Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by los2188, Nov 25, 2016.

1. OutWest

OutWest Well-Known Member

I agree inmyhumbleopinion. Spot on. One of the most suspicious irregularities in this case has been the attitudes and actions (and inactions) of "local" law enforcement personnel. Their apparent bitterness and resentment toward the family of Tom Brown and their ongoing refusal to even consider that evidence and circumstances indicate any possibility of foul play is astounding, to say the least. I will point out once again that for months the LE narrative was that Tom secretly left with some phantom "older man" that he met online. A number of Tom's friends and family were actually interrogated under that theory. He was secretly living in California .... or Denver .... or wherever. Then, once remains were discovered, their theory was obviously embarrassingly wrong. So, the narrative then became that his death was by suicide. In order to "fill some logic gaps" in the suicide theory, the narrative expanded; family members covertly hid the body while going to great efforts to point toward others. Really? Based on what we know about the case, do we not see how bizarre and irrational these theories are, especially in light of the fact that the mere mention of homicide arouses emotion and anger among some?

No person is any more pro-law enforcement that myself. But in reality, there are a few (small percentage) who enter that profession for the wrong reasons (this applies to any profession). It is very disturbing that ex-Sheriff and some local LE allowed themselves to become so grossly adversarial and confrontational toward the family of a person who died under obvious suspicious circumstances. There is no excuse for such behavior in this case. A classic example of how uncontrolled egos can manage to shift focus totally away from what should be the common objective. Or maybe it goes deeper than uncontrolled egos. I don't know.

Since the time that the investigation was finally turned over to the Texas OAG, I hope that the AG investigators are truly conducting their investigation in a thorough and professionally unbiased manner. They are probably the last hope for Tom's family to learn the true facts, whatever they may be.

2. inmyhumbleopinion

inmyhumbleopinion #NeverGivingUp

Extremely well said, OutWest. What Penny represented, quite simply, was the right thing to do. Yet, at every juncture, local LE kept looking the other way, or even doing the opposite. I’ve followed the case since the beginning, and as you said, it has been downright bizarre.

As far as Philip Klein goes, I’m not his biggest fan, but in this particular case, I’m really not sure if the case would have gotten where it is today without his involvement, so IMO, ultimately, Penny has made the right decision in retaining him.

I have so much respect for the woman, seriously. I don’t know if I could trust anyone ever again if I were to experience something similar.

3. OutWest

inmyhumbleopinion, I agree with your points. When I try to put myself in Penny's place during the late November 2016 timeframe when NL was bouncing between run-away and suicide (depending on who he was talking to), then returned the vehicle only hours later that same day unprocessed for forensic evidence despite some blood and a spent cartridge case ..... I too would have seen red flags. I too would have searched for a PI to act as an intermediary to investigate on my behalf and keep me informed. If not for Penny Meek's tenacious efforts the case would have been long forgotten and never investigated by any agency. But HCSO folks did not expect her tenacity. I agree with you on your assessment involving Klein. IMO, much of what is known today would have been covered forever if not for Penny seeking the help of a PI, in this case Klein. Example: items recovered during the organized search along Lake Marvin Road. That search happened 11 months after Tom disappeared; it would not have ever happened if left up to the sheriff.

4. inmyhumbleopinion

inmyhumbleopinion #NeverGivingUp

Yep. That’s exactly what I’m talking about.

5. nannymo

nannymo Well-Known Member

I have so much respect for Penny.........and even when the phone was found, she and Klein were suspected and accused of planting it......why would they do this?? I am so hopeful the AG will get something accomplished when the GJ meets.

6. jellybean96

jellybean96 Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone above....so many red flags and so much would be left undone if it weren't for Penny and Klein (more so Penny).

7. kelsie

kelsie Well-Known Member

This is such a well-written post and I truly couldn't have said it better myself. I personally am not particularly pro-LE, but those feelings are more-so regarding street cops. I do think most detectives/sheriffs care about the majority of missing persons and homicide cases. However, this case has been mishandled to a point that I really do not think I have ever witnessed in my 10 years of researching missing persons (only in my twenties).

If there is anyone hanging around this thread that could explain the suicide angle to me, I'd be happy to hear it. However, as you said perfectly, there are LOGIC GAPS in the suicide theory. Massive ones. It doesn't make any sense.

I find myself racking my brain for what Tom or his family could have possibly done to make the sheriff's office have such disdain toward them. Regardless of whatever happened to Tom that fateful November night, his family in no way deserves the sort of treatment they've received. I can't even imagine . I'm at a loss. I've never seen such a huge disconnect in a sheriff and the truth of a case. The sheriff's department has helped little more than a schoolyard bully. I can't understand; I can't come to grips with the lack of help provided. I also am consistently shocked by the insinuations the sheriff's office has placed cruelly as a thorn crown or a scarlet letter on Tom and his family in the small town of Canadian, even after Tom was found dead and their theories are needing to be... reworked at the very least. There must be so much we do not know regarding the personal relationship dynamics at play here.

I can't imagine the previous teenager shenanigans that Nathan Lewis thought he was catching could affect this entire situation this badly, no? That wouldn't make sense. But then again, nothing about this case does.

Side note:
    The Moms4Tom FB group hasn't posted since November 2020.

SBM, BBM

8. OutWest

For those of you that are following the Suzanne Morphew case in Colorado, an arrest has been made nearly a year after she was reported missing. As per the LE press release there was no "sudden evidence break through" in the case. Instead, the arrest was based on many hours of investigative work and the resulting accumulation of evidence ..... some of which obviously hinged on a number of misleading statements and unusual actions on the part of the husband that did not match up with the known timelines and other physical evidence.

Case in point, investigators typically have a lot more undisclosed information than what is know by the general public. Any persons with culpability in the Tom Brown case should continue to have great concern and worry about what investigators actually know ..... and when the "shoe will drop".

9. OutWest

I agree @kelsie. It is very strange to see LE cultivate an adversarial, confrontational, and personally demeaning relationship with the victims of a crime that they are sworn to serve and protect. Actually, it could be considered by some to be rather suspicious in nature.

As you say, nothing about this case makes sense. (but there are answers out there somewhere .....)

Regarding your side note ..... I too have noticed the same. Probably just letting things quiet down in view of the pending GJ.

10. adobewalls

adobewalls Member

Having lived in several small towns in the area of Canadian, I would like to talk about the culture of raising kids in these small towns. The kids are considered everyone's responsibility and are loved and supported and disciplined by parents, school teachers, churches, neighbors and yes even law enforcement. Considering that Tom was raised in Canadian, he was very well known and I am sure the community was aware of his accomplishments and yes of even some of his struggles but he was of the family of Canadian, Texas and believe me that means a lot. I say all of that to say this, it is incomprehensible that LE handled the fact that Tom was missing in such a reckless and
    uncaring manner. I dare say that LE I am familiar with in this area would not have slept until they had turned over every stone that day and every day thereafter until they got some answers about Tom. After all, he was family. It would not matter if it was Thanksgiving. One of their own was missing. I know that I have been so troubled by the actions of LE in this case that I have missed sleep. Heaven help anyone that is not coming forward with the truth about Tom.

11. OutWest

Ditto. I grew up in the same area as well; same experience that you describe.

Kittybunny, Bethan, kelsie and 4 others like this.
  12. jellybean96

jellybean96 Well-Known Member

No, Moms4Tom hasn't posted, but Justice for Tom (a sub page of Moms4Tom) posts regularly.

13. niikkee

niikkee Member

IMO Klein has done more to hurt this case than help solve it. He is without a doubt incapable of being a “professional PI”. His comment that he was the “Ray Donovan of Texas” had me laughing my ass off.

I do also have trouble understanding Penny’s comment that she would not be able to accept Thomas being gay, although I don’t think he was.

I don’t know what happened to Tom. What made me even get involved in this situation is the moms4tom group calling Sheriff Lewis a murderer. He might be an ass and he might have handled things incorrectly, but labeling and calling him a murderer just didn’t seem right.

kelsie and AbbeyBabbey like this.
  14. niikkee

niikkee Member

Has it ever been addressed as to where Tucker was and exactly what was going on with him at the time this happened?

15. OutWest

He was at his home with a friend while waiting for Tom to arrive home. Shortly after midnight he made a phone call to Tom as well as sent several texts to Tom, none of which Tom responded to. Phone carrier records would reflect such activity.

16. OutWest

It is my position and my opinion that none of this case relates to the totally hypothetical question regarding whether or not Tom was gay or whether or not his mother would accept him as such. She always provided her best guidance, yet with unconditional love toward family regardless of issues. I believe that she would do the same in any circumstance. BUT, this case is about what happened to Tom .... not about his mother's faith based beliefs.

17. Crimescenetape

Crimescenetape Well-Known Member

I think Penny's statement is more about believing a sheriff's take on her son's sexual orientation with no other reasoning behind it. I think a mother would have her suspicions in hindsight. If the gay/suicide theory had merit. Interestingly enough, and if I remember correctly, Tom and his girlfriend had just broken up. The girlfriend was also one of the last people to text him before he "went missing." Someone cannot shoot themselves, bleed and clean up, then walk off, scattering their possessions to die resting under a tree. That is what we are to believe. Too bad for law enforcement Penny was not willing to accept their farfetched stories. As usual, my opinions only.

18. OutWest

@Crimescenetape, you said it very well. The "local" LE did not expect that Penny would be able to mount such a publicized quest for the truth. IMO, they expected that the story would shortly die and be forgotten forever, just as many "missing" cases across the nation are forgotten. The response from the former Sheriff and his enablers has been one of extreme resentment toward her and her family. Very unusual. One must wonder "why?". Maybe there are simple answers, or maybe not. I don't know.

19. nannymo

nannymo Well-Known Member

I feel the resentment toward Penny and her family is more toward the fact that she is bringing negative light on the perfect little town of Canadian. It is a typical small town in Texas (I've lived in one before), that wants everything and everybody to keep the "bad stuff" under the rug. Penny can not and will not until she can find out what happened to her son. I don't blame her at all.

And as for the comment she made about Thomas being gay, go back and listen to that part again. She did not say she could not accept it.....she said she would talk with him and guide him as to why she feels it is wrong. That comment I feel has been taken totally out of context and blown out of proportion. I think Penny has always been up front and honest in this entire case......not so for NL tho.

20. Crimescenetape

Crimescenetape Well-Known Member

I don't know what Tom's plans were for after graduation. Was he accepted to his dream school and looking forward to college life? If that were the case, many college students are pretty accepting of alternative sexual lifestyles (for lack of a better term. I am not up to the politically correct lingo). I don't think being gay would be the depression/suicidal or scandalous issue it is being made out to be especially if you plan on leaving behind his hometown for other things. I do agree with your take on sweeping the bad stuff under the rug. Also, Tom may have been a Son of Canadian, but there are other prodigal sons of Canadian. When two sons are at odds, sides are taken. A less tenacious mother would pack up and move to another town instead of fighting small town law enforcement and paying a PI what is I am sure a tidy sum.