TX - Trial of Robert Durst in the murder of Morris Black

I could smell the sweet rich aroma through the TV set. LOL :)

Yeah, back in my day, it was a pretty big hobby I had. Not anymore these days, but I still wonder some day I may move to Colorado and pick up the hobby again. LOL

A nice little baked goods place?

O/T but this is hysterical: http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-girl-scout-sells-cookies-pot-clinic-20140221-story.html

Girl Scout sells cookies outside pot dispensary: 117 boxes in 2 hours

...On Monday, Danielle Lei and her mother set up shop outside the Green Cross store with the cookies. With the store's blessing, Lei sold 117 boxes in two hours.

Holli Bert, a spokeswoman for the Green Cross, said that after just 45 minutes, Lei had to call for backup cookies to replenish her stock.

"You put it in terms that they may understand," Lei's mother, Carol, told Mashable. "I'm not condoning it, I'm not saying go out in the streets and take marijuana. It also adds a little bit of cool factor. I can be a cool parent for a little bit."...

:laughcry:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/25/n...brings-a-tremendous-sense-of-relief.html?_r=0

In 1994, after years of talking to himself and urinating in the wastebaskets at the family office, Robert was removed as the successor to his father, Seymour Durst. In his place, Douglas was installed. Robert walked out of the office without notice one day and cut off most contacts with his family.

In recent years, Douglas said, he has been particularly concerned for the safety of his eldest daughter, Anita Durst, the head of an arts organization.

“Bob seemed to have some fixation on her,” Douglas Durst said. “She had events in the city where he would show up.”

From the link:

Twice in the intervening years, Robert turned up in the driveway of Douglas’s home in Westchester County, at least one time carrying guns; he was also recorded making reference to a series of dogs named Igor that died mysteriously, saying he might have to “Igor” Douglas.

Ugh!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-navarro/making-sense-of-the-jinx-_b_6928024.html

But what the public saw and heard with Mr. Durst, is well-known to investigators. This is not a confession per se but rather what we call a "cathartic utterance." These often take place when a suspect or interviewee is left alone by an investigator or polygraph examiner and they think they are not being recorded. They will say things such as, "God, I can't believe they found my fingerprint;" "At least they haven't found the gun;" "If they search my garage I'm screwed."

In essence, the courts recognize that a statement that is uttered without contemplation or forethought, extemporaneously in the moment, should be considered at trial because people are known to say things impromptu that can implicate them.

Joe Navarro is a Former FBI Special Agent and the author of Dangerous Personalities (Rodale).

http://t.today.com/news/woman-who-dated-robert-durst-tells-their-time-together-2D80569155

"We started down the street, and he said, 'Oh, I forgot I've got two guns in the back seat, so Michael don't touch the guns,''' Zevallos told Stephanie Gosk. "I was absolutely shocked."

Zevallos, who was recently divorced, said Durst was a good listener and told her about Susan Berman, a friend of his who was later killed in her home. Durst has denied any involvement with her murder.

From the link:

Twice in the intervening years, Robert turned up in the driveway of Douglas’s home in Westchester County, at least one time carrying guns; he was also recorded making reference to a series of dogs named Igor that died mysteriously, saying he might have to “Igor” Douglas.

Ugh!

Yikes!

Linda Zevallos, Who Once Dated Robert Durst, Sensed 'Something Was Wrong'

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ro...ted-robert-durst-sensed-something-was-n329646

Yikeser!

https://www.theknot.com/content/robert-durst-wife-deborah-lee-charatan-wedding

He proposed with a $77,000 engagement ring.

According to The Jinx, when Durst suspected that the Westchester, New York, District Attorney's office was going to reopen the murder case of his missing wife Kathie in 2000, he bought a $77,000 engagement ring and "proposed" to Debrah. (A little context here: Our recent real weddings survey suggested that the average cost of a wedding in 2014 was a little over $31,000. That's over $40,000 less than this engagement ring!) When she accepted his proposal, he gave her power of attorney.

https://www.theknot.com/content/robert-durst-wife-deborah-lee-charatan-wedding

He proposed with a $77,000 engagement ring.

According to The Jinx, when Durst suspected that the Westchester, New York, District Attorney's office was going to reopen the murder case of his missing wife Kathie in 2000, he bought a $77,000 engagement ring and "proposed" to Debrah. (A little context here: Our recent real weddings survey suggested that the average cost of a wedding in 2014 was a little over $31,000. That's over $40,000 less than this engagement ring!) When she accepted his proposal, he gave her power of attorney.

I may be wrong, but I thought the power of attorney came right after SB's murder.

In the summer of 2002, shortly before his trial for the murder of Morris Black began, Durst granted Charatan power of attorney. In that document, reviewed by Newsweek, Durst granted her traditional powers such as control of his real estate transactions, tax matters, claims and litigations. In a supplementary division to the power of attorney, Durst’s lawyer added that Charatan had the “power to make gifts in any amount and from time to time to such individuals (including Debrah Lee Charatan) and organizations as my attorney-in-fact determines.” In other words, she was granted the power to gift Robert Durst’s money to herself and/or to companies she owns.

http://www.newsweek.com/shadowy-history-robert-dursts-real-estate-holdings-314764

Kathie Durst was in medical school. In the last episode they noted that she talked a lot about the cadavers she had to practice on. Maybe he learned the how-to of it from her, and then "practiced" (shudder at the thought) on all the dead Igors.
Hi. Still making my way thru the thread. Sorry if this has already been posted.
Douglas states here that RD had several malamutes that all disappeared.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/0...-family-has-critic-his-brother.html?referrer=

....Bob had a series of Alaskan Malamutes, which is like a husky,” Douglas Durst said. “He had seven of them, and they all died, mysteriously, of different things, within six months of his owning them. All of them named Igor. We don’t know how they died, and what happened to their bodies.

“In retrospect, I now believe he was practicing killing and disposing his wife with those dogs.”

This is a new article from Vanity Fair:

Robert Durst’s Brother Thanks The Jinx for Leading to Arrest

Douglas Durst said the family feels “a tremendous sense of relief.”
BY KIA MAKARECHI

In his first interview since the arrest of his brother Robert Durst, Douglas Durst said that the Durst family is pleased that Robert is in police custody and will face murder charges in the death of Robert’s former best friend, Susan Berman.

“There’s just a tremendous sense of relief,” Douglas Durst told The New York Times.​

More...

Be sure to look at the photos and be sure to follow the link to the Holes in The Jinx Buzzfeed article

I have become very interested in Durst's attorneys, specifically in Dick Deguerin. I understand he is a highly respected attorney in Texas and with just a little bit of research and reading, I can see why.

This January 1994 article from the Texas Monthly is a highly recommended read:

The Great Defenders

HOW DID NATTY, FLASHY DICK DEGUERIN AND HIS QUIET, DETERMINED BROTHER, MIKE, BECOME TWO OF THE BEST LAWYERS IN TEXAS? BY LEARNING EVERYTHING THEY COULD FROM THEIR MENTOR, THE LEGENDARY PERCY FOREMAN.

by ROBERT DRAPER
JANUARY 1994

"“Man, does he ever need a lawyer.” Dick DeGuerin thought this last March as he stared at the image of David Koresh on the television screen: a 33-year-old misfit holed up in a compound known as Ranch Apocalypse, surrounded by an army of federal agents. To DeGuerin, a man comfortable with his reputation as Texas’ best criminal defense attorney, that first notion led quite naturally to a second: “He needs me.”

Unbeknownst to DeGuerin, the same thought occurred to another great lawyer thirty years ago, prompted by the misdeeds of another Texas misfit. After witnessing Lee Harvey Oswald’s murder on television, Percy Foreman announced to the press, “I go where I’m needed most. And right now, I can’t think of anyone who needs my services more than Jack Ruby.”"​

Link is to the 7 part article, or if you prefer, go to the bottom of the article and change your view to see the whole article at once.

And, this much shorter, newer article in the Houston Business Journal on Dick DeGuerin:

Face to Face Dick DeGuerin

Criminal defense attorney | DeGuerin & Dickson

Dec 9, 2011, 5:00am CST

Deon Daugherty
Senior reporter-Houston Business Journal

"What lured criminal defense attorney Dick DeGuerin from the lush hill country of Austin to Houston was the same thing that attracts many others to the Bayou City — he needed a job."

+

"For the past 18 years, DeGuerin has shared that experience with law students at his alma mater, teaching advanced criminal defense based on his previous cases.

The carpet in his office at The Republic Building on Preston Street is not a deluxe deep blue; in fact, it’s closer to the earth tones seen in far west Texas, where DeGuerin likes to fly his Cessna 206. But his representation of Branch Davidian cult leader David Koresh before he died in the Waco blaze, scoring a victory for accused murderer and millionaire cross-dresser Robert Durst and defense of conservative Texas GOP politicians Tom DeLay and Kay Bailey Hutchison arguably makes DeGuerin one of the state’s most successful criminal defense attorneys. He spoke with HBJ reporter Deon Daugherty about his career — and bullies in the justice system."​

More...

Another attorney (who represented Durst in The Jinx) is Chip Lewis, who I am just beginning to research. (And, not being that impressed with the little I have found so far on his background.)

And, I think Durst is not that impressed with him either at least as it concerns his future.

Where Does the Robert Durst Case Go From Here?
By Ester Bloom

"Durst was represented by legal counsel during the filming of The Jinx; his lawyer Chip Lewis even appears on camera in some of the episodes. After the finale, Lewis spoke to a triumphant Jeanine Pirro on Fox News and claimed to be “underwhelmed” by Durst’s muttered bathroom confession. Durst himself seems to understand the trouble he is in. He has again retained high-priced Texas attorney Dick DeGuerin, the man who managed to get Durst acquitted of murder under sensational circumstances once before. DeGuerin is also the man who, in an interview on The Jinx, compared the American justice system to a car dealership. Some people can only afford jalopies, he said, while others get the luxury treatment."​

More...

Just watching All Good Things now.. Realizing they are not using the real names? Seems odd but okay.. Just started. Can not wait to see where it goes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back