was mentioning about the door cracks and the perp trying to break in that way with a sharp tool to damage the door to get into the rooms/offices as we see in the video the putting of the baton looking item on the door handle/knob for levreging or ease then the motive maybe a robbery. But IMO if there are no tool marks in any of the door cracks then what is the perp doing there? I can't think of any reason for the perp to be putting that baton looking item on that door handle. Especially if it was multiple times. It doesn't look the perp is using force to break the door handle/knob. I mean we would see it if the perp was trying to break that door handle/knob. It just appears a casual very eerie action. Go figure. I really want to know what that action was maybe that may tell us what this perp was there in the church for that night. Robbery or intent to kill? IMO sometimes looking at small things such as the levereging gesture can tell us things.
One of the reasons I asked about the specifics of identifying a gunshot wound; I wondered if it could be a pneumatic type weapon, an unusual improvised projecting weapons similar to a gun, a cattle prod, crossbow, nail gun, something homemade, etc.

I lean towards the theory that Missy’s killer planned it out and wore the gear for not only for concealment but also for protection from Missy’s attacks such as punches, kicks, etc. They may have also been wearing it to protect from potential gunshots from Missy.

I really think they chose to attack her inside the church knowing it was a very high possibility she wouldn’t be packing in her workout attire while carrying in equipment.

Edit: autocorrect mistake

Last edited:
Oh, there’s one theory I find completely unreasonable.

Some people think the killer may have dressed like a SWAT member to get Missy’s guard down for a minute thinking it was a police officer.

I don’t know about you, but if I was alone in a church at 430 in the morning and some weirdo was walking around in SWAT gear, I would freak the heck out.

That’s just me personally, I can’t imagine feeling a sense of relief in that situation if it was sprung on me.

In addition to all of the discussed theories, I have two mighty imaginative ones.

One being; I think a certain person wanted her dead for a variety of reasons and another person carried out the hit for them. The person who carried out the hit may have even done it not realizing the first person was joking. Once the hit was carried out, money was not paid out as reimbursement, but rather fringe benefits. One very specific one comes to my mind.

The second wildly speculative theory; this person may have been a camp participant and killed Missy out of the shear selfishness of not wanting to workout for the rest of the camp. How many days in was the camp? How much did they have left? The FB posts announcing camp rain or shine that early in the morning may have motivated this slob to go to these lengths.

Yes, I have a wild imagination, and I realize both of these scenarios are extremely unlikely. I am just sharing my thoughts with you all.

One of the reasons I asked about the specifics of identifying a gunshot wound; I wondered if it could be a pneumatic type weapon, an unusual improvised projecting weapons similar to a gun, a cattle prod, crossbow, nail gun, something homemade, etc.

I lean towards the theory that Missy’s killer planned it out and wore the gear for not only for concealment but also for protection from Missy’s attacks such as punches, kicks, etc. They may have also been wearing it to protect from potential gunshots from Missy.

I really think they chose to attack her inside the church knowing it was a very high possibility she wouldn’t be packing in her without attire while carrying in equipment.
I never thought about that. That she could have been carrying in equipment perhaps a bag with supplies so because it was heavy or perhaps tedious for her to carry so she left her gun in the truck. Its possible IMO. That may indicate a couple of things IMO the perp knowing she carried a gun so the perp had a gun for protection/ however in Texas lots of people carry guns openly legally so I don't think that may be so. The perp could be carrying one for the same reason, protection. Yes, the outfit not only for concealment but protection. I guess it really depends on if the outfit was really bulletproof though. If it was that is one thing and on the other hand if it wasn't then the perp would have to disable Missy somehow.

I never thought about that. That she could have been carrying in equipment perhaps a bag with supplies so because it was heavy or perhaps tedious for her to carry so she left her gun in the truck. It’s possible IMO. That may indicate a couple of things IMO the perp knowing she carried a gun so the perp had a gun for protection/ however in Texas lots of people carry guns openly legally so I don't think that may be so. The perp could be carrying one for the same reason, protection. Yes, the outfit not only for concealment but protection. I guess it really depends on if the outfit was really bulletproof though. If it was that is one thing and on the other hand if it wasn't then the perp would have to disable Missy somehow.
From the killers perspective, I would also think it was highly unlikely that Missy would bring the gun to her workout class (much less at 430am) even if she was not carrying any equipment in.

