Identified! TX - Williamson Co., 'Orange Socks' WhtFem 33UFTX, 15-30, off I-35, Oct'79 - Debra Jackson

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by SeriouslySearching, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Friday Fan

Friday Fan Active Member

Now, I pretty much doubt there is any connection between the transportation company and the R.E. West where Debra was employed. At first I thought maybe they were part of a larger business, but it looks like it was a small, local Tennessee Company in 1979. The history of the corporation on the website was a bit vague, but it appears it was started by someone who grew up in TN who was born in 1943 and died in 1999. Sounds like it started with a guy and a pick up who just kept getting work until eventually he realized he had real business potential in 1979.

Suglo and aThousandYearsWide like this.

2. Fuuro

Fuuro spicy user

I think that the key to figuring out what happened to Debra lies in finding out what she was doing in the years following her disappearance.

We know for a fact that she had a job in '79 for some realty investment firm. I'm not sure if Debra was still employed by these people at the time of her death or if she just worked for them earlier in the year. I'm leaning towards the latter, but for all we know, she could have never left / been fired from this job before she was killed. She might have simply stopped showing up for work one day without anyone really knowing why. If she did really somehow lose this job, she could have had difficulties in finding another one for some reason and ended up homeless.

To be honest, I really was never convinced that Debra had been transient for long, if ever. A few months ago, back when she was still unidentified, I posted about how her teeth were in surprisingly good condition relative to the rest of her body, meaning she had to at least have somewhere where she would go regularly to practice basic oral hygiene.

I think it's also possible that Debra could have been in some sort of toxic relationship at the time of her death. Her SO could have been abusive or unfaithful (hence the gonorrhea), and some of the details surrounding Debra's declining physical state at the time of her disappearance could be owed to the fact that she had lost the will to take care of herself. I read that Debra may have also been known as "Debra Larned" and "Debra Moon". Maybe she decided to take on the last name of a "husband" in her travels in the years after she left Abilene.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  3. Feme98

Feme98 Well-Known Member

Rest in peace Debra, it took nearly 4 decades for you to get your identity back, may justice for you come soon.

nannymo likes this.
  4. Fuuro

Fuuro spicy user

This might be relevant, but I always thought Debra looked a lot different in life than in her reconstructions/postmortem photos. Don't get me wrong; in terms of her facial features, the reconstructions are spot-on (even when compared to her childhood photos), but you can tell that she had been "living rough" in the period leading up to her death, even if she wasn't necessarily a transient.

Like I said in my last post on this thread, I'm really curious about this job at a real estate firm (?) that Debra had the same year that she was murdered. As I said before, she very well could have still held this job at the time of her death or close to her death. I wonder what the nature of her duties were at this job. If she had co-workers, maybe one of them heard Debra talking about people in her life who had been causing her problems.

Also, Debra might have been wearing those orange socks for a reason. Halloween was coming up. Maybe there was some sort of theme party or dress-up day at work. I guess some people try to spice up their outfits by wearing colorful ties/socks that go with the theme of an upcoming holiday.

I'm up in the air in regards to the relationship between Debra and her killer. When she was unidentified, I assumed that she had just been in the wrong place and the wrong time and had met the wrong person or people who ultimately took her life (i.e. via hitchhiking or sex work).

Now, though, I think that her life may have been slightly more stable than what I had initially thought. I think it's entirely possible that she wasn't hitchhiking at all. I also think it's likely that Debra had a permanent address at the time of her death (as in, something like an apartment or a house where she would have a room indefinitely). Even if Debra was not a transient, I'm not sure that Debra had the means to live alone. That means that wherever she was living, there were probably other people with whom she would have contact on a very regular basis, and they would have definitely noticed her absence.

Ginger21 likes this.
  5. Feme98

Feme98 Well-Known Member

I think that Debra could have been picked up by a truck driver with more men, all of whom wanted to take advantage of her and when she refused, they sexually assaulted and ended up by killing her, I don’t know if a clothing description was given by those witnesses who saw her earlier on the day, however, if it’s available, we could figure out if she was going to a costume-themed party or if she was wearing her job-clothing or a casual attire, I’d really want to know what she wore that day, so we can theorize on this.

Fuuro likes this.
  6. Fuuro

Fuuro spicy user

That theory seems very plausible, and it goes in line with the fact that DNA from at least two different men was found on Debra's body. It looks like multiple people were involved in her rape and murder.

If Debra didn't have a car, she could have relied on hitchhiking to get to and from work. I'm thinking doing so was common back then. I wasn't around, but I'm thinking that a lot of people used to hitchhike back in those days, even people who were not transient.

I am really interested in learning about Debra's living arrangements. I think it's possible that she could have been living with people who did not have the best intentions.

Feme98 likes this.
  7. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Wow that's great news to come back to.

The possibility she used the name "Debra Moon" startles me, though--any chance she became part of the Unification movement (the "Moonies")? I seem to remember that many of Moon's followers took that as their last name?

Al Ka and Alleykins like this.