Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5th episode of KXDJ's series featuring former state investigator Crain aired last week. The episode is available on Soundcloud.

Listen for yourself. Just IMO, the session was 1 hour+ of a re-cap describing many of the antics, missteps, and seemingly irrational comments made by Klein over the past several years. Many persons following the case were already aware of these apparent credibility issues. Nothing really new there.

However, Crain's last statement is very interesting. Listen for yourself.
I'm not one for podcasts. Could you, or somebody, put the last statement on here to read?

Outwest, don't you think if LE had an immunity agreement, someone would have been charged with something by now?

<modsnip - quoted post was removed for TOS violations>

As much as some wish to make this about Klein Investigations it is NOT. It is about Tom Brown.

No one has disputed the fact that there was an incident earlier with Lewis. A complaint was lodged with two different LE agencies.

January 4, 2017

Some here have stated that the house was not searched, but as can be seen from various reports the house was in fact searched as per Lewis himself. It was as well stated that no evidence of foul play was found and that they believed this was a runaway. This was just over a month after the disappearance of TB.

This was not just one report, this was reported in various outlets.

Again on January 4, 2017

According to Hemphill County Sheriff Nathan Lewis, all evidence authorities have collected indicate that Brown left Canadian willingly.

They found NO signs of foul play or assault.

<modsnip - referencing removed post>

I cannot discount the TCOLE investigation in which it was documented that NL did not document details of this disappearance for close to TWO years. Not MONTHS but YEARS.

<modsnip ->
Poor forensics? Lets be real here. There were no forensics performed the first day. There is no dispute the vehicle was returned the same day it was found. As a parent who did not believe my child ran away, I would immediately hire someone to investigate. You may not LIKE whom they chose. I ask instead what would of happened with this case if they had not of hired one?

This post by @inmyhumbleopion:

Well (from 8:50 am / Nov. 26, 2016) ... :(:

"During an 8 am briefing at the Hemphill County Law Enforcement Center, Sheriff Nathan Lewis reported that a fresh team of dogs had been brought in yesterday and immediately picked up Browns scent. They tracked it east about 3/4 of a mile before running into water, where the hounds lost the scent and were unable to proceed." (BBM)

<snipped by me>

"Sheriff Lewis noted that Brown has likely been out for two very cold nights without warm clothes and could be in distress."

<snipped by me>

"'We have a missing person,' Sheriff Lewis said. 'He could be suicidal. We have indications from friends and family, and from an Instagram message he posted the day before he went missing.' Lewis said Brown did have a cell phone in his possession, but placed his last call at 12:23 am Thursday morning. The cell phone was then turned off and has not been on since." (BBM)
The Canadian Record

Sometimes, when you go back to the start you find gems like the post above that states not only the time of the call, but the fact that the phone was "turned off", not that it died from a low battery.

Tom Brown was fanatical about keeping his cell phone charged. He would not of turned it off, nor would he of let that battery die.

I have much more I could add here, to include a newspaper article which I am certain had a picture of Tom Brown pumping gas. I have gone back and looked to the extreme, but that picture is no longer in that article. Thus I must state it is IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as some wish to make this about Klein Investigations it is NOT. It is about Tom Brown.

No one has disputed the fact that there was an incident earlier with Lewis. A complaint was lodged with two different LE agencies.

January 4, 2017

Some here have stated that the house was not searched, but as can be seen from various reports the house was in fact searched as per Lewis himself. It was as well stated that no evidence of foul play was found and that they believed this was a runaway. This was just over a month after the disappearance of TB.

Again on January 4, 2017

According to Hemphill County Sheriff Nathan Lewis, all evidence authorities have collected indicate that Brown left Canadian willingly.

Lies by whom? It is very convenient to pick the so called "LIES" from one side rather than the other.
Some may believe the family/Klein is not telling the truth, while others believe that there are discrepancies from the investigators point of view.

I cannot discount the TCOLE investigation in which it was documented that NL did not document details of this disappearance for close to TWO years. Not MONTHS but YEARS.

Some wish to state that Penny Meek was mentally ill because she gave a child up for adoption. This is ludicrous. I am the adopted parent of both my children and I can guarantee that the Bio parents gave great thought into their decisions. I find that statement to be insulting to say the least.

Poor forensics? Lets be real here. There were no forensics performed the first day. There is no dispute the vehicle was returned the same day it was found. As a parent who did not believe my child ran away, I would immediately hire someone to investigate. You may not LIKE whom they chose. I ask instead what would of happened with this case if they had not of hired one?

Let me pick apart some of the so called "LIES".

First I don't believe that the phone was found on the day of the search. I believe LE had that phone from day one. Why you ask?

"During an 8 am briefing at the Hemphill County Law Enforcement Center, Sheriff Nathan Lewis reported that a fresh team of dogs had been brought in yesterday and immediately picked up Browns scent. They tracked it east about 3/4 of a mile before running into water, where the hounds lost the scent and were unable to proceed." (BBM)

<snipped by me>

"Sheriff Lewis noted that Brown has likely been out for two very cold nights without warm clothes and could be in distress."

<snipped by me>

"'We have a missing person,' Sheriff Lewis said. 'He could be suicidal. We have indications from friends and family, and from an Instagram message he posted the day before he went missing.' Lewis said Brown did have a cell phone in his possession, but placed his last call at 12:23 am Thursday morning. The cell phone was then turned off and has not been on since." (BBM)
The Canadian Record

Sometimes, when you go back to the start you find gems like the post above that states not only the time of the call, but the fact that the phone was "turned off", not that it died from a low battery.

Tom Brown was fanatical about keeping his cell phone charged. He would not of turned it off, nor would he of let that battery die.

I have much more I could add here, to include a newspaper article which I am certain had a picture of Tom Brown pumping gas. I have gone back and looked to the extreme, but that picture is no longer in that article. Thus I must state it is IMO.
I agree that when a person looks back and reviews what they know about the case, they can be reminded of a number of important events, circumstances, and “coincidences”. You have provided several points that have apparently not been considered by the likes of radio guest Crain; possibly because such points inconveniently blur his intended narrative.

You mentioned the phone battery. Early Apple 6s phones had defective batteries that were known to deplete their charges rapidly as well as have sporatic voltage fluctuations. Some people purchased the cases with high capacity battery instead of sending the phone back to Apple as per the recall. That may be the reason that Tom owned such a battery case(?). Yes, I find it highly unusual that, IF the high capacity charge case was actually attached, the high capacity case battery would completely discharge after only 6 hours. I actually used to have a 6s phone. The phone would operate normally at times. At other times it would show low battery then shut off. I could immediately restart it and the battery level would show high. Sometimes the screen would blank or inadvertently switch applications. Once Apple replaced the battery, the unit operated flawlessly. I'm only saying that battery defect problems may have contributed to false forensic indications, if the defect issues were not also considered. I don't know, just my thoughts.

On the very first day Sheriff Lewis and followers immediately began pointing to either suicide or run-away while totally ignoring the presence of a spent 25 ACP shell casing lying in the passenger side floorboard with no gun found at the location AND no body. Under those circumstances (upon initial arrival at the scene), wouldn’t an investigator logically conclude that homicide was a strong possibility, at the very least? But never any mention of such. Never. Very, very strange. Granted, the presence of a spent shell casing is not solid proof that a firearm was used but the possibility CANNOT logically be ignored … but it was. So, the Durango was not forensically processed prior to being returned to the family that day. (of course, approximately 1 year later a handgun carrying case was found discarded along LM Road along with other related evidence .... another coincidence?).

Ok, still some possibility of suicide but with no gun and no body there would have to have been involvement by another person. Very uncommon in suicide cases but possible, I guess.

There is also the two years spent chasing a ghost in Denver despite no real evidence of such. Bizarre. But that has been discussed in a number of earlier posts.

Of course, we know of the missing CCTV recordings at the two most critical locations. No other CCTV recording from other locations are “missing”. Coincidence? Then, AOG reports that the Fronk tech suddenly had a lapse of memory regarding the CCTV segment that he initially stated he personally delivered to Sheriff Lewis. Another coincidence?

It seems important to note that there has been no public disclosure of any statements made by Tracey Sargent. Officer Sargent is a very highly regarded dog trainer who has been involved with searches for 30+ years across the United States and various international locations. It would be interesting to learn what she has to say regarding her experiences with the case ….. but no known statements (publicly).

There has been no public disclosure regarding statements made by family friend TR who was at Tom’s house during the time that everything happened. He also accompanied TuB during the initial search. A direct witness …. but no known statements (publicly).

Too many questions remain for me to make any judgement ......

January 4, 2017

Again on January 4, 2017

Lies by whom? It is very convenient to pick the so called "LIES" from one side rather than the other.
Some may believe the family/Klein is not telling the truth, while others believe that there are discrepancies from the investigators point of view.

Some wish to state that Penny Meek was mentally ill because she gave a child up for adoption. This is ludicrous. I am the adopted parent of both my children and I can guarantee that the Bio parents gave great thought into their decisions. I find that statement to be insulting to say the least.

First I don't believe that the phone was found on the day of the search. I believe LE had that phone from day one. Why you ask?

<snipped by me>

<snipped by me>

The Canadian Record

The first reports indicated that Penny and Tucker met with the deputy on their front porch. It was cold outside yet they stayed on the porch and talked. Mr. Meeks was not present for this meeting as he was apparently inside sleeping. If the house was searched, it wasn't done that night.

When the truck was found, Imo, they may have thought that was the scene of the crime, or the location where TB went missing. No reason at that time to search the house.

I agree that when a person looks back and reviews what they know about the case, they can be reminded of a number of important events, circumstances, and “coincidences”. You have provided several points that have apparently not been considered by the likes of radio guest Crain; possibly because such points inconveniently blur his intended narrative.

You mentioned the phone battery. Early Apple 6s phones had defective batteries that were known to deplete their charges rapidly as well as have sporatic voltage fluctuations. Some people purchased the cases with high capacity battery instead of sending the phone back to Apple as per the recall. That may be the reason that Tom owned such a battery case(?). Yes, I find it highly unusual that, IF the high capacity charge case was actually attached, the high capacity case battery would completely discharge after only 6 hours. I actually used to have a 6s phone. The phone would operate normally at times. At other times it would show low battery then shut off. I could immediately restart it and the battery level would show high. Sometimes the screen would blank or inadvertently switch applications. Once Apple replaced the battery, the unit operated flawlessly. I'm only saying that battery defect problems may have contributed to false forensic indications, if the defect issues were not also considered. I don't know, just my thoughts.

On the very first day Sheriff Lewis and followers immediately began pointing to either suicide or run-away while totally ignoring the presence of a spent 25 ACP shell casing lying in the passenger side floorboard with no gun found at the location AND no body. Under those circumstances (upon initial arrival at the scene), wouldn’t an investigator logically conclude that homicide was a strong possibility, at the very least? But never any mention of such. Never. Very, very strange. Granted, the presence of a spent shell casing is not solid proof that a firearm was used but the possibility CANNOT logically be ignored … but it was. So, the Durango was not forensically processed prior to being returned to the family that day. (of course, approximately 1 year later a handgun carrying case was found discarded along LM Road along with other related evidence .... another coincidence?).

Ok, still some possibility of suicide but with no gun and no body there would have to have been involvement by another person. Very uncommon in suicide cases but possible, I guess.

There is also the two years spent chasing a ghost in Denver despite no real evidence of such. Bizarre. But that has been discussed in a number of earlier posts.

Of course, we know of the missing CCTV recordings at the two most critical locations. No other CCTV recording from other locations are “missing”. Coincidence? Then, AOG reports that the Fronk tech suddenly had a lapse of memory regarding the CCTV segment that he initially stated he personally delivered to Sheriff Lewis. Another coincidence?

It seems important to note that there has been no public disclosure of any statements made by Tracey Sargent. Officer Sargent is a very highly regarded dog trainer who has been involved with searches for 30+ years across the United States and various international locations. It would be interesting to learn what she has to say regarding her experiences with the case ….. but no known statements (publicly).

There has been no public disclosure regarding statements made by family friend TR who was at Tom’s house during the time that everything happened. He also accompanied TuB during the initial search. A direct witness …. but no known statements (publicly).

Too many questions remain for me to make any judgement ......
I agree with many of the points you have posted.

The iPhone has had multiple and well documented issues. At first I thought it was possible he was using a wireless Qi or similar like I do. They were initially infamous for not quite connecting properly, thus the battery died quickly. Although the technology has improved, you must ensure that the the battery remains connected to it. Then Penny stated herself that she had the charger, thus that thought process was less probable unless he was using two like I do. One stays in the home, the other in the vehicle.

Everyone has been concentrating on what they did release in Tom's case.
What no one is questioning, save for yourself and a few others is what was not released.

It was apparent early on that they were not pursuing all avenues. I give little credence to the documentation released as much of that was selective in nature and was IMO released to serve a different purpose. I won't go into my thoughts on the information they did release, but I am highly critical of many things from Hemphill right up to the AG's office.

TR is indeed a direct witness to some very crucial time frames. The 25 caliber bullet is another important piece to this puzzle.

They stated early on that the dogs tracked his scent to the river. If this was indeed the case then by their own admission, it rules out any involvement with respect to the family. Most do not realize how marsh like that area along the Canadian river is, or how long it would take an individual to walk that distance in those conditions.

There was one comment from Klein that did pique my interest and that was he regretted staying with the Webbs. This was during their town hall presentation. It made me question how much information was relayed to that family by Klein.

I paid close attention to how both Brown from the Canadian record, and Chris Samples conducted themselves during that town hall. They were not impressive in the least, and in fact ignored some critical information.

Tracy Sargent is well respected as well as professional and would doubt that any thing documented by her would be released. That is just how professionals are suppose to operate.

No matter how I try, I just cannot fit in a scenario that includes suicide. I have always felt whatever happened started at that gas station.

This is just my opinion.

January 4, 2017

Again on January 4, 2017

<snipped by me>

<snipped by me>

The Canadian Record

BBM

Leney!!!!! Thank you! I too SWEAR I saw that picture early on. I have looked in every thread, online and everywhere for that photo! I can see it in my mind! TB was standing towards the rear of his car....it was a small picture, not close up. The camera was in front and to the right of Thomas. His car was on the other side of the gas pumps. (In other words, the gas pump was on the outside. He looked to be facing the front of the car towards the rear.) Is that close to what you remember?

I just cannot wrap my mind around Mom having anything to do with this.

Thank you for your post!

BBM

Leney!!!!! Thank you! I too SWEAR I saw that picture early on. I have looked in every thread, online and everywhere for that photo! I can see it in my mind! TB was standing towards the rear of his car....it was a small picture, not close up. The camera was in front and to the right of Thomas. His car was on the other side of the gas pumps. (In other words, the gas pump was on the outside. He looked to be facing the front of the car towards the rear.) Is that close to what you remember?

I just cannot wrap my mind around Mom having anything to do with this.

Thank you for your post!
Your description is much as I remember it.
The pumps were on the outside.
It appeared to be zoomed in but taken at a further distance? Not certain on that aspect.
It seemed to be taken at ground level. Since the terrain is elevated at the gas station, it is possible I suppose that a security camera took it from the other location which is lower than the gas station he was at. Why a security camera would be pointed in that direction I have no idea.
I assumed but could be wrong that the picture was taken at ground level.
Tom was either behind or to the side, slightly bent over as he was filling gas.
I am uncertain whether he was looking towards the front of the vehicle or the pump itself.
He was not standing straight up.
The picture was not fuzzy; it was very clear.

Your recollection appears to be the same as mine so I am going to gather we both saw the same picture from that newspaper article. I simply can no longer find it.

This is the best I can remember and thought nothing of it till NL stated that a picture did not exist.
IMO et al.

Regarding the photo …… PM stated during an interview (Unfound) that NL told her that the photo came from the Dollar General CCTV. Some months later it was learned/realized that there are no exterior CCTV cameras on the Dollar General building. So ….. IF NL actually had produced a photo showing Tom pumping gas, it would then be very difficult to explain where the photo came from. Uh-oh. Such a circumstance would necessitate that the photo immediately be destroyed along with the CCTV recording inside the DG Store that pointed easterly through the front glass toward the parking lot and US-60 (2nd Street).

OAG investigators state that they were unable to find such a photo in any of the HCSO systems or devices that they reviewed. Whether the photo actually existed or not ….. if no such photo is ever found, then from an evidence standpoint it never existed.

Attached are some Google Earth street view photos of the location.

Attachments

• DG - Fronk fron DG.jpg
    DG - Fronk fron DG.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DG - Fronk view.jpg
    DG - Fronk view.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DG alley view.jpg
    DG alley view.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 21
Regarding the photo …… PM stated during an interview (Unfound) that NL told her that the photo came from the Dollar General CCTV. Some months later it was learned/realized that there are no exterior CCTV cameras on the Dollar General building. So ….. IF NL actually had produced a photo showing Tom pumping gas, it would then be very difficult to explain where the photo came from. Uh-oh. Such a circumstance would necessitate that the photo immediately be destroyed along with the CCTV recording inside the DG Store that pointed easterly through the front glass toward the parking lot and US-60 (2nd Street).

OAG investigators state that they were unable to find such a photo in any of the HCSO systems or devices that they reviewed. Whether the photo actually existed or not ….. if no such photo is ever found, then from an evidence standpoint it never existed.

Attached are some Google Earth street view photos of the location.
Thanks for posting these. After consideration, the photo could not of been taken from that CCTV, unless they had a state of the art security camera. The photo appeared to be much closer and I would think a different angle.

My first impression was that it was taken from a parked vehicle as it was not blurry.

I thought it odd at the time as I wondered why on earth someone would take a photo of someone pumping gas, and that individual then goes missing.

The newspaper should have a copy of it. I know it was from one of the first articles I read on this topic so that would of been very early on in the case.

I don't believe the OAG investigators at this point in time.

What I remember was the middle photo. The car was on the inside. The picture was taken at a different angle......it was from further up the road, to the left, looking back at Fronk's. Someone suggested I could be thinking of the re-enactment photo from one of the shows, but my memory says it was before any shows were ever produced about Tom. I just wrote it off to me not remembering correctly. If we both remember the same scene, I feel like we are remembering the same photo.

I personally think we will never know what happened. This case touches my heart.

ADMIN NOTE:
This thread has been temporarily CLOSED for review of posts that may have violated the Websleuths victim/family friendly Terms of Service. Members should take time to review Websleuths‘ policies regarding victims. FAMILY MEMBERS are considered victims also, unless/until they are officially named as suspects or POIs.

Check back later today to see if thread has reopened.

ADMIN UPDATE:

It has taken the better part of the entire weekend to comb through pages of posts on Thomas’ thread to clean up the violations of the Terms of Service. Dozens of posts were removed for violating the WS rules THAT EVERYONE IS EXPECTED TO KNOW and FOLLOW. Even MORE had to be removed because they quoted and replied to the violating posts. It is impossible to know for sure if all of the violations were removed, but I did my best to uphold the intentionally strict Terms of Service of Websleths, that allows us to enjoy the reputation as the gold standard of true crime discussion forums.

THIS thread will permanently stay closed to break this troubling cycle of defying the TOS THAT WE ALL AGREED TO FOLLOW WHEN JOINED THIS SITE.
A NEW thread will open later this evening.
I will post here when it is ready.

UPDATE: The new thread is here and now OPEN for discussion.
TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016 #4

PLEASE NOTE - THE LINK ABOVE IS NOW WORKING.
I apologize for the confusion of a non-working link.
Please let us know if there are any further concerns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members