I think the killer was well aware of her schedule and likelihood to be armed at the moment.

Stephen Pacheco made an interesting point on Trace Evidence Podcast. The killer didn’t seem to really go into any of the rooms. Just kinda glanced and walked out. Though Pacheco didn’t say this part, it lead me to believe it’s a strong possibly that the killer was opening the doors just to glance inside and see if it was where Missy would be holding her workout that morning.

IDK maybe there are better videos out there of this perp doing the levreging action. If anyone finds a clearer one maybe we can glean something out of that. I mean I realize the baton looking thing was black in color and the door was also dark so its hard to see if the perp took something out of thier pocket to try to damage the door. I looked at the video again and at the 25 second mark the perp has something sharp looking in thier hand. At the 11 second mark they are carrying that sharp object in their hand. So then a few seconds later we see the perp it looks like putting that sharp object in the crack of the door. The thing is that the sharp object to me looks small and that baton looking object is bigger (is it a baton?) then after putting the sharp object between the door the perp has the baton looking object in hand. Now, I took a closer look and it looks like the baton looking thing actually has a second part to it. When I originally saw it to me it looked like it was one peice but if if I'm not mistaken there are actually 2 or 3 parts to it. It like the bject opens up to make similar sized legs. But that would make it some sort of jack? for the lack of a better word? The thing is it has to be foldable otherwise how could this perp hide it in their pocket? The sharp looking object ok that can fit in their pocket but that baton looiking thing? That baton looking object looks really akward to carry around. The dynamics this perp is using are I don't know what to say. I mean what is that object.

Last edited:
IDK maybe there are better videos out there of this perp doing the levreging action. If anyone finds a clearer one maybe we can glean something out of that. I mean I realize the baton looking thing was black in color and the door was also dark so its hard to see if the perp took something out of thier pocket to try to damage the door. I looked at the video again and at the 25 second mark the perp has something sharp looking in thier hand. At the 11 second mark they are carrying that sharp object in their hand. So then a few seconds later we see the perp it looks like putting that sharp object in the crack of the door. The thing is that the sharp object to me looks small and that baton looking object is bigger (is it a baton?) then after putting the sharp object between the door the perp has the baton looking object in hand. Now, I took a closer look and it looks like the baton looking thing actually has a second part to it. When I originally saw it to me it looked like it was one peice but if if I'm not mistaken there are actually 2 or 3 parts to it. It like the bject opens up to make similar sized legs. But that would make it some sort of jack? for the lack of a better word? The thing is it has to be foldable otherwise how could this perp hide it in their pocket? The sharp looking object ok that can fit in their pocket but that baton looiking thing? That baton looking object looks really akward to carry around. The dynamics this perp is using are I don't know what to say. I mean what is that object.
Yea, that whole part has always made me think that maybe they were "loading" something or assembling pieces to something, or opening something up.

I think it was LordonArts who discussed that part, though not the way we were discussing it. He thought it was super weird how they were taking the absolute most backwards way possible to open the door. The way the hinges faced, the angle the piece was put it, etc. After I looked at the vid a few times, I started to think it was a possibility that it was just being used as leverage to hold something up while they fiddled with it.

One thing I would also like to know is, who unlocked the church? Did Missy have a key to unlock the church? Was it always just unlocked?

If the killer knew what door she had the key to, or accurately predicted which door she was most likely to use, then maybe that is why they broke in strategically at the place they broke in at. Missy would have not seen any of the damage and the killer would be able to be lying in wait inside the church.

This could also explain the poor attempt to make it look like a vandalism, masking the fact that they knew how Missy would enter, but didn't want her to see the forced entry, and its a pretty clever way of throwing the police off as opposed to just breaking, doing nothing, and just obviously waiting in one spot.

From the killers perspective, I would also think it was highly unlikely that Missy would bring the gun to her workout class (much less at 430am) even if she was not carrying any equipment in.

I think the killer was well aware of her schedule and likelihood to be armed at the moment.

Stephen Pacheco made an interesting point on Trace Evidence Podcast. The killer didn’t seem to really go into any of the rooms. Just kinda glanced and walked out. Though Pacheco didn’t say this part, it lead me to believe it’s a strong possibly that the killer was opening the doors just to glance inside and see if it was where Missy would be holding her workout that morning.
Ya just from the video we can see the perp comes out after a few seconds only like a quick glance. But could that be speed up of the video? IMO I don't think it is speed up of the video otherwise I believe it would show. That is an odd action, and I'm sure it had something to do with why the perp was there in the first place. Poor Missy felt safe enough so she had no idea what was lurking. I get your point that the perp was there for sometime already so its possible the perp knew her schedule. But IDK know if that would be something this perp would know already I realize some info was posted on social media about the classes she was instructing. Is that enough to know if she would arrive at the same time as her students meaning a ten minute or less window and the students/participants help her set up so its even less of a window, right?

Ya just from the video we can see the perp comes out after a few seconds only like a quick glance. But could that be speed up of the video? IMO I don't think it is speed up of the video otherwise I believe it would show. That is an odd action, and I'm sure it had something to do with why the perp was there in the first place. Poor Missy felt safe enough so she had no idea what was lurking. I get your point that the perp was there for sometime already so its possible the perp knew her schedule. But IDK know if that would be something this perp would know already I realize some info was posted on social media about the classes she was instructing. Is that enough to know if she would arrive at the same time as her students meaning a ten minute or less window and the students/participants help her set up so its even less of a window, right?
IIRC it was determined the killer entered the church at some ridiculously early hour, like 3am, due to an alarm going off.

If the killer knew Missy's normal setup habits then maybe they would be able to determine that too.

For instance, if they knew she provided the kettleballs/mats/etc and carried them in herself to set them up before the students arrived.

Missy DID arrive quite early too, didn't she? Like an hour before it all started.

IIRC it was determined the killer entered the church at some ridiculously early hour, like 3am, due to an alarm going off.

If the killer knew Missy's normal setup habits then maybe they would be able to determine that too.

For instance, if they knew she provided the kettleballs/mats/etc and carried them in herself to set them up before the students arrived.

Missy DID arrive quite early too, didn't she? Like an hour before it all started.
I don't remember when Missy entered. But the perp did enter like at a ridiculous time. At one time I was thinking it may be a participant/student. But I'd have to remember why I'm ifffy on that now. Entering at that ridiculous time just makes me think this wasn't a robbery gone bad. The perp spent too much time wandering around and vandalizing. Find what one is looking for and leave or not find anything of value leave. I know its hard to see but when the perp opened the first door they didn't turn the light on. I don't see a reflection on the floor of light coming from the room/office. Its dark in that room so what was that about? Go and check out the room turn the light on. If anyone has seen video of this perp opening other doors in the church and not turning the lights on that's another possible indication that this perp is not there for robbery. Even if we consider the daily donations that perhaps the perp was after would the perp not turn lights on to see if farther inside the room the donations may be there? A quick glance is enough to tell this perp there is nothing of value in a dark room/office? I just don't see that.

I don't remember when Missy entered. But the perp did enter like at a ridiculous time. At one time I was thinking it may be a participant/student. But I'd have to remember why I'm ifffy on that now. Entering at that ridiculous time just makes me think this wasn't a robbery gone bad. The perp spent too much time wandering around and vandalizing. Find what one is looking for and leave or not find anything of value leave. I know its hard to see but when the perp opened the first door they didn't turn the light on. I don't see a reflection on the floor of light coming from the room/office. Its dark in that room so what was that about? Go and check out the room turn the light on. If anyone has seen video of this perp opening other doors in the church and not turning the lights on that's another possible indication that this perp is not there for robbery. Even if we consider the daily donations that perhaps the perp was after would the perp not turn lights on to see if farther inside the room the donations may be there? A quick glance is enough to tell this perp there is nothing of value in a dark room/office? I just don't see that.
So, it doesn't appear to be on the entire time, but that helmet certainly has a headlamp on at one point.

Check 1:23, there is a light on. Its not a glare. Check 1:36 and you can see a very obvious circular light reflecting off the wall then the perp opens the door.

It looks pretty obvious to me that he has a regular claw hammer that he tries first to maybe pull outward on the door handle. He then pulls out a flat prybar which might be in a scabbard or a hammer loop on his right thigh. He wedges it in the door crack at the striker to see if the door frame will flex apart far enough to release the catch.

So, it doesn't appear to be on the entire time, but that helmet certainly has a headlamp on at one point.

Check 1:23, there is a light on. Its not a glare. Check 1:36 and you can see a very obvious circular light reflecting off the wall then the perp opens the door.

Ya I remember I saw that before and it didn't clue in. I saw that reflection on the wall of the light I remember. A headalmp. Wow this perp has a lot of pockets that awkward looking baton thing and the headlamp. Would the headlamp give enough light to glance around the room and understand there is nothing to steal, though? I can imagine the perp wanted to be discreet so it would make it difficult for someoneone to see from outside to see them inside. Was this for Missy or just generally? Wandering around vandalising, spending that much time inside what is with that? Not wearing the headlamp at times and other times wearing it? Why? All the perp has to do is switch the headlamp off. IDK if there is other video where the perp is wearing the headlamp look to see if the headlamp is on or off. Maybe the headlamp is onthe perp's head but is turned off where we can't see its light. Although the perp may want to take it off because it was akward around the helmet and could fall off and break or make noise and alert. But that doesn't make sense though because the vandalism would be making noise.

It looks pretty obvious to me that he has a regular claw hammer that he tries first to maybe pull outward on the door handle. He then pulls out a flat prybar which might be in a scabbard or a hammer loop on his right thigh. He wedges it in the door crack at the striker to see if the door frame will flex apart far enough to release the catch.

But the thing with that is that its awkward firstly and then its large. What I saw was something that had 2 or 3 parts to it. I don't doubt what you are saying, because at least that tries to provide an explanation.

I obsessed over Missy’s case for years. I was trying to find Verified insiders to help those of you who have recently had this case on your mind without luck. I always suspected her murder was related to extramarital affairs, steroid use and her public announcement of the location of that mornings boot camp class due to rain. I was in the targeted camp who was female. I also felt the Altima was somehow related. I generally just read, and don’t post often, The problem with this case for me in particular, were the multiple unknowns that all seemed they should be easy for us to know. For example, targeted vs burglary, weapons used for murder, role of Altima, even location of her body. I’m kind of just free associating here, I was hoping to go back to find some facts or people via search without luck.

The silence of the locals was always very surprising to me. I seem to remember hints of police corruption by the timid locals. Regarding Missy’s family, my understanding was they stayed out of public eye. Anyone who spoke seemed to immediately become a suspect by internet sleuths.

In an effort to assist the conversation I just wrote a little journal of my feelings on this case!

Was that headlamp made for a uniform like that. The band has to be really big to fit the helmet. I suppose a real closeup would tell us if the healdlamp was attached to the helmet or not. If its actually attached to it then it could mean that its something like a miners helmet. I suppose SWAT helmets would have these types of headlamps attached to them. I have never seen a headlamp attached to the helmet before but I'm probably wrong because they must be out there. I looked around a little and it seems with a general percursory search the headlamp attachement to the actual helmet seems specialized even by today's standards let alone when Missy was killed. I know I am dwelling on this but there's good reason because its a specialized piece it appears to me as opposed to a strap which can be found easily on different marketplaces online. I suppose one thing we could conclude is if it is a specialized headlamp that goes with the SWAT unitform then is it just a disguise? Is it to throw off LE? All of the above? Perhaps this unifrom is real. And so not to be traced the perp bought it in pieces here and there, for what though. I mean this is more than just a hobby to collect peices and then go and kill someone using it as a disguise and the utility of it. I mean where did the perp hide that piece we saw trying to wiggle the door. Did this perp wiggle all the doors. The short clips I've seen doesn't show the perp using these items on all the doors. Whatever tools this perp had with them are hidden in those pockets as we see in th video. I just cannot help but see malicious intent on this perp's part. Its the little things like these that are making me for sure believe this was intentional as opposed to a robbery gone bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam