TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article on security measures used in schools in the Uvalde School District.

Texas mass shooting: Uvalde school district had security measures in place prior to tragedy

Those proponents include four officers, including a chief, a detective and two officers within the school district; partnerships with local law enforcement agencies; security staff that patrols door entrances and parking lots at secondary campuses; case managers and social workers on UCISD campuses; licensed counselors; threat assessment teams; social media threat monitoring; a visitor management security system; canine detection services; motion detectors and alarm systems; perimeter fencing at Robb and other schools; security vestibules and outside buzz-in systems; security cameras; a locked classroom door policy; staff and student training; and a threat reporting system.

The district states that it uses a service called Social Sentinel "to monitor all social media with a connection to Uvalde as a measure to identify any possible threats that might be made against students and or staff within the school district."

Article on security measures used in schools in the Uvalde School District.

Texas mass shooting: Uvalde school district had security measures in place prior to tragedy

Those proponents include four officers, including a chief, a detective and two officers within the school district; partnerships with local law enforcement agencies; security staff that patrols door entrances and parking lots at secondary campuses; case managers and social workers on UCISD campuses; licensed counselors; threat assessment teams; social media threat monitoring; a visitor management security system; canine detection services; motion detectors and alarm systems; perimeter fencing at Robb and other schools; security vestibules and outside buzz-in systems; security cameras; a locked classroom door policy; staff and student training; and a threat reporting system.

The district states that it uses a service called Social Sentinel "to monitor all social media with a connection to Uvalde as a measure to identify any possible threats that might be made against students and or staff within the school district."

and still, it wasn't enough, if only something else could be done to prevent guns from getting into psychopaths' hands.

HOW did he just walk in - are the doors not locked for safety?
That is a question that will need to be answered. Doors should have been locked, but apparently were not. My kids are in school and for the most part their school security is very good. Doors are locked and you can only get buzzed in at the front. But one of the schools I have notice often times I see side doors propped open. You can have all the security measures in the world. But if they aren't followed, it wont make a bit of difference.

Last edited:
Were families invited to the honor roll assembly? Perhaps protocols were a bit relaxed that day since families would have been coming and going. A side door propped open or something. I'm not placing any blame on the school, it is 100% the fault of the shooter, just thinking out loud.

The photos are heartbreaking. This stood out at me from the article. Red flag.

A school friend of Ramos's said that he sent him the photos of his guns too.

'He would message me here and there, and four days ago he sent me a picture of the AR he was using … and a backpack full of 5.56 rounds, probably like seven mags,' the friend told CNN.

'I was like, 'bro, why do you have this?' and he was like, 'Don't worry about it.'

'He proceeded to text me, 'I look very different now. You wouldn't recognize me,' he added.
  • Friends said he was a quiet kid who was bullied and had become increasingly unstable and violent as he got older, purchasing two rifles for his 18th birthday earlier this month - one of which was found in the school
Every red flag you needed to prevent him from buying a gun and body armor...

It seems clear to me that 18-year-old Salvador Ramos had no respect for the lives of the children he murdered or for the lives of the teachers.

It seems clear to me that he had no respect for his own life.

Lacking respect for their lives all that was needed was some anger or even frustration in his unstable and violent mind to set off a rampage… if only he could find a way to carry out his plan.

He found a way. :(:mad::(

Two brothers bought a plot of land. They decided to build their homes beside one another at the bottom of a gentle hill. They cleared the land to plant a garden to help feed their families, corn, tomatoes, carrots, and such. They decided to keep several trees at the top of the hill to shade their garden. They dubbed them The Sentinels.

When the rain didn't come the crops withered in the sun-baked earth. So the brothers decided they were going to create a reservoir to collect the rain. They dragged stones, large and small to the back of the garden near the trees. Using mortar they built an impressive reservoir, deep enough to catch the rain during those intense storms. They installed a waterproof lining, an electric pump and an irrigation system operated on a timer to sustain their crops.

It worked for a while but as the Sentinels grew larger their leaves became a problem. They'd fall into the reservoir blocking the water lines so the plants weren't getting enough moisture. The brothers spent a lot of time skimming the leaves off the water. Sometimes the leaves blocked the lines so heavily the water rose to the top of the reservoir causing a leak between the lining and the stone wall eroding the mortar. This happened with such frequency they decided to build the reservoir higher. So they dragged more stone to build it higher, mortared them in place, replaced the waterproof liner with a larger, more expensive one. They added a screen across the top (at much expense) to stop the leaves from falling into the water.

The Sentinels grew larger, and the branches that provided needed shade at the hottest time of the day now blocked the sun. The plants struggled because they were getting water but they also needed the sun. They grew as shade plants providing lots of greenery but no blooms which meant no fruit. One brother decided they should just give up on growing their own food. They'd done everything they could to encourage the plants. He said they couldn't fight nature. The other brother disagreed. He said the only thing they could do was get rid of the Sentinels. But they both agreed they'd be back to square one.

While they sat contemplating their dilemma one of the wives came out and asked them what they were doing. They explained the situation. The wife thought about it. She said "when the kids misbehave we take some of their privileges away. Can't you take something away? Instead of cutting down all the Sentinels, why not cut some of them down? Or better still, prune them. Let the sun shine in and let them provide shade."

The brothers looked at one another, shaking their heads in disbelief at the simplicity of the solution.

Apparently not.
And why did the responding police take so long to enter the building? I hope there's a full unbiased inquiry into every aspect of this horrific incident.

Thank God for the border patrol agent that ended this by killing the shooter. He did not wait for backup and entered the school. I believe that is the current trained protocol for LE in these school shooting events. IMO

HOW did he just walk in - are the doors not locked for safety?
In the school in which I taught, the doors were not locked. However, if there was an intruder, a coded announcement would be made using the word "red"--"Mrs. So and So, bring the red folder to the library."

Then we teachers would know to lock our doors and go into safety protocol in the far corner of the room.

Certainly not ideal, but I imagine this school didn't even have time to send out a coded announcement. That would at least would have had the classroom doors locked and the children away from doors and windows.

Victim Update

Eva Mireles (44)
Irma Garcia

Uziyah Garcia (9)
Amerie Jo Garza (10)
Makenna Lee Elrod (10)
Xavier Javier Lopez (10)
Jose Flores (10)
Navaeh Brown (10)
Annabell Guadalupe Rodriguez (10)
Ellie Lugo (10)
Alithia Ramirez (10)