TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

The gunman, who was wearing body armor and had hinted on social media of an upcoming attack, crashed his car outside the school and went inside armed, Sgt. Erick Estrada of the Texas Department of Public Safety told CNN.

A Border Patrol agent who was working nearby when the shooting began rushed into the school without waiting for backup and shot and killed the gunman, who was behind a barricade, according to a law enforcement official speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about it.
Gunman was a coward! All armoires up for slaughtering babies

Powerful and moving speech. Hope it elicits some change :(

There are solutions other countries have found that would reduce these types of massacres of innocents. Ask any of us who are from the UK, Australia, Canada, NZ, etc. However, the will of the people has a lot to do with implementing those solutions.

A first move to provide for the protection of students in public school would be to harden the points of entry. Move the offices and secretarial staff from the often direct path inside the front doors.

Install strong entry doors and bullet proof glass. Create a foyer with a second set of strong entry doors and bullet proof glass. Hire two dedicated and heavily armed guards to handle all entries therein. This would be similar to Prisons and Courthouses, and a few other hardened facilities in the United States.

Once inside the main lobby of the school, all corridors to the classrooms, the classrooms themselves, and the offices should also have strong, locked, entry doors with bullet proof glass, only accessible by an electronic entry system manned by select office staff.

All ground level windows should be of bullet proof glass. If it's good enough for the Presidential motorcade, is it not good enough for our children? What amount of money should we spend to protect them while they are in school anyway?

Strict policies and procedures need to be in place to keep all other access doors to the building locked at all times during the school day. Entry and exit for gym class, and any other reason one can fathom, should be done only through the front lobby.

Of course, the time of student arrival, and departure, then becomes the logistical nightmare.

No amount of armed LE presence can guarantee safety. Not at school, or anywhere else in the United States. However, strong LE presence when the busses roll in, and when they depart at the end of the day would be helpful.

In this incident, if the school had a hardened main door entryway, this killer would most likely never have gained entry. In fact, in most school shootings, the killer enters through the main lobby doors.

I wonder if public school officials would consider the students worth the immediate investment to put these protective measures in to place?

I have 20 years of experience in public school. I was one of several trained in intruder/lockdown drills. I was a member of our response team and we had strict procedures in place. We worked with local LE, who also did live drills in our building. I wonder if this school did the same.
My employer has taken many of these precautions (insurance industry) to protect its adult employees. Perhaps we should consider for our children and educators.

A suspect is in custody after a shooting incident at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, left at least two dead and injured 14 people, including students, authorities said.

What Why. This has to stop!

So did he engage with the police before he went in or not? Seems to be some confusion out there on that.
Not clear yet if he engaged. This article contains a possible video of him entering the school.

This video from the scene emerged on Facebook. Some believe it shows the gunman entering the school. “What my girls just sent me this is at Robb. Prayers for the kids and staff,” wrote Elsa G. Ruiz, who shared the video on Facebook.

"Risking their own lives, these Border Patrol Agents and other officers put themselves between the shooter and children on the scene to draw the shooter’s attention away from potential victims and save lives," Espinosa added. "At least one Border Patrol Agent was wounded by the shooter during the exchange of gunfire. On-and-off duty Border Patrol Agents arrived on the scene to assist with transferring students safely to their families and providing medical support."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong