TX TX - The Texarkana Phantom, 1946

This article, which, from what I remember, has been substantially expanded since I saw it last, also mentions that a taxi cab was seen in the vicinity and time frame of the Booker/Martin Murders. I hadn't heard that before.

Somewhat interesting since Virginia Carpenter was last seen alive by a cab driver when she disappeared in 1948; a case some think may be a Phantom crime.

I spoke to an old timer years ago about this. He has since passed away. He said he was living here in the area back when the murders happened. He said he knew people that worked at the court house. And it was said that the Phantom Killer was the son of a county judge. When Texarkana police informed the judge that "Your boy did it again. What do you want us to do with him?" It was very soon after that the judge placed his son in a mental hospital (where he stayed until his death). All the curfew and night watches stopped. The cops knew the killer was put away for good. He also said the cops were instructed to destroy evidence, and they did. If you read on about it all - it is mentioned that evidence-- a Flashlight and something eles went missing.... Years later near one of the crime scenes, I read this somewhere---- some blood stained clothing was found and was discarded . Another story that is interesting is : My husband's Uncle lived near Spring lake park back then, and a man walked in his house naked with only a hood on...His Uncle yelled out to his lady friend to stay in the kitchen. He grabbed something to use as a weapon and the man in the hood ran out the door. This Was Never Reported. I never got to ask him about this because he was elderly and near death and passed away. But... I wonder how many more things like that went unreported!!

I spoke to an old timer years ago about this. He has since passed away. He said he was living here in the area back when the murders happened. He said he knew people that worked at the court house. And it was said that the Phantom Killer was the son of a county judge. When Texarkana police informed the judge that "Your boy did it again. What do you want us to do with him?" It was very soon after that the judge placed his son in a mental hospital (where he stayed until his death). All the curfew and night watches stopped. The cops knew the killer was put away for good. He also said the cops were instructed to destroy evidence, and they did. If you read on about it all - it is mentioned that evidence-- a Flashlight and something eles went missing.... Years later near one of the crime scenes, I read this somewhere---- some blood stained clothing was found and was discarded . Another story that is interesting is : My husband's Uncle lived near Spring lake park back then, and a man walked in his house naked with only a hood on...His Uncle yelled out to his lady friend to stay in the kitchen. He grabbed something to use as a weapon and the man in the hood ran out the door. This Was Never Reported. I never got to ask him about this because he was elderly and near death and passed away. But... I wonder how many more things like that went unreported!!

This is all incredibly fascinating and reminds me more than a little of Dr. Francis Sweeney, first cousin to congressman Martin Sweeney and alleged suspect of Eliot Ness in the Cleveland Torso Murders of the 1930s and 40s. He voluntarily committed himself to a VA hospital in Sandusky after being interrogated by Ness' team of investigators and spent the rest of his life in insitutitions.

Do you have any idea what year your unnamed suspect was committed? We're creeping up on 70 years after the Phantom was active, so surely further research wouldn't hurt the reputations of anyone still living.

I wished I knew... it might be difficult to trace though. My guess is look up county judges back at that time, but all things concerning mental persons would be sealed I imagine. It would be very helpful if someone's relatives that worked for texarkana police or court house back then had info, something say that was told to them giving the name of the suspect etc.......

It shouldn't be that hard to find out who did it. See what judges were on the bench then and who had sons who mysteriously vanished from public life.

Is there an unsolved murder case anywhere in this country where the son of a local bigwig is not rumored to be the suspect? It seems like every case discussed on this site has a mention of "coverup" or "hushed up"? I was involved in a case where a young man murdered two women but the case was not officially closed until forty years later. To my amazement local cynics accused LE of bowing to pressure due to the stature of the suspect and his supposed wealth. In fact the suspect was a tow truck driver.

I am only writing what I was told by an elderly man whom lived in this area back then.

In the movie The Town That Dreaded Sundown, a reporter asks the Texas Ranger about the killer being from a prominent family so this theory must have been around for a while even though it does seem a little far fetched to me. The film is highly fictionalized but the scene struck me as something they wouldn't have just completely made up-it's possible they could have though.

