TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022 #3

Main points & some excerpts:

First, no one picked up on the many signals from the shooter of his potentially horrific intent.

Second, school officials grossly violated control of access to the building.

Third, despite the shooting going on outside, no lockdown was signaled inside the school.

Fourth, and probably most telling, no one mounted an effective response onsite.

There must be a system that we call
“crawl” (talking individual teachers through necessary actions in their classrooms),
“walk” (slow-going drills that are evaluated and critiqued), and
“run” (full-on drills that add some stress factors such as speed and noise).

Administrators must ensure that this is done, both when the system is initiated and on an ongoing basis. These actions find weak spots and build reflexive responses that move fast and with positive effect. If you don’t execute the plan, it’s guaranteed not to work.

All the mistakes still could be “rescued” by initiative and courage. Sadly, that was missing also. The response collapsed completely.

We must learn from Uvalde.

Implementing the four steps of
Preemptive Actions,
Access Control,
Securing Classrooms, and
Effective Response can help now.

Last edited:
Mom who saved sons from Uvalde gunman claims she is harassed by cops

Mom who saved sons from Uvalde gunman claims she is harassed by cops

The latest allegation comes as no surprise to me given the recent hearings and desire to catch the news wave.

Two sides to every story--but for now, it's the old news where one Uvalde LE is her friend, saving her from the US Marshall, and then you're under the bus.

As to the latest allegation, the prudent person experiencing harassment by LE or others calls 911, not the DM. But there's a lawyer now directing the steps of the subject. I don't understand having time for such versus living with gratitude that your beautiful children are safe -- especially when other parents are in such despair, truly struggling. MOO :rolleyes:

Did anybody follow UK Sarah Everard case? I've been thinking about the Metro Police Commissioner that stepped down in Feb after she lost the confidence of the public and others. I'd really like to see all of these Investigations also result in some serious, screening protocols implemented to prevent another "Arredondo" from sliding into another police position. I'm sure it's naive of me to think the police unions would be supportive here. MOO

Pete Arredondo is resigning from the Uvalde city council following calls for him to step down amid questions about how he responded to the Robb Elementary shooting

"The grandmother of the Uvalde school shooter has been discharged from the hospital more than a month after he shot her in the face before killing 19 children and two teachers.

Celia Gonzales, 66, was released from University Health in San Antonio on Tuesday after being admitted on May 24 after Salvador Ramos, 18, shot her. The grandmother and grandson reportedly fought over a phone bill.

'My mom was shot in the face and left to die alone in her home by her very own grandson,' Gonzales' daughter, Natalie Salazar wrote on a set up to raise money for the numerous 'major surgeries' her mother needs.

'It was by the grace of God that she was able to get up off the floor and walk to a neighbors home and ask for help.'

Salazar posted an update on June 22, revealing that her mother was going to a skilled rehab facility 'due to the high-risk infection she has contracted' and would be on 'strong antibiotics.'

'Her insurance will only cover some of the costs. After the infection has cleared is when they'll resume with surgeries.'

She has since been discharged."

Last edited:
July 2, 2022

[,,]

The Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District placed Arredondo, the highest paid law enforcement official in Uvalde County, on administrative leave on June 22.

Arredondo earns about $90,750 annually, according to a recent salary study by the Texas Association of School Boards. Uvalde County Sheriff Ruben Nolasco’s salary is set at $77,915, and Uvalde Police Department Chief Daniel Rodriguez’s earns $87,401.60 a year.

[,,]

"The grandmother of the Uvalde school shooter has been discharged from the hospital more than a month after he shot her in the face before killing 19 children and two teachers.

Celia Gonzales, 66, was released from University Health in San Antonio on Tuesday after being admitted on May 24 after Salvador Ramos, 18, shot her. The grandmother and grandson reportedly fought over a phone bill.

'My mom was shot in the face and left to die alone in her home by her very own grandson,' Gonzales' daughter, Natalie Salazar wrote on a set up to raise money for the numerous 'major surgeries' her mother needs.

'It was by the grace of God that she was able to get up off the floor and walk to a neighbors home and ask for help.'

Salazar posted an update on June 22, revealing that her mother was going to a skilled rehab facility 'due to the high-risk infection she has contracted' and would be on 'strong antibiotics.'

'Her insurance will only cover some of the costs. After the infection has cleared is when they'll resume with surgeries.'

She has since been discharged."

I have a lot of empathy for Celia Gonzales. For most, a grandmother is forever the last standing for the fallen, that one person who can manage to find the smallest shred of good in somebody like the shooter. There was no cure or rehabilitation for Ramos psychopathy. MOO

July 1, 2022

Teacher Arnulfo Reyes was inside a Robb Elementary classroom when the Uvalde shooting began. He was repeatedly shot and spent more than a month in the hospital. Now, he's recounting what happened.

5 min audio and transcript at the link.

Reyes lost 11 of his students to the shooter on May 24. Also, Chief Arrendondo is his cousin -- I'd not read that before. They've not talked since.

REYES: I wish that he would have said, I'm going to go in there because that's my family. But he didn't.

As I hear the sound of fireworks all around me tonight, I’m thinking of the Uvalde survivors, and how terrifying the sounds of a traditional 4th of July celebration must be to them. Praying for all of them tonight, and hoping they are either far from the sounds, or managing to cope with them if they must be nearby.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but isn't this like blaming the passengers when a plane crashes into a mountainside?

I can't get past the question of who was in command and was that person qualified to lead in a crisis such as an active shooter inside a school!

IMO, that answer is the school district police chief-- a division and position that was created specifically for a crisis of this nature.

And no, in hindsight, Arrendondo truly was not qualified for the position of police chief for a school district.

From the moment he made the conscious decision to remove not one but both of his police radios from his person, BEFORE entering the building, Arrendondo had a responsibility to step down and hand over the incident commander duties to the first, responsible, capable, and willing officer. Arrendondo's actions at that moment clearly demonstrated to me that he no longer possessed the instinct required for this job. IMO, the chief was in over his head. Fear overcame him.

Everything published thus far tells us the policies and procedures, training manuals, etc. adopted by agencies across the land place the jurisdiction's incident commander at the top.

Today, I'd really like for Chief Arrendondo to explain specifically why he didn't think he was the incident commander for an emergency at a facility directly in his jurisdiction.

Who did he think was in charge when he got out of his vehicle?
When he entered the building?
When he instructed others-- contemplating a mutiny-- to stand down?
Who? Please tell us.

I'm profoundly sad for every one of these first responders-- including Chief Arrendondo, that they had to live this horrific experience but nobody heals until the top dog is accountable. MOO

ETA: Recent reports show the position of school district police chief is the highest-paid position in law enforcement in Uvalde. I think much was expected of the individually filling these shoes -- the children of the community were being placed in the hands of the successful candidate.
Tragically, I think small-town politics got in the way of hiring the best-qualified person for this job.

Missed Chances to Stop Uvalde Shooting Detailed in New Report​

Review of Uvalde school massacre finds missed chances, says police should have found way "to stop the killing and dying"​

This was just posted and contains that entire report as pdf embedded in the article. It is 25 pages and includes pictures and diagrams.

Very informative and gives a lot of information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back