U.S.-born journalist Marie Colvin dead as Syria targets press center

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Feb 22, 2012.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

First Anthony Shadid's death, now this. The Syrian war waxes ever more deadly. Assad must go.

Did Syrian army deliberately shell US reporter? Marie Colvin was
    warned 'if they find you they will kill you' days before rocket attack
    (Daily Mail)
    In 2010 Ms. Colvin spoke of the dangers of her profession:
    huge account of the Syrian war, and of this brave woman, with pictures and video, at link above

2. Loading...

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Marie Colvin's final report, from Baba Amr, where she was the only British-based journalist reporting the war; Sunday Times, 19 February 2012:

‘We live in fear of a massacre'
    much more at Sunday Times link above

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

[video=youtube;zn_vwVLzbp0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn_vwVLzbp0&feature=plcp&context=C3c978cbUDOEgsToPDskKIYyq7A6pqmPbskeTrSCTy[/video]

5. Frigga

Frigga New Member

Didn't I just hear a phone report on Anderson Copper 360 last night with Marie where they were showing the film footage of the little two year old boy, who died in front of her eyes in a makeshift hospital from shrapnel wounds?

I could swear it was her?!

SO SAD.

I was even thinking as I watched the report that she must be in grave danger herself, as the entire city was being shelled, was surrounded by snipers who are ready to shoot anyone trying to escape, with NO WHERE for occupants to go or run; only able to hide on the bottom floors of their buildings, hoping to survive while waiting for help (us) to do something.

I am just sick over this.

ETA- yes, it was her last night in Homs, Syria. Heart breaking and so very sad. I would imagine Anderson and her colleagues are just devastated over her death. She was a very brave, intelligent woman- RIP Marie Colvin

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Yes. That was Marie Colvin.

Marie Colvin Dead: Sunday Times Reporter Called Into Anderson Cooper's CNN Show on Tuesday (Huffington Post)

with video, more, at link

7. Frigga

Frigga New Member

Well wfgodot, sad to say- maybe the US and France will do something now that our own have been targeted and murdered.

Thank god they have the intercepted orders for the attack so that the lies attempted by the regime would be seen for what they are- LIES!

I feel we cannot just sit back and watch these people be massacred. I don't usually like to see us get involved in other skirmishes, but this is not that, and I don't see how we can sit back and not do something to save these innocent children, women, and men.

ETA wfgodot- spelled properly!

8. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Those who witness the brutality and write about the injustice and give voice to the voiceless victims of catastrophic circumstance are the only angels in this whole damned world.

9. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

My friend, Marie Colvin (blogs.channel4.com, by Lindsey Hilsum)
    more, a sterling appreciation of the woman, at link above

10. Lilachaze

Lilachaze New Member

Such an amazing woman very brave, my heart goes out to her family. All the people who are dying and being killed out there is awful.

11. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Colleague Ian Birrell in Daily Mail:

'Reports of my survival may be exaggerated': My brave friend Marie Colvin and a passion for speaking the truth
    a lengthy appreciation of this brave woman at link above