Guy by the last name, Sweeney was the best Suspect they came up with, however, in photos, he appeared to be tall and pretty thin. I seem to recall them thinking the Phantom was pretty strong

I am currently producing a documentary on these crimes. I have went to Texarkana and filmed several interviews. I am looking for others who may have thoughts on this case. This documentary will be a very complete look at the case. Please feel free to message me

I am currently producing a documentary on these crimes. I have went to Texarkana and filmed several interviews. I am looking for others who may have thoughts on this case. This documentary will be a very complete look at the case. Please feel free to message me

Can't wait to see it. Will you be working a suspect angle or will this be more of an overall, comprehensive look at the crimes?

I live in AR and grew up here, as did my whole family. At one point my grandmother (born 1922) , my mother (born 1944), and I talked about this case. They both said the general belief at the time was either the judge's son theory or someone that moved away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone catch the movie on the comet channel yesterday? I was dozing off, but I saw enough. And I saw the ending. This is the biggiest fail in law enforcement history! cant believe they didnt catch this guy. Then again, you could get away with alot back then. You had to virtually catch someone in the act.

In the film he was fighting the young men hand to hand. And would kill them with blows to the head.

In the movie The Town That Dreaded Sundown, a reporter asks the Texas Ranger about the killer being from a prominent family so this theory must have been around for a while even though it does seem a little far fetched to me. The film is highly fictionalized but the scene struck me as something they wouldn't have just completely made up-it's possible they could have though.

The ending certainly seemed so. If they shot him in the leg, they shouldve been able to get him. I figured that was made up, so the film wouldnt be so anti-climactic. It was still anti-climactic.

They definitely insinuated that it was someone inside of the law enforcement circle. Then at the end, they insinuated that he was still in town (going to a movie). smh...

Warning long read.

Bolded sections=possible ties to zodiac
Asterisks=suspect

Good morning websleuths hope you enjoyed independence day. There has been some new suspects in the texarkana case and one very promising lead that will be highlighted. I'll start with the least likely suspect the Atoka county man who on May 10th of 1946 in Atoka county Oklahoma assaulted a women in her home ranting that he might as well kill her because he's already has 3 or 4 victims & that he planned to rape her then he fled. There was a manhunt for the guy involving 20 police officers and 160 residents. 2 days later police arrested a man but didn't believe he was the suspect due to his story he could not have been the suspect.

Fair enough though I would've put him through some questioning before definitively ruling him out.

Then we have someone who went by the name of Sammie. It was a psuedonym given to a longtime texarkana resident with a good reputation who the police didn't want to name as a suspect because of reluctance. His vehicles tire tracks where close to where martin corpse was. He failed a polygraph exam so the police had him hypnotized by psychiatrist Travis Elliott. He concluded that Sammie had no criminal tendencies and that he had pulled his vehicle to the side of the road in order to urinate, and that he subsequently visited a married woman with whom he was having an affair with at the time concealing this caused Sammie to fail the polygraph test. Afterwards police verified the details and concluded that sammie wasn't a suspect.

Little bit of a funny story for you guys.

On May 7 a hitch hiker armed with a pistol carjacked and robbed a man who threatening to kill him stated that he had killed five people in Texarkana naming Martin and Booker. The hitchhiker told the man that he was not finished with killing people. Gonzaullas stated that police were doubtful that this man was the Phantom Killer noting how that the killer had gone to lengths to conceal his identity while the hitchhiker boasted to a living witness. There also was another hitchiker who threaten to shoot a motorist in kilgore texas confessed to the killings though it is unknown if this is the same guy.

Faceplam emoji* (In head, wow how stupid can you be I would've investigated ALL leads regardless of the differences.) Did they ever confirm he had a mask?

*A day later it was announced that an escaped german pow was being hunted by police as a matter of routine was considered a suspect. He was a stocky 24 year old man who weighed 187 pounds with blue eyes and brown hair. He had stolen a car in mount Ida Arkansas & attempted to buy ammunition in some eastern oklahoma towns. The police kept searching for the pow but he had disappeared into thin air never to be recaptured.*

I would eliminate earl mcspadden as a suspect because the same man was found in florida around 6 months later who had shot a couple named Elaine Eldrigde 24 and Lawrence O Hogan 23 where found dead without a single clue. Lawrence was crumpled beside his car and Elaine was found sprawled on the Beach several yards from where her mate was shot.

This is where we draw some similarities to the zodiac. Dr. Anthony Lapalla a psychologist at the Federal Correctional Institution in Texarkana stated during a newspaper interview that he believed the killer to be a white man between the ages of 30 to 50 years old. He also considered the killer to be motivated by a strong sex drive and a sadist while at the same time being a cunning planner and a clever, intelligent, shrewd and dangerous individual who remained at large.

The only thing I disagree with here is where he states the killers age being between 30 to 50 years of age because that contradicts what the police had stated on may 8th.

He also believed the killer knew at all times what was being done in the investigation as well as knowing that the lonesome roads were being patrolled as it would explain why he chose to attack the Starks home. He also added that the killer was planning to continue to make unexpected attacks such as that of Virgil Starks on the outskirts of town.

He also believed that it was the same man who murdered all 5 residents and that such criminals in some instances will divert attention to other distant communities where it is believed the crimes are committed by a different individual or manage to overcome the desire to kill and assault women.

That last part is false when referring to his desire to stop killing because of the florida shooting. This is a stretch but with moving all over the place is it possible that the zodiac's description of being a drifter correlate to what was being said here and that with overcoming his desires he couldn't keep it at bay for too long leading to his sadist behavior and zodiac murder spree?

He also believed that the murderer could have been leading a normal life appearing to be a good citizen. He also said the killer wasn't a veteran or else his maniacal tendencies would have been apparent while on duty. The Phantom was not necessarily a resident of the area despite his knowledge of it as he could well have been a resident of another community whom acquainted himself with Texarkana's surroundings. Due to the strenghtening of police force the killer would willingly leave because of the difficulty of committing a crime in those circumstances. The Phantom may have also reasoned in past crimes that the only way to remain unidentified is to kill all persons at the scene.

Where he states he wasn't a veteran that shoots down the los angelos war vets claim. The only thing I disagree with here is that he would have been unfamiliar with the area despite knowledge of it that is 2 contradictory statements in the same sentence it's either one or the other. though going off of the may 8th report I would lean more towards the former than later but that he had learned after the first go around to not leave any victims alive so as to not be caught.

Now it is time for my personal thoughts All in all I think Anothony Lapalla has some very interesting leads while some of his points fit suspiciously well others can be outright refuted due to other legit claims. There was los angelos war veteran who was discharged for being a psychoneurotic and confessed he could've done it because he was in a coma and the story was convincing to the police although I doubt it because there is NO WAY you could be that smart while in a coma. I DO think it is the german pow who was never recaptured as his whereabout are unknown. So how do we identify this man? Suggested course of action look into german american pow records in the texas/Arkansas area and hope that they kept records of who was in custody and who escaped. The flashlight that was never identified, has anybody looked into german flashlights that where used at the time? I also find it very coincidential that the zodiac also used a flashlight. Could this phantom also had been studying astrology? The very last thing I would like to point out is that in the 340 cipher he mentions he has killed 37 people if we combine the phantom murders, the florida shooting, the nevada killing and the california murder spree we come to 15 dead 4 survivors so then who are the other 22?...

Rocket fuel ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited:
Wow, finding a thread for the Texarkana Phantom was a lot more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Then again, it's an incredibly old cold case so it's understandable why there wouldn't be [m]any updates or continued discussion. (If there's a larger thread for this case, please redirect me!)

I never really dove into this case until I saw The Town That Dreaded Sundown, which I now consider one of my favorite "horror" films of all-time despite its numerous inaccuracies. Nevertheless, I still think about the case all the time and wonder if Youell Swinney was really the one responsible. His photograph is so awkward, so vulnerable; in a way, it's hard to believe that he could've been such a ruthless killer—but that's simply not how psychopathy works, nor can you assess a man from a photograph alone.

On a real though, the whole pillowcase mask thing is pretty 10000% terrifying.

Any Sleuths want to join us live tonight as we dive into the Phantom case??

Our panel includes a Criminologist, a DNA expert, and a retired homicide detective. We'd love to hear your theories and ideas regarding this mysterious case

Join us live tonight Tue May 16 at 9PM Eastern as we dive into this fascinating case. You can take part via one of the following places-

via or Facebook homepage:
Citizen Detective Podcast
or in our Facebook group:
Citizen Detective Podcast Discussion | Facebook
On Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSgvqIuf4-sEF2aDdNGip2w
On Twitch:
On Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CitizenDPod
Leave us a voicemail any time, or send in your questions:
Send a voice message to citizendetective

Members online