UK - 22 dead in explosion at Ariana Grande gig, Manchester, 22 May 2017 #2

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by Harmony 2, May 27, 2017.

1. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Good news - guilty of murder - sentencing later:

The brother of Manchester Arena bomber Salman Abedi has been found guilty of murdering 22 people. Hashem Abedi had denied helping to plan the "sudden and lethal" blast which killed or injured "nearly 1,000". The Old Bailey heard the pair worked together to source materials used in the suicide blast after an Ariana Grande show at the venue. Prosecutors said Hashem was "jointly responsible" with his brother for the attack on 22 May 2017.

Arena bomber's brother guilty of 22 murders

Alyce, Legally Bland, Hraefn and 2 others like this.

2. Legally Bland

Legally Bland Well-Known Member

A two-day sentencing hearing is under way but Abedi has refused to enter the courtroom.

Mr Justice Jeremy Baker said: "I have no power to direct that force be used to compel him to come into court."

Abedi had denied helping to plan the attack at the end of an Ariana Grande concert on 22 May 2017.

At his trial, jurors were told how the brothers worked together to source materials, which were used in the bombing.

On 17 March, he was found guilty of 22 counts of murder, one count of attempted murder - encompassing the remaining injured - and conspiring to cause explosions.

Manchester bomber's brother refuses to leave cell

dotr, ZaZara and Alyce like this.
  3. ZaZara

ZaZara Laot ze me denke, moele en me doon

Twitterfeed reporter Daniel Sandford
    @BBCDanielS

Mr Justice Jeremy Baker has said at the start of the hearing that there is a mandatory life sentence for murder, but the court is prohibited from making a "whole life order", because Hashem Abedi was under 21 when he committed the 22 murders. (He was 20, though he is now 23)

So this hearing is about what the "minimum term" Hashem Abedi should serve of his life sentence. If it was not for his age a "whole life order" would have been almost inevitable.

[So Hashem Abedi can potentially be released by the Parole Board many decades in the future, depending on what minimum term the judge passes]

Duncan Penny QC for the prosecution told the judge re a "whole life order": “Were your Lordship to pass such a sentence, the sentence would be an unlawful one”

[So in layman's terms this hearing is basically about how many decades Hashem Abedi will definitely serve in prison before being considered for parole]

No-one has ever before been convicted in England of 22 murders.

Gardenista, Legally Bland and dotr like this.
  4. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

5. Legally Bland

Legally Bland Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

6. ZaZara

ZaZara Laot ze me denke, moele en me doon

34.In this regard, although the defendant was only 20 years of age when his 22-year old brother detonated the improvised explosive device, this was not an impulsive event which took place on the spur of the moment. On the contrary, it was the product of careful and extensive planning and preparation in relation to which I am entirely satisfied that both brothers bore equal culpability.

35.Bearing all these matters in mind and standing back from the statutory scheme so as to ensure that the overall sentence is proportionate to the criminality involved in these offences, both in terms of culpability and harm, I consider that the appropriate minimum term for the sentences of life imprisonment on each of the counts of murder is one of 55 years.

CoverMeCagney, dotr and Legally Bland like this.
  7. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Sept 14 2020
    Manchester Arena Inquiry: Relatives present 'pen portraits'
    [​IMG]
    ''Bereaved families whose loved ones were killed in the Manchester Arena attack have shared their heartache as the inquiry heads into its second week.
    The father of Martyn Hett was the first to present a "pen portrait" of his son, whose "memory will shine brightly".
    The portraits will give each family the chance to present a personal insight into the lives of those who died.
    Twenty-two people were killed when Salman Abedi detonated a bomb as 14,000 fans left the arena in May 2017.
    The inquiry comes more than three years after the bombing at the end of an Ariana Grande concert, which left hundreds more injured.''

MajorHoople, Legally Bland and tesni like this.