TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was dressing in disguise to go and commit a crime that could be caught on camera, I wouldn’t walk like me.

I’ve always wondered if a female borrowed her husbands cop / ex cop clothes to do this to Missy. Put a few layers on and some too big boots to look heavier. Walk like a man. Totally doable.

It’s been a long time since I’ve looked at this case, I assume there’s been no further news?

Last edited:
If I was dressing in disguise to go and commit a crime that could be caught on camera, I wouldn’t walk like me.

I’ve always wondered if a female borrowed her husbands cop / ex cop clothes to do this to Missy. Put a few layers on and some too big boots to look heavier. Walk like a man. Totally doable.

It’s been a long time since I’ve looked at this case, I assume there’s been no further news?

You've got it 'covered,' @CoverMeCagney !

I don't believe that I've ever seen 4 AM as the start time or setup time. Set-up was putting paperwork on a small table inside because of the weather. They were still to have the bootcamp outside. I think 5 AM was the start time but 4:30 AM was the start time for the Early Bird Bootcamp. The "students" that found her were Early Birds.

"Johnson said the suspect was first seen on surveillance after breaking into the church at 3:50 a.m. Bevers, a mother of three, entered the building at 4:20 a.m., to prepare for the 5 a.m. fitness class she planned to lead, Johnson said. Bevers died from a head wound, according to a search warrant for her pickup truck released Thursday."

Do we know if she had any additional setup to do inside?

For example, did she already have her inside setup complete the night before? Or did she have items to take inside to setup before the campers arrived?

If we only knew....

SP stands for Swat Perp, since the burglar/murderer/perpetrator is wearing a quasi-SWAT Team outfit.

<modsnip - NO NAMECALLING> I suppose that sounds a tad judgemental, but we did not want to dishonor/besmirch actual SWAT Teams with association of this looks like LARPing individual.

jmho ymmv lrr
Targeted or not, I’m having a hard time buying the LARP theory.

This person didn’t seem to be emulating anyone in particular or any game/show/movie in particular.

If they had specific gear that matched a game/TV character and tools that lined up with it, I might could believe it more.

To me, the getup was to keep forensics off, conceal identity, add protection, and add an element of confusion/debate point for LE with the embroidery.

If it was just a robbery and this person ran into Missy, the additional padding, vest, and helmet (along with lack of any type of loot bag) just seems like way too much for a robbery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed, @CoverMeCagney, and here we’re nearing 7 years next month since Missy’s murder and nothing, not a darn thing, no arrest, nothing… it’s a shame, imo.

Do we know if she had any additional setup to do inside?

For example, did she already have her inside setup complete the night before? Or did she have items to take inside to setup before the campers arrived?
I can only speak for my personal experiences with these types of camps. I’ve attended several, including Camp Gladiator and one that was held at a church. They are outdoor workouts. Anything indoors is very minimal: waiver paperwork/sign-in and bathrooms is the most that would happen indoors, even in bad weather. This seems to be confirmed by news reports and earlier posts on these threads.

I have never seen an instructor set up the night before for several reasons I can state here and possibly more. They are borrowing the space. Setting up the night before may infringe on Sunday evening services or other activities. It is their personal equipment and they wouldn’t want to leave it there unattended. Taking the time to set up the evening before each night of camp would be much less efficient than arriving a few minutes early and getting ready. In my opinion, no instructor would do that.

Jmo

I think the kitchen door entrance was the answer to "where can I get in" rather than anything strategic.

The issues were rain, visibility from the highway, and ease of access by the <modsnip - NO NAMECALLING> perp. There were 6 choices - NE, SE, N (kitchen), NW, W (main), and SW (breezeway).

IIRC there was extensive damage at the NE door, which was both sheltered from the storm and fully hidden. <modsnip - NO NAMECALLING> perp TRIED to enter there. However, like every entrance except the N (kitchen) one, the NE was secured by a double layer of doors that were locked, and the evidence was that <modsnip - NO NAMECALLING> perp was unsuccessful in getting past the double layer.

So what happened? IMO <modsnip - NO NAMECALLING> perp tried the NE, couldn't get past it, so opted for the kitchen door which was single layer. It had no rain protection, and it was somewhat visible from the highway - but it was only one layer. My conclusion has been that when it became apparent that breaching the double-entry door(s) wouldn't be easy, he went looking and found the kitchen door was a ONE layer barrier, and decided on gaining access by breaching that one instead.
If it happened like that (my memory fails), then SP couldn't have known this church so very well. But he seemed to know, that the outside surveillance wasn't in tact. Inside he started his sightseeing tour as we know - makes sense. He wanted to familiarize himself with the whole premises.

Last edited by a moderator:
police should look for someone who recently had knee or femur surgery. I am currently walking JUST like that ... had distal femur break in Oct and am still learning how to walk again ... I know that walk
Either before or after surgery, necessary because of a recurring sports injury. My vague feeling since years. MOO

I don't believe it was a targeted killing, BUT in keeping an open mind about this I still try to consider it. A couple of reasons why I have difficulty with a targeted murder. One is if it was a targeted killing, why break in at all? Just park out back, wait there around the corner and when she pulls up run up and just shoot the victim with a .22. They could where a mask or balaclava for good measure. Two, if they do break in wouldn't they want to find a room with a view of the entrance into the parking lot to see when she arrives? That way you could ensure she is arriving alone as well as getting into position. Of course, this all assumes criminals aren't dumb and they think logically.

If it happened like that (my memory fails), then SP couldn't have known this church so very well.
Someone posted a Ken Mains video in the thread a while back. Mains noticed something that is strong evidence that the perp was unfamiliar with the inside of the church.
There is a place in the security footage where the perp opens the lower half of a door and then the upper half. Mains is able to deduce from the perp's body language that the perp was not expecting the door to open that way (metioned at around the 10 minute mark).
But he seemed to know, that the outside surveillance wasn't in tact.
Could you explain that comment? I'm not seeing any evidence that he had any awareness of the outside surveillance one way or the other.
Inside he started his sightseeing tour as we know - makes sense. He wanted to familiarize himself with the whole premises.

Last edited:
Yes, but Missy was murdered in the Creekside Church of Christ. Churches of Christ are not rich churches by any means--not a single one of them are rich.
I agree that Churches of Christ and say, Missionary Baptist churches are not exactly "go to" churches for juicy collection offerings.

But...

We live in an increasingly secular nation. Plenty of people are not going to know "Church of Christ from Adam". Rather, they just equate churches with collection baskets- and possibly have a vague memory from child hood of people dropping what looked at the time to be copious quantities o' cash into those baskets.

Then factor in relativity (but not Einstein's). To many criminals of the drug addled sort, even relative loot is still loot worth getting and risking jail over. Thus, if the target is perceived as being easy, an attempt is going to be made to burglarize it.

Last edited:
That is another question, regardless of targeted or happenstance. The cameras. Did the killer know about outside CCTV? If so, did they know they didn't work or were they just lucky? I'm inclined to believe they were just lucky unless the minister put out the word not to leave valuables in vehicles due to inoperative outside CCTV. The inside CCTV - was that the reason for the disguise? What if this happened the next day and Missy wasn't there would we even be seeing these videos?

One is if it was a targeted killing, why break in at all? Just park out back, wait there around the corner and when she pulls up run up and just shoot the victim with a .22.
The "STORY" would be missing, which left LE conveniently in the dark about motive until now (probably). Might have been 100% calculated intention, that SP made up a story about some goofy burglar, who at one point unfortunately was terrified to death by a little woman.

I don't believe it was a targeted killing, BUT in keeping an open mind about this I still try to consider it. A couple of reasons why I have difficulty with a targeted murder. One is if it was a targeted killing, why break in at all? Just park out back, wait there around the corner and when she pulls up run up and just shoot the victim with a .22. They could where a mask or balaclava for good measure. Two, if they do break in wouldn't they want to find a room with a view of the entrance into the parking lot to see when she arrives? That way you could ensure she is arriving alone as well as getting into position. Of course, this all assumes criminals aren't dumb and they think logically.

1) Murdering Missy outside of the Church would assure that LEO would consider this murder to be a HIT on Missy because the killer would then be her known as her assasin. Couldn't take that chance.

Murder had to occur indoors as MB was setting up her class. She always used a sign in sheet. She went thru a spiel about spreading the word about Gladiators to the participants in order to encourage them to share it. There would be flyers available for them to share with their friends, etc.

2) Killer knew MB would be entering the main hallway via the SW corner due to the rain. In the cctv, we see the SP as they shine lights in the S hallway at the dbl doors leading into the auditorium across from the Dutch door.

Speculation: While in the auditorium, SP walks over to the Western doors and exits after MB passes by the door. Maybe this is the point in which she turns her head because she hears a noise of the door opening or maybe the SP called her name as SP approaches her when she reaches the NW corner off camera.

Fact: I visited this church in person to attend a Sunday service shortly after the cold-blooded murder and possess a passel of photos from the trip. (I've traveled to many CS including JonBenet Ramey's and Jessica Chambers' to name two others.) The auditorium doors leading into the W hallway have long slender windows in them. SP could watch as she passed by in the W hallway.

JMO based on facts of the case and studying it for 6 years.

My theory isn't getting a lot of traction.

I don't think it looks like a hit or a targeted murder because it left too much up to chance. Required Missy walking into his/her sights. No way to predict that.

But I don't think it was a burglary either. No burglaring. Barely any vandalizing.

I think it was staged burglary.

Interrupted by surprise.

By someone Missy either recognized (and could expose) or confronted (which became a do or die, die or be died).

If staged, why?

Why would someone want someone else (the church admin) to see (the appearance of) a burglary in progress, as recorded by CCTV?

When I come a crime story, I always ask myself: what was supposed to happen? How was it supposed to happen (if planned)?

If Missy canceled class, would she have been killed at another time and place?

If Missy hadn't come there at all and/or hadn't entered the church, what would have occurred?

The same slow motion break in, the same pitiful vandalizing. Would the perp have sauntered out? When? In 2 minutes? In 2 hours?

How would admin have reacted to the video upon viewing it?

I'm betting they did upgrade their security, in light of this--

IMO a potential motive all along.

Maybe Missy's murder wasn't supposed to happen....

Jmo

Last edited:
Just popping by to ask if i am the only one reminded of the Missy B killer, by the recent Nashville shooter?
Not suggesting it is the same person, but similar type, the way they are walking around looking goofy, complete speculation, imo.

Just popping by to ask if i am the only one reminded of the Missy B killer, by the recent Nashville shooter?
Not suggesting it is the same person, but similar type, the way they are walking around looking goofy, complete speculation, imo.
I see what you mean. I think that the perp in Missy's case could have been someone relatively young, inexperienced, and troubled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie