TX - Police respond to reports of shooter at Santa Fe High School, 18 May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, students around the country used a hashtag to respond to the Santa Fe High shooting and to advocate for gun control."#IfIdieInASchoolShooting politicize my death. It's not too soon to talk about guns. It's too late," wrote Sofie Whitney, a senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., where a student killed 17 people in February.

Zion Kelly is a high school student in Washington, D.C., whose twin brother was killedin an attempted mugging in September. "#IfIdieInASchoolShooting or any shooting, I want to be buried right next to my brother," he wrote

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...on-struggles-to-find-new-ground-in-gun-debate

Our children deserve better than this :rose:

I'd like to see them prosecuted with criminal charges including murder if a gun owner's registered weapon is used to murder someone. I think it's the only thing that might make "responsible" gun owners...be responsible.

As a responsible gun owner, I could support such laws. The law, however, would need to permit the totality of the situation to be examined. The simple fact that the weapon was used in a horrible crime should not lead to a conviction.

But, I do think if the gun owner showed say, gross negligence (ignored warning signs of violence, gave instructions on how to handle weapons to somebody with red flags, left weapons unsecured in the vicinity of somebody showing red flags etc,) they should be prosecuted.

I'm surprised Texas is one of the states which does not allow Life Without the Possibility of Parole for juveniles. If the crime had happened in Florida he could receive life without parole.

moo

Supreme court ruled juveniles can not be sentenced to mandatory life without parole. So apparently in response to that TX decided juveniles shouldn't be sentenced to life without parole.
"Since 2012, 28 states and the District of Columbia have changed their laws for juvenile offenders convicted of homicide (including felony murder). All but four had previously required life without parole in these circumstances. These new laws provide mandatory minimums ranging from a chance of parole after 15 years (as in Nevada and West Virginia) to 40 years (as in Texas and Nebraska). Thirty states still allow life without parole as a sentencing option for juveniles. In most states, the question of virtual life without parole has yet to be addressed."
https://www.sentencingproject.org/publications/juvenile-life-without-parole/

Isn't that how drug laws work in this country? Or any crime for that matter? If a person has money, they can get away with ALMOST anything. Poor people don't get a break.

Sadly, some people are always going to have an advantage in any human designed system. There is no real solution to the problem.

Even when money was taken "out of the equation" in some nations, special status was conferred to those defendants who were members of a certain political party. Then there was the concept of "senior member" verse "ordinary member". This corresponded to how active a person was and for how long.

sadly i dont think much is gonna change until the parkland age group gets older

unless they are like in the middle of the country most of that generation is repulsed by status quo

kinda like ciggs and drunk driving

it will take time

until then see you on the next thread, sadly

moo

Texas governor will hold first roundtable on school safety tomorrow

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/sa...estigation/h_cc1a8c38419b8f4d861c1cec2ac52217

Parents, teachers, students, lawmakers, school administrators and mass shooting victims were invited to attend the roundtables. The discussions will also include proponents for and against gun regulations.

oh eff em

thats all they do

is hold round tables

and start committees to review the committee's review of the committee as it relates to the committees committees review

that is all they know to do

it is a bunch of hogwash

congress needs term limits moo

As a responsible gun owner, I could support such laws. The law, however, would need to permit the totality of the situation to be examined. The simple fact that the weapon was used in a horrible crime should not lead to a conviction.

But, I do think if the gun owner showed say, gross negligence (ignored warning signs of violence, gave instructions on how to handle weapons to somebody with red flags, left weapons unsecured in the vicinity of somebody showing red flags etc,) they should be prosecuted.

I agree with you 100%.
I would also give up my guns if I thought it would stop this madness.

The Futility of Trying to Prevent More School Shootings
(Very detailed article on mental health, FBI profiling, psychopathy, bullying, security measurements, studies of different school shooters, etc.)
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/05/school-shootings-prevention/560753/

I think we need to try harder instead of using words like "futile". There are things that we can do. Many cities have implemented shot spotter technology which recognizes the sound of a gunshot and gets police to the scene faster than 911. I also know that there are alarm systems that dispense pepper spray. That might be enough to slow down a shooter inside of a building. And install metal detectors at all entrances. Schools could also install security fences with gates that only open with student ID badges. It's time to take some preventive measures. This has to stop.

next, we'll hear it wasn't him he was framed. I don't understand why they keep saying he is confused.

Poor young man. he was 'confused." Didn;t know what he was doing. Insane.

I don;t know how attorneys can vomit this garbage with straight face. it seems so dishonest and sleazy to me.

His client is a psychopath. he was up close and personal watching the effect of his executions, taunting his terrified victims before they were systematically executed.

He is a disgusting monster. Inhuman. Not insane. Just devoid of what it means to be human.

While I agree military and LE know well what they are signing up for, heroism happens at the human level, in action, maybe on the battlefield, on the street, or in a school.

It's so easy to arm chair coach after the effects...after the facts. Truth is, a life was saved.

And the other truth is for all the easy as pie, Clint Eastwood movie scenarios, arm the teachers no problem scenarios, scenarios, we will find the truth in Parkland, and Sante Fe prove contrary to the Hollywood script.

You can't armchair after the fact. An officer saving another is natural. Happens on the battlefield and every other scenario.

I'd like to propose something to the kids these days. Throw your "poutastic" social media into the river. Create a dance floor based on romance, not hook ups.

This generation does not know the magic of holding hands. When a man and woman, man and man, woman and woman, trans and trans just hold hands. Feel the electricity in that one gesture.

Take your makeup off, put your steroids and valium and coke, and pot on hold, ditch your bra and jock strap, put on a tee shirt and jeans, get your bare feet on, and just hold hands, and feel it.

At every romantic or otherwise meeting in my life, and I've been around the block, it starts with that electric moment.

No there's no APP for that. Thinking that's what's missing. Would love to see schools get back to that level of trust. And kids too.

That's a sweet post.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...urn-alive-family-mourns-slain-pakistani-stude

'We Were Expecting That She Will Return Alive': Family Mourns Slain Pakistani Student

attachment.php

I'm surprised Texas is one of the states which does not allow Life Without the Possibility of Parole for juveniles. If the crime had happened in Florida he could receive life without parole.

moo

What a beautiful girl. So tragic. And unnecessary.

Yes. It's horrifying.

Minnesota is a no fault as well.

Makes me think about the fact that laws in most states are strict liability when it comes to dogs. Your dog harms someone and you are responsible, no matter what. No matter if there was negligence on the other side, etc.

Why not for guns?

I think we need to try harder instead of using words like "futile". There are things that we can do. Many cities have implemented shot spotter technology which recognizes the sound of a gunshot and gets police to the scene faster than 911. I also know that there are alarm systems that dispense pepper spray. That might be enough to slow down a shooter inside of a building. And install metal detectors at all entrances. Schools could also install security fences with gates that only open with student ID badges. It's time to take some preventive measures. This has to stop.
I agree, it has to stop. And yes, you can have airport-like security checks for all schools. But then, what‘s next? Churches, office buildings, grocery stores?

I'm crying:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/IfIdieInASchoolShooting?src=hash

[FONT=&quot]boo‏ @Boo4Change May 20More

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]#IfIdieInASchoolShootingMy projects wont be finished. My boyfriend will be all alone. My parents will have lost another kid. Friends will be abandoned. Politicize my death. Make it mean something. Cover my grave with daisies and stuffed animals. I live to make a difference
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Estef #DouglasStrong‏ @estef4change May 20More

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]#IfIDieInASchoolShooting then my parents would have outlived their only child.

Michael Pincus‏ @michaelpincus26 May 20More

#IfIdieInASchoolShooting I will never graduate high school, get my driver's license, or go to Europe. I'll never finally learn how to ride a bike, I'll never drive on the Pacific Coast Highway, or see my brother again (he lives in New Orleans). I'll never get married.

presley leland‏ @depressedlypres May 20More

#IfIdieInASchoolShooting i will only become a statistic. i will never be able to go to college. my dog will always wonder where i went. i will become a hashtag. i will never be able to fight for my life again. please don’t let gun violence continue.

john barnitt‏Verified account @John_Barnitt May 20More

#IfIDieInASchoolShooting dump my body in front of the White House.

[/FONT]

Wait, what??

Spending more time with the youth of today might change our negative perception of them while mentoring them to become healthy, functional adults.

Respectfully (ya know I ❤️ ya, Rose) if all they have to learn from is each other and their newfangled gadgets, then we’ve failed them.

They’re begging us to protect them from being shot down like fish in a barrel. They’re not pouttastic. They’re asking adults (us) to be adults and protect them from needless slaughter. They’re innocents.

There’s no app for that, either.

They need us, not our judgment. IMO

Oh, I know you are right Et Tu...

It's just such an endless loop.

I fly off the rails in my frustration, but there is a profile in these mass shooters.

And how on earth there is inspiration in Columbine or the rest feels like a contagion.

I saw the mom bus driver who lost her daughter interviewed and was just bowled over by her strength. She's turning her grief into action contacting lawmakers and representatives. I don't know how people are holding it together.

And yes, our kids do need us. They need the adults to start doing the right thing. And it's multifaceted but it starts with the adults taking the debate and the politicizing for gain off the table. That losing kids comes in second to that debate is the epic fail.

I have my problems with where I feel society is right now, and each new generation is misunderstood on some level by the previous one, that's natural, so I guess I wonder how did we get here?

That loop, it's about more than any one element. And the same story is publicized over and over. Is that appeal in any shooters, bombers mind? The fame, the infamy? It's instantaneous now.

I agree, it has to stop. And yes, you can have airport-like security checks for all schools. But then, what‘s next? Churches, office buildings, grocery stores?

Theaters, libraries, outdoor concerts, hotel rooms, parades..............

Oh, I know you are right Et Tu...

It's just such an endless loop.

I fly off the rails in my frustration, but there is a profile in these mass shooters.

And how on earth there is inspiration in Columbine or the rest feels like a contagion.

I saw the mom bus driver who lost her daughter interviewed and was just bowled over by her strength. She's turning her grief into action contacting lawmakers and representatives. I don't know how people are holding it together.

And yes, our kids do need us. They need the adults to start doing the right thing. And it's multifaceted but it starts with the adults taking the debate and the politicizing for gain off the table. That losing kids comes in second to that debate is the epic fail.

I have my problems with where I feel society is right now, and each new generation is misunderstood on some level by the previous one, that's natural, so I guess I wonder how did we get here?

That loop, it's about more than any one element. And the same story is publicized over and over. Is that appeal in any shooters, bombers mind? The fame, the infamy? It's instantaneous now.

The last two school shooters who were captured alive, did not seem to be enjoying their infamy at court appearances. They looked like cringing cowards with their heads down and shoulders hunched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304