TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

5/30/22

“Our focus on Tuesday is on our families who lost loved ones," McLaughlin said in a statement provided to USA TODAY. "We begin burying our children tomorrow, the innocent victims of last week’s murders at Robb Elementary School."

Arredondo led the law enforcement response to the Tuesday mass shooting at Robb Elementary School and prevented officers from confronting the gunman for more than an hour, according to Texas authorities, raising further questions about whether lives could have been saved. Nineteen students and two teachers were killed.

It was not immediately clear if Arredondo would be sworn in at a later time, or if it could be done privately. He was one of three council members scheduled to be sworn in Tuesday.

5/30/22

The gathering for 10-year-old Amerie Jo Garza was at Hillcrest Memorial Funeral Home in Uvalde, Texas, directly across from the grade school where the children, along with two teachers, were shot to death on Tuesday before the gunman himself was killed. Visitation for another 10-year-old, Maite Rodriguez, was at the town’s other funeral home
It appears that the funeral homes and families have worked together to make sure none of the funerals clash. That’s so lovely.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Since SR purchased the guns and ammo on different dates, it wasn't clear to me if SR used the same or a different form of payment for each weapon. Allegedly, SR worked at Wendy's just long enough to make his gun purchases and quit. MOO

ETA - add link.

CNN reviewed one Yubo direct message in which Ramos allegedly sent a user the $2,000 receipt for his online gun purchase from a Georgia-based firearm manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:

"With House Bill 99, we're trying to get schools here in Ohio another option of school safety," the freshman lawmaker said. "I think House Bill 99 is a great answer and a great tool for schools here."

After a school shooting in 2016, a district in Southwest Ohio decided to allow some of its teachers to be armed. Madison Junior/Senior High School parents sued and the Ohio Supreme Court sided with them, saying state law says teachers must have extensive peace officer training (Peace Officer Basic Training Academy that is approved by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission, or OPOTC) or 20 years of experience as a peace officer

The sponsor of this bill has a personal connection. His father was the School Resource Officer at an Ohio school that experienced a school shooting in 2016.

During session, Hall shared a personal connection with a school shooting. On February 29, 2016, Hall’s father and Madison High School’s only armed school resource officer, chased a school shooter out of the building after firing at students. The offender was later arrested.

“I will never forget the feeling I had or the phone call from my mother on that day,” said Hall. “The lives of many families, including my own, in my hometown of Madison Township, will never forget that day.”

I'm actually puzzled by so many LE agencies responding. Had the Border Patrol participated in their school shooter drills?
I would say probably not.

But.... the Border Patrol maintains SWAT teams (BORTAC) that would be trained in a variety of high risk scenarios including hostage taking, high risk drug stops, arrests of dangerous suspects, counter sniper, and quite possibly rampage shooters on federal property.

As a result, a Border Patrol SWAT team would be trained to deal with a school shooter, even if they had not trained for that directly.

As a side note, the Border Patrol also prides itself on maintaining its Old West heritage regarding marksmanship for all agents. Their pistol qualification course is the most difficult in the Federal government and their agents are said to fire far more rounds in training than any other federal agency, including the sexier FBI and DEA.

Last edited:
If you look at Robb Elementary's Facebook, you will see photos of lunch tables in an area with risers on the floor (i.e., group photos), a stage, and stage curtains that are in an open area just off the entrance/exit. IMO, the wing to classrooms 111 and 112 intersects at this open, common area.

I think it's plausible that Robb has a newer auditorium as OP describes but this aged multipurpose auditorium/lunch area as the witness provided seems to be in what appears to me to be the older, first school building closest to the fence where SR entered. MOO

This is how lunchrooms were in all the elementary schools in my city were. Presentation sin the lunch room with the stage and then at meal times it was a lunch room

Since journalists most likely aren't working today we'll have to wait to find out. These are important details though.
Ultimately the SR the gunman is to blame, we can blame a teacher for leaving a door propped open but that seems to be a human error which is forgivable just was the worst timing ever.
Who expects in a quiet small town a mass shooter? I know all schools should expect it by now though.
But blame ultimately falls on the shooter.
I do feel other factors lead up to this exact moment that could have prevented all of it, but it at this point is too late.
It's the moment a child is born if he has loving parents, schools who intervene with bullies, etc...

But I digress, yes why didn't he have his radio on him? was he, even onsite or did he drive off? why wasn't an SRO officer posted at each school? At least one per school?

I don't know if schools intervene in cases of bullying. There appears to be a high standard as to what constitutes bullying. Jose Reyes, was a 14 year old student at Sparks Middle School in Sparks, Nevada when he went to school on October 21, 2013 with a semi-automatic handgun. He shot two students and killed a math teacher who tried to wrestle the gun away from him. He left two quasi-suicide notes detailing the bullying he had endured. He was repeatedly called gay, stupid, a r****d, had money stolen and accused of peeing his pants at school. He appeared to suffer from depression and perhaps a form of autism.

According to Murderpedia:

"Police learned one of the students shot during the rampage had teased Reyes about not having muscles during a physical education class, had called him names and may have played a part in pouring water on him when he was accused of wetting his pants.

The mistreatment didn't rise to the level to merit bullying charges, Allen said."

Maybe it's just me but if teachers are aware that a student has been targeted for abuse like pouring water on him and being teased unmercifully about urinating in his pants at school then I don't know what constitutes bullying. I am aware that sometimes intervening in situations where children are targeted by others can exacerbate the situation. But teachers aren't only teaching they are there to monitor the behavior of children that reveal aspects of how situations can erupt. Jose Reyes committed suicide at the age of 12 because school became a war zone for him. In a war you try to kill your enemies. It's very sad that he felt his fellow students were his enemies and the teachers were their enablers.

One of these sweet irreplaceable little souls was a Toronto Blue Jays fan? :( This breaks me.

Their coffins are having custom designs of what was meaningful to them in life, and one has my home city’s baseball team.
1654013517147.jpeg
Image from video at link:

We’re honoured that our team brought you some happiness and we are mourning you, your classmates and teachers.

All night long I’ve looked at accounts of children pinned down in their classroom, hiding behind stage curtains, crawling over jagged glass to leave their rooms. And questions too: why didn’t LE shoot the gunman through the windows? I don’t know what to believe right now. I’ll have to wait for the investigation like everyone else. The truth will come out. MOO
Agreed ; and I'm not sure what to think.
Why not shoot through the windows to stop the gunman ?
And if I remember correctly, wouldn't LE have had what I'd label 'battering rams" to break through the doors ?
Not sure what those devices are called these days.

Why wait for a key to be produced ?
This was an emergency situation !

One of these sweet irreplaceable little souls was a Toronto Blue Jays fan? :( This breaks me.

Their coffins are having custom designs of what was meaningful to them in life, and one has my home city’s baseball team.
View attachment 347124
Image from video at link:

We’re honoured that our team brought you some happiness and we are mourning you, your classmates and teachers.
Thanks for the image/video.

Just little babies. :mad: :(

I don't know if schools intervene in cases of bullying. There appears to be a high standard as to what constitutes bullying. Jose Reyes, was a 14 year old student at Sparks Middle School in Sparks, Nevada when he went to school on October 21, 2013 with a semi-automatic handgun. He shot two students and killed a math teacher who tried to wrestle the gun away from him. He left two quasi-suicide notes detailing the bullying he had endured. He was repeatedly called gay, stupid, a r****d, had money stolen and accused of peeing his pants at school. He appeared to suffer from depression and perhaps a form of autism.

According to Murderpedia:

"Police learned one of the students shot during the rampage had teased Reyes about not having muscles during a physical education class, had called him names and may have played a part in pouring water on him when he was accused of wetting his pants.

The mistreatment didn't rise to the level to merit bullying charges, Allen said."

Maybe it's just me but if teachers are aware that a student has been targeted for abuse like pouring water on him and being teased unmercifully about urinating in his pants at school then I don't know what constitutes bullying. I am aware that sometimes intervening in situations where children are targeted by others can exacerbate the situation. But teachers aren't only teaching they are there to monitor the behavior of children that reveal aspects of how situations can erupt. Jose Reyes committed suicide at the age of 12 because school became a war zone for him. In a war you try to kill your enemies. It's very sad that he felt his fellow students were his enemies and the teachers were their enablers.

This is ghastly!

It is also completely, and I mean absolutely completely, the antithesis of what would have happened in my school, and diametrically opposed to the reaction I or any teacher I've ever known would have had to this treacherous bullying situation.

ANY teacher I have EVER known has interceded in far less injurious situations than water being poured on a child. Even when we learn about verbal bullying, it is all hands on deck to address the situation.

Counselors are brought in, parents and guardians are brought in, mediation is attempted, we have had the local police precinct in annually to make presentations and answer questions regarding bullying and its consequences, we have assemblies with psychologists and other people in the field to address these situations school-wide, we have anti-bullying campaigns, and most significantly we strive for a culture where students feel free to "tell."

Yes, when students tell us ways in which they feel bullied, they do often fear that things will get worse for them. We have steps to follow in order to assuage that fear. We intervene even in incidents that take place when the students are on the way home from school, as they are still considered under our care until they reach home. (Most NYC students walk to school or take a city bus once they are middle school aged).

I have personally spent countless hours over a quarter of a century ameliorating these incidents, as have my colleagues, and that was even before the existence of social media. Of course that made things worse, because now kids could torment another even when they were safely home.

Of course we couldn't extinguish every situation, but no one, no one, would ignore it, overlook it, or treat it with nonchalance.

My own daughter was bullied when she was 10 and in 6th grade by some girls who locked her in a bathroom. I was at the school the next day, and the assistant principal suspended those girls and installed school aides to keep watch outside every bathroom.

If a child would go so far as to pour water on a child, I'm sure the police would have been called in, with the bully's parent or guardian, and they would have been either arrested for assault or some other LE intervention, depending on a host of factors.

I daresay all the teachers on WS feel the same and would react the same.

JMO and experